Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the 2009 strike helped Cork hurling?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Orizio wrote: »
    Not sure really, but there is little doubt the strike had a very positive effect, even if unintended, to Cork GAA regarding underage structure.

I'm not denying it'll probably do your underage structure good in the long term for sure, but I think Gerald would have every reason to feel even more bitter than he already is about the saga if Cork people continue to disregard the fact that, as things stand, he has greater success than Denis Walsh, even though both had essentially the exact same panel of players at their disposal.

And while Walsh had only a months preparations with the players before the Championship, remember thats what the players chose. They rathered bringing in a new man only a few weeks before the Cork game and give him little to no time to stamp his authority, than give Gerald a full 4-5 months preparation for the same game.

They knew they would be miles behind the other counties in terms of laying the foundations for the summer, so with that came added pressure on the players to step up and make themselves, the Cork people and indeed Gerald McCarthy believe it was the right decision. It didn't work, and their reputations have been damaged further as a result imo.
    Cork 5-24 Waterford 3-09 btw. :D

:eek: Jaysus, them intermediates love going easy on ya ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Back to the O.P. I think it could be benifical in the medium term as a few lads will have to pack it in despite the fact the average age of the team was only 26. There was obviously a deep rooted feeling on both sides and I would not discount more hassle if there are not changes at CCC.

The CLUBS will have to ensure there are changes made. The CLUBS will have to come up with proposals for these development officers.

Its no guarentee that development officers will solve the problems in Cork. It also does'nt need to be radical but it does need people in all areas to read of the same hymn sheet.

Time to get your motions ready for Cork convention, that is if ye really want change:p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Fear na gCrub

At least Dónal Óg can now concentrate on what he does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

At least Dónal Óg can now concentrate on what he does best.

As much as I dislike the man he was actually one of if not their best player in the Galway match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭shockframe

i hate to say it but yes. the fact is that cork have been successful in recent years has been in spite of the ccb not beacause of them.too easy to say that they are finished but once kilkenny go through a bad patch they will still be one of the best out of a bad lot.the only thing that will help them is that limerick,clare,waterford and wexford are not really delivering at underage.they have a huge pick.it could take 10 years before we see the benefit of underage planning but once it pays off theres no telling how good they could become.

although the way jbm refused the 21 job this week shows the ccb has a lot to learn yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

shockframe wrote: »
    i hate to say it but yes. the fact is that cork have been successful in recent years has been in spite of the ccb not beacause of them.too easy to say that they are finished but once kilkenny go through a bad patch they will still be one of the best out of a bad lot.the only thing that will help them is that limerick,clare,waterford and wexford are not really delivering at underage.they have a huge pick.it could take 10 years before we see the benefit of underage planning but once it pays off theres no telling how good they could become.

although the way jbm refused the 21 job this week shows the ccb has a lot to learn yet.

I'd say the Waterford and Clare boys arent going to let that slide ;) Waterford have won the minor, are in the U-21 Final both at the expense of Tipp teams that beat Cork and this added to the recent success of de la salle things arent as bleak as you may think down in the deise, and Clare are in said u-21 final with a very good team which in all reality should be going for a two in a row and last year iirc they beat Cork in the munster minor championship!

* Cant believe I just posted defending Waterford and Clare hurling, fcuk I feel dirty :P

I'd say the Waterford and Clare boys arent going to let that slide ;) Waterford have won the minor, are in the U-21 Final both at the expense of Tipp teams that beat Cork and this added to the recent success of de la salle things arent as bleak as you may think down in the deise, and Clare are in said u-21 final with a very good team which in all reality should be going for a two in a row and last year iirc they beat Cork in the munster minor championship!

* Cant believe I just posted defending Waterford and Clare hurling, fcuk I feel dirty :P

i know waterford won the minor recently but that was their first win in 17 years at the grade.the 21s last won in 94.its a starting point i suppose but they need a few more minor/21 wins as the senior team look to be in decline.clare should win the under 21 next week but with they discontent with the county board and the current senior form they look to be in serious trouble.limerick made a bit of improvement at minor this year but unless the rugby hype is halted its gonna be a lost cause.the standard of club hurling is dreadful though.at least patrickswell are coming good again by the looks of it.

cork will always be there or thereabouts because of the population and even with zero support from the county board they are still ahead of limerick,clare,waterford but just behind tipp.if this underage plan goes ahead i hate to think how far behind limerick,clare,waterford will be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I don't understand your first point to much Shockframe. I mean is it not better for our 2010 panel to succed in 2009 and minor and under 21 rather then not. I mean it doesnt matter in the last 17 years we hant done well under age coz we did well senior. So theorehticaly speaking if we do better at underage will our senior team not become a stronger team?

I think the futures looking as bright as ever as far as talent goes. The one thing I worry is will we eevr have a scorer like Paul Flynn again, or someone with as much heart as Ken, or someone to play into their late 30s?? Its beyond me how a team containing these 3 didnt win an all ireland.

Saying this if we strengten up the likes of Maurice shan, Thomas Ryan, maybe a taller noel connors, maybe give maher more experience and then theres the minors. I think we have a lot more to look forward to than other counties.

And premier are you a waterford supporter in disguise? :P Defending us at the expense of your own team!! its greatly appreciated lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Daysha wrote: »
    Was that really the aim of the 08 panel though, to implement permanent youth development officers? It's not Gerald McCarthys fault that youth structures in the county is a mess.

Does it matter?

The question was has the strike helped Cork Hurling, and the answer is yes because of the changes to the youth structure, the creation of the clubs forum etc.

I think the next year or two will really tell if it helped Cork hurling or not.....

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    I don't understand your first point to much Shockframe. I mean is it not better for our 2010 panel to succed in 2009 and minor and under 21 rather then not. I mean it doesnt matter in the last 17 years we hant done well under age coz we did well senior. So theorehticaly speaking if we do better at underage will our senior team not become a stronger team?

I think the futures looking as bright as ever as far as talent goes. The one thing I worry is will we eevr have a scorer like Paul Flynn again, or someone with as much heart as Ken, or someone to play into their late 30s?? Its beyond me how a team containing these 3 didnt win an all ireland.

Saying this if we strengten up the likes of Maurice shan, Thomas Ryan, maybe a taller noel connors, maybe give maher more experience and then theres the minors. I think we have a lot more to look forward to than other counties.

And premier are you a waterford supporter in disguise? :P Defending us at the expense of your own team!! its greatly appreciated lol

forgot about this. im not sure what you mean by the first point you made about the first point i made.

look all im trying to say is 1 minor in 17 years is very poor.we havent won one since 1984 and look where we are.waterford only had 2 wins in 12 years at minor aswell outside of kerry if i remember rightly.i have seen some deise minor/21 teams and the work rate of some players leaves a lot to be desired.cork and tipp shared every minor title between themselves from 93 to 2007 and will always have a number of players that will always have an advantage when playing the other 3 teams.

the senior team are in a period of transition and losing the likes of paul flynn,dan and ken if they retire etc will leave a huge gap to fill.from what i saw of waterford in the minor semi only no. 9 and 11 would be a year or two away from senior.

as i said before i would like to see waterford do well but things can change very quickly in gaa.look at teams like clare,wexford,offaly and limerick over the years.these teams deluded themselves into thinking that the good times would carry on but have paid the price.

deise_girl wrote: »
    I think the next year or two will really tell if it helped Cork hurling or not.....

Not at all, the next decade is when we should see the underage reforms working.

Number 15, Ian Galgey isnt half bad either.. Off the top of my head.

Yeh Im trying to see how to phrase it, I'll try again. We havn't done well underage in the last 17 years or so you say. Yet the last 10 years we have had a decent senior team. Where did they come from?? But if we do well at underage ether the standard should go up for senior leval or we should have many more to pick from in the next couple of years.

The next 10 years.. Your giving yourselves time anyway.

Well thats invariably what it takes to produce winning underage teams and bring the best players to senior level. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdadude

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Tipp 1-19 Cork 0-19
    Cork 3-19 Offaly 1-12
    Galway 1-19 Cork 0-15

So, a fairly disappointing campaign in the Rebel county, with the only victory coming against a weak Offaly side with a solitary threat. Have things really moved on since the strike?

Whatever the reasons for their grievances, the decision to stop playing under Gerald McCarthy showed a massive disrespect for the man and the league. Can anybody say things would have been worse in this seasons championship had McCarthy still been in charge, and the "2008 panel" (for want of a better phrase) on the pitch? The problem, it seems to me, wasn't with McCarthy or the managerial selection process but was more to do with the current team being on a downward spiral and struggling to grasp that reality.

And what for the future? Can anyone see the current crop of youngsters challenging Kilkenny, Tipp, Galway (or even Dublin) for All-Irelands over the coming years?

Dublin being too good for Cork?You're joking right.

Cork are a lot better then the majority of teams.
    With the exception of Kilkenny they're as good as anybody still.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

KerranJast wrote: »
    The strike was more about the future of Cork hurling than this season. Too early to tell if it was worth making the stand.

Have to agree. 2009 was always going to be written off and possibly 2010. There was much that needed changing and the strike perhaps highlighted that. Sadly, the reasons behind the strike were beyond the comprehension of some commentators, clearly not familiar with the situation on the ground. Let's hope that there are more positive times ahead and that hurling will be the winner in the longer term.

Advertisement