Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco, Tesco, Tesco

Options
  • 18-07-2009 11:55pm
    Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭

So Celbridge & Maynooth are closed now for 2 days. how, oh how will we all survive!! how many people are going to be LIVID because they cant get their fags. And how many are going to go, see the signs and STILL go to the door. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

WTF!? How many Tesco's are they closing?! Newbridge is closed for two days too!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Novella wrote: »
    WTF!? How many Tesco's are they closing?! Newbridge is closed for two days too!

hahahaha. . . newbridge, naas, celbridge & maynooth! :D:D:D

it's times like this I wish I still worked there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kvn.ie

I wonder what the big refurb is all about?

Maybe they are adding a clothing section into the stores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

they are probably doing what they did up in dublin..matching prices with N.Ireland on some products..the mother says theres not much difference....but the tescos were closed for 3 days at the time i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

kvn.ie wrote: »
    I wonder what the big refurb is all about?

Maybe they are adding a clothing section into the stores?
    There changing the prices on their products similiar to the norths and also removing products and replacing them with cheaper imports.

• Advertisement

Yep, every store in the country is changing their prices!

I drove past teco celbridge today, the amount of people there was gas. then I went up and passed Aldi and the car park was jammers! soo funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Is Tesco Maynooth reopening tomorrow or Tuesday? No information on their website of course! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Love the tesco in maynooth, dont know why...definitly not the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Anyone been into Tesco in Maynooth this morning? Has much changed? Was it worth the 2 day closure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

eve wrote: »
    Anyone been into Tesco in Maynooth this morning? Has much changed? Was it worth the 2 day closure?

I was in tesco in the Square on Saturday evening (they changed a couple of weeks ago) - the price changes are quite substantial and the product changes are not as severe as some people were fearing. Most of the regular brands are still around along with plenty of additional ones.

My fav tipple is a good Ale and Bishop's finger is now €1.99 down from €2.99. Biug reductions in items such as mixers, olive oils, sauces, cereals, biscuits, some frozen foods etc etc

Expect an overall reduction of about 20% in your weekly shop this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭redalicat

Is this why it was so packed in the Newbridge Tesco this afternoon? Took us 40 minutes :mad: to get out of the car park, and I thought Christmas time was bad! Wasn't paying loads of attention, but my receipt did seem much lower than usual. However, how much did I waste in petrol waiting to get out of the place?

eve wrote: »
    You know, as simple as it may sound.... a price change is a massive massive issue. As is the changing of isles. It does not just mean taking the bread from isle 1 and moving it to isle 7. planograms have to be put in place. they are done by every 4ft shelving unit. can you imagine how many of those there are in Maynooth? S.E.L's (the barcoded label with the price of each item) has to be changed on the computer system, printed and placed in its new location with the old S.E.L most likely discarded. staff members have to physically take all stock down and restock its new location.

IMHO, to get this done in 2 days with a store the size of Maynooth is a challenge well done! because by god its alot harder than some obviously think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It was closed? Pity it reopened. Hate that store and refused to shop there even before they started freezing out Irish suppliers - even less chance of me darkening it's doors now.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

ChewChew wrote: »
    You know, as simple as it may sound.... a price change is a massive massive issue. As is the changing of isles. It does not just mean taking the bread from isle 1 and moving it to isle 7. planograms have to be put in place. they are done by every 4ft shelving unit. can you imagine how many of those there are in Maynooth? S.E.L's (the barcoded label with the price of each item) has to be changed on the computer system, printed and placed in its new location with the old S.E.L most likely discarded. staff members have to physically take all stock down and restock its new location.

IMHO, to get this done in 2 days with a store the size of Maynooth is a challenge well done! because by god its alot harder than some obviously think!

It wasn't my intention to belittle the task they had. It know what a pain it can be - I used to work retail!

My main question was whether the reductions were going to be substantial enough to justify Tesco claiming that this was going to be 'BIG'.

I was afraid that they would knock a few cent off enough products to say that it was a big thing when in reality the price reductions would be in the low percentage figures.

I was in Maynooth last night. I only had a couple of things to get so I didn't cover much of the store. But I did some spot checking among cereal, tea, biscuits, dairy, etc and I can see that the price drops are big enough to make a difference to people. Many products have gone down by 25-30% although I was looking mostly at their own-brand and lesser known brands rather than the Coca-Cola's and Kelloggs of this world.

I would guess that this would knock about 15-20% off my bills there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Macros42 wrote: »
    It was closed? Pity it reopened. Hate that store and refused to shop there even before they started freezing out Irish suppliers - even less chance of me darkening it's doors now.

I had expected a lot of Irish suppliers to be squeezed out, but I've found that very few Irish items have diappeared. As for squeezing out irish distributors - why should consumers pay an extra 30% for some third party to take goods from a UK warehouse to an irish warehouse and then deliver to the stores? - as a small retailer I've always tried to avoid distributors, so why not tesco too?

Did notice that they have their "Irish" tag on Jacobs Biscuits - tut tut, these are no longer made in Ireland though it is an Irish brand.

Advertisement