Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 week problem advice needed!

Options
  • 19-07-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

hi, twice in the last eight months i have given up smoking, both times for exactly seven weeks! I dont know what the problem is. At each attempt im very confident that this will be it and both times i gave in and went back to smoking as much as before. Can anyone advise? Im starting attempt three today!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    hi, twice in the last eight months i have given up smoking, both times for exactly seven weeks! I dont know what the problem is. At each attempt im very confident that this will be it and both times i gave in and went back to smoking as much as before. Can anyone advise? Im starting attempt three today!

Seeing as you are writing this on a Sunday morning I presume you relapse after you've had a few drinks at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Seeing as you are writing this on a Sunday morning I presume you relapse after you've had a few drinks at the weekend?
    no unfortunately i wasnt drinking on either occasion so i dont even have that excuse! The only reason im writing this on a sunday is that sunday is the day i always quit, or should i say attempt to quit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Chances are pretty good that its coincidental.
    7 weeks has no relevance in itself.
    Its not a quit milestone of any type.
    Its just your unlucky point in quit time.

It should help you a lot to reinforce the reasons why you stopped.

A regular read of whyquit.com to make sure you never get complacent will hopefully see you past your 7 week hangup.

(I'm still reinforcing 6 months later. Probably don't need to but why chance a relapse )

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

Pal wrote: »
    Chances are pretty good that its coincidental.
    7 weeks has no relevance in itself.
    Its not a quit milestone of any type.
    Its just your unlucky point in quit time.

It should help you a lot to reinforce the reasons why you stopped.

A regular read of whyquit.com to make sure you never get complacent will hopefully see you past your 7 week hangup.

(I'm still reinforcing 6 months later. Probably don't need to but why chance a relapse )

Good luck

Thanks Pal, hopefully thats all it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I think re-enforcing why you want to give up is a great way to stay off the smokes. Every time i had previously got off the smokes i went on them at weak moments.

But this time i have a little ultrasound picture of my son or daughter thats currently brewing away in my Gf, haha! Anytime i feel like going for a smoke i take a look at the picture and it reminds me why im giving up the smokes.

So i completely agree with reminding yourself of your reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Definitley +1 to www.whyquit.com

Am only on Day 8 but I'm on whyquit every day as it is really helping me through. Great way reminding oneself why you're doing it and why you can never have another puff again.

Very well done on seven weeks, if you can do seven weeks you can do forever.

Advertisement