Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most You've lost

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭jacool

laid a 17/2 shot big on Betfair (where 4 poker hands come up and the hands are played out by robot). Ace pair up against 8/7 mixed black and 7/8 mixed black, and nothing hand. laid the 8/7 which had the 8 that had most cards showing e.g. there were 6 clubs on screen and 3 spades, so laid the 8 clubs hand. needless to say it went flush on last card ! ! so the 8 club beat the 7 club. won't say what i lost but you can guess it hurt ! ! ! both hands were 17/2 second favs and i thought i had picked the right one !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

jacool wrote: »
    laid a 17/2 shot big on Betfair (where 4 poker hands come up and the hands are played out by robot). Ace pair up against 8/7 mixed black and 7/8 mixed black, and nothing hand. laid the 8/7 which had the 8 that had most cards showing e.g. there were 6 clubs on screen and 3 spades, so laid the 8 clubs hand. needless to say it went flush on last card ! ! so the 8 club beat the 7 club. won't say what i lost but you can guess it hurt ! ! ! both hands were 17/2 second favs and i thought i had picked the right one !

double dutch to me Im afraid! How much!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,520 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

double dutch to me Im afraid! How much!

+1 . I thought it was arabic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

read it 3 times got it,badly explained, so you lost how much?

my most was €500 on a boxing match couldn't see 1 guy lose @ 1/2.....
    on the p1ss all day mentioned it to 2 buddies was thinking of doing €200 to pay for the days pinting,as the evening progressed the 2 lads(heavier gamblers) lumped on €1000 and €500 so i did €500 aswell... never again

some fun texting on the result to the 2 lads next morning with a serious sh1thead:(.......back under covers for the day:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

€440 last season backing France away to England. To make matters worse it was over after 15 min when England were about 20pts up. I learned a lesson that day, never back France when they're expected to win because they think they just have to turn up.

The worst bet I lost was a few years ago now. I layed France against England in some world cup or Euro cup match. England were comfortable and leading in injury time when France (who were about 500/1 on betfair at this point) equalised. Then from the resulting kickoff Gerard passed the ball back without looking and Henry collected and rounded the keeper to score. I've since learned that the bigger the match the more likely things like that happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

lost fiver on big brother..

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

profitius wrote: »
    €440 last season backing France away to England. To make matters worse it was over after 15 min when England were about 20pts up. I learned a lesson that day, never back France when they're expected to win because they think they just have to turn up.

The worst bet I lost was a few years ago now. I layed France against England in some world cup or Euro cup match. England were comfortable and leading in injury time when France (who were about 500/1 on betfair at this point) equalised. Then from the resulting kickoff Gerard passed the ball back without looking and Henry collected and rounded the keeper to score. I've since learned that the bigger the match the more likely things like that happens.
    Ha ha interesting i had England backed in that same rugby match last march and had was waiting for france to beat England in an accum in that same game in euro 2004,couldnt believe my luck when france came fom behind to win in injury time..An a more depressing note lost 3 grand on kerry to beat tyrone last year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

On a single bet, precisely €2,995 on a 15/8 shot on the flat, midfield the whole way round, flew home, done a head. Switched off the laptop and went to sleep...woke up the next day and just moved on from it.

That night was my worst in a cummulative sense, I did €5,500 approx, my entire Betfair bank. Said bank had been built up from an initial lodgement of €200 but that's a silly way of looking at things, and one of the things I learned most from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Most is a couple of hundred, but the most painful is when I lost €100 on Liverpool. I have a "no Liverpool" policy which I ignored and of course led me to losing a bet. So it wasn't the money which bothered me, but the lack of self descipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Roughly €1400, my entire bank built from a €70 deposit. A lesson that had to be taught I guess!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

300euro on a definite front-runner in-play at a big price. Looking to lay it off when he hit the front. Jockey unseated 5 yards from the stalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 pandyx

I cant remember the year but Barcelona were playing Valencia in the S-F of the Champs league, back when Rivaldo used to play for Barca...

all thru the comp I was massively with Barca in every match then I made the misatke of going to the pub to watch the semis...I was buying barca on the supremacy, performance etc any way I could possibly get with them...they went 1nil down...I ploughed in again, they went 2nil down and I begin to physically shake! I was about 20 at the time and was only on about 17k a year at the time and ended up doing about 2 months wages!

Lesson learnt though....ahem. kind of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,863 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

on a single bet 80 punts (bout 14/15years ago)
    i was earning 130 a week
    was the champion stakes and id been backing halling all season
    and the second fav bosra sham was reported to have had an injury
    scare, dashed to the bookie before word got out and got the 6/4 available
    was feeling smug half expecting bosra to be pulled out as it was a 2 horse race on all known form. Hallings price shortened almost immediately but i got the value..ha ha
    bosra sailed home halling 2nd
    i worked for worked for paddy power at the time and i felt terrible
    would be the same as losing 300 plus now to be but i was broke
    back then so it hurt a lot more and i was miserable for days

in a day 200 quid, again a long time ago
    the day before sindar won the derby actually
    went chasing all day and to rub it in i fancied sindar for
    the derby and changed my mind and swithed to sakhee at
    the last minute...sinndar won sakhee came second
    the funny thing was a few days later doing my usual
    small bets i got it all back doin what i normally did by
    investing around a fiver and having all three horses win

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

Big believer in the adage that it is healthy to speak of ones losses so here goes two dingers for ye!
    Biggest single loss ever was back in 2002. Its comin up fast on the anniversary of it as the US Open Tennis is on at present. I really fancied Agassi to win this from the start. I am pretty sure he was ranked about 6 at the time but he was in a great run of form and looked the value. He sailed through the Tournament and found himself in the final against a pretty worn out Sampras. Pistol Pete had been through the wars with Rusedski and I think Tommy Haas in earlier rounds and was ranked outside of the Worlds top 16. I will never forget that Agassi was a touch better than 4/7 to win it outright and I lumped it all on. My complete bank in Betfair. A cool £10k. I was in Amsterdam on a stag for the night in question and I was so confident of it I said I would stay back in the hotel and watch the first set to just make sure all was going to plan. Sampras wins the 1st set 6-3, the next 6-4 and I was a quivering wreck! But.......
    Sampras was starting to look a little weary.. Agassi comes back to win the 3rd 5-7 I think, and I think that this is it. But no.. Pete wins and I am flattened.
    There are plenty of other bets and stories but that is the one that hurt and stung most. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Apologies about dragging up an old thread lads but it is still relevant.

Had my biggest loss a few weeks back.
    Opened up a betpack account on a Wednesday. Deposited 25 quid and by the saturday I had 700 quid. Did some bets and I was happy to sit out for the day...then I read about Paul Nicholls and his ''banker'' Hinterland at 30/100. 500 quid to make 150,thought it was a shoe in.
    The rest is history.

I wouldn't mind but if I didn't do that bet I would have gotten the balance to over a grand thanks to a 12/1 shot Powerstation winning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Apologies about dragging up an old thread lads but it is still relevant.

Had my biggest loss a few weeks back.
    Opened up a betpack account on a Wednesday. Deposited 25 quid and by the saturday I had 700 quid. Did some bets and I was happy to sit out for the day...then I read about Paul Nicholls and his ''banker'' Hinterland at 30/100. 500 quid to make 150,thought it was a shoe in.
    The rest is history.

I wouldn't mind but if I didn't do that bet I would have gotten the balance to over a grand thanks to a 12/1 shot Powerstation winning

In the true addicts mind you only lost €25 ;) . Thats how I justify those type of losses to myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Derek!

€300 it cost me when Dublin beat Kerry, money well spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

€20
    But thats nearly a weekly loss these days :mad:
    No betting now for at least a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

Not most ive lost but feels like it right now..
    150e @7/4 on Whitlock and Lewis Dbl last night . Thought it was a near certainty but not to be
    I am giving up gambling on anything until 01/March / 2011

Hopefully i can last and come back stronger

In the true addicts mind you only lost €25 ;) . Thats how I justify those type of losses to myself anyway.

Defo, only 25 Urbs, nothing to worry about there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

350 on Kauto Star in the King George last January... the one that was postoned for a few weeks due to snow/weather. Long Run won it.

Stuck 20 on the Star there a few days ago in the King George and got 80 back

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭jkelly85

Cheslea vs portsmouth
    F.A Cup final about 3 years ago

Had 650 on Chelsea -1

Cheslea winning 1-0 and then with about 5 mins to go they get a pen, up steps lampard who misses it. Was so sick after that and still hate lampard to this day over that ha

Don't blame you j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Probably a tenner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Probably a tenner

Hardly worth posting really eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Hardly worth posting really eh?

Touche

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

lost 140 euro in a game of 'in between' about 6/7 years ago -

Still a dirty, dirty, DIRTY, bastard of a game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

alproctor wrote: »
    lost 140 euro in a game of 'in between' about 6/7 years ago -

Still a dirty, dirty, DIRTY, bastard of a game

Ha ha I think its a great game.:D

It always starts off slow but when it gets going pots can get huge even people who dont gamble normally start throwing 50's on the table.

What's in between?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What's in between?

Its a card game where everyone gets 2 cards.

ace is lowest and king is highest

then the dealer deals everyone a third card on your turn and you bet
    on your next card being in between your other 2 cards.
    if u get a card the same as your two cards or a card higher or lower you lose ..

if you win you take whatever you bet out of the pot and if u lose u leave it in the pot.

the amounts of times tho when a ace king comes up tho and someone bets the whole pot only for their next card to be a ace or king is unreal tho.

hope l explained that clearly enough

Advertisement