Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 316 discontinued?

• 19-07-2009 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I've been looking at buying a 2006 BMW 316.

I've recently heard from a friend that the 316 is no longer in production - is this true?

If so would this have an impact in future years in getting spare parts etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Think the 316 ended in 2004. If an model or in this case engine is discontinued, it should make no difference for spare parts in the future, unless of course the model sold very little in the first part. That wont be a problem with the BMW's.

Why do you want the 316 particularly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

There are loads of 2008 316s for sale on t'internet.

You should be alright for parts for 30 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I have a '91 318is that ended production in '91 but any parts I need, I just go into my local BMW dealers with my chassis number and they can order whatever I need from their computer. I seriously doubt you'll have trouble getting parts in years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The 316 died when we moved from an engine-sized to CO2-based road tax in 2008.

AFAIK any manufacturer has to supply parts for 10 years after a model has left production. That (unverifiable fact), plus the fact that the popularity of the 316 will ensure that there are plenty of spurious parts, should reassure you with regards to parts availablility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I think Ireland was one of the exclusive countries to have this model until it was made redundant under the July 2008 VRT changes.

Edit: Chris got in there a second before me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

only wimmins buy 316's.....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It is reborn!

(but with a "d" badge rather than an "i").

OP, see if you can get hold of a BMW with an engine in the front rather than a sewing machine. A 1.6 in a car like that is a total disgrace and is a terrible drive.

high horse wrote: »
    I have a '91 318is that ended production in '91 but any parts I need, I just go into my local BMW dealers with my chassis number and they can order whatever I need from their computer. I seriously doubt you'll have trouble getting parts in years to come

exact same story with my '90 318is ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

OP, wait until you drive one. Going up a hill is a celebration when the car makes it up eventually, and worse again is the throttle response - it's non existent. Gently feed it in, or floor it and it makes no difference, the car still crawls no matter what you do to it.

Get a 318i and remap it, or get a 318d and remap that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sheva

Thanks for all the responses.

The general census seems to be that the 316 is not a good car.

Is this because the 1.6 engine is too small for the BMW 3 series, or that a 1.6 engine is just too small in general (i.e in any car)?

To be honest I'm not looking for a BMW that gets from zero to 60 in 6 or 7 seconds etc.

I picked a BMW because I like the look (although my mind may change).
    I guess the question is, if I needed to overtake a car (when necessary) would the 316 give enough acceleration to do so?

I drive a 97 Fiesta at the moment (not the quickest I know) - whenever a 316 passes me out on a hill etc it seems to by quite easlily.

Does the 318 really give that much extra acceleration over the 316?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

In fairness to BMW the 316 was created to allow those who simply must have a BMW to have one without having to resort to a Compact. It was very successful marketing by BMW.

No, the 316i is about as dangerous as they come when you need to do an overtake. It's terrifyingly slow.

Bear in mind though that before 2005, the 316i was a larger engine, and if you see one of those on the road, they wouldn't have too much of an issue overtaking your fiesta. The 2006 316i though in a drag race with a Micra would probably have it's ass handed to it on a plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote: »
    You should be alright for parts for 30 years or so.

+1

Parts are never an issue - it's a very profitable business. A bit like an oligarchy. Even when a company goes bust, like Rover, parts will be readily available for ever (as long as there is demand)
    R.O.R wrote: »
    It is reborn!

(but with a "d" badge rather than an "i").

OP, see if you can get hold of a BMW with an engine in the front rather than a sewing machine. A 1.6 in a car like that is a total disgrace and is a terrible drive.

The 316d has the same engine as the 318d and the 320d and it is 2l. Confusing, what? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

They've discontinued one version out of a pretty big range of cars, so parts won't be an issue. I can't see the 316 having that many unique parts. That said, there is no reason to buy this car.

The only unique part of the 316i in comparisson to the rest of the 3 series fleet is the engine - which is shared with the 116i, so parts will not ever be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sheva

Thanks for advice

Advertisement