Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've been suspended

Options
  • 19-07-2009 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently working with a large non-Irish owned retailer and have been for the last 10 months. It's a one year contract in a trainee graduate type program required to finish my studies and qualify. I only have 10 weeks left to complete

I was called up and suspended with full pay for a comment I made about the company on a forum. Nothing in the comment was defamatory or in any way was bad about the company - it was essentially me saying that I didn't like them and I was happy some people weren't going to come to us as customers. I didn't identify myself with the post however they seem to have managed to figure out it was me from little bits in other posts.

I have two issues - firstly if I'm dismissed I have to do this training year again with someone else which won't be easy when I'll have to say I was dismissed this year! Secondly the way it was done - I don't believe it's properly confidential. A manager spoke to me about the allegation then I had to leave room so they could ring HR then they spoke to me again and I had to leave room so they could ring HR again and then they spoke to me again and then I had to leave.. all an hour and a half after I came into work. It's plainly obvious - I feel - to the others that work there that I'm in trouble and have been suspended or the like. One important fact is that on my notice of suspension it clearly states that I have not been found guilty of anything wrong at this stage... I am suspended with full pay while they investigate. However I feel this is punitive... my character has had a shadow on it in work. Also there are some training days coming up (there are a few every month which all trainees of the same grade as me from other branches of the company go to together) and I have been told I may not attend these. Surely this can be seen as "punishment"? I will be at a disadvantage to the others and also they will be asking me why I'm not there!

I have looked in the company handbook and it doesn't mention anything about this type of thing. There is reference to a code of conduct but I don't know whether that's a seperate one or not. I signed a lot of things on the first day but don't remember anything about internet behaviour etc.

I'm not sure whether the issue is that (a) I made a post about them on the internet and they didn't like the language used or (b) they think that because I was happy some people wouldn't be coming to us as customers that I would behave badly to customers in the course of my work. If it is (b) frankly I think it's ridiculous.. I have full confidence that I give excellent customer care to all customers and always go that extra step for them. In the 10 months I've been here I have never had negative feedback from my line manager. I have also spent some time working in other branches of the business and have always been told I'm extremely welcome to go back.

Frankly I'm scared... Having to repeat this year would just cause so many problems. Posting the comment online was silly immature and on reflection I wouldn't do it again. I don't know what I'm asking... am I likely to be dismissed? Do I have a case about the way the suspension was handled and missing the training days?

Advertisement