Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alexisonfire - Old crows young cardinals

Options
  • 19-07-2009 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Has anyone heard this album yet?

I had loved everything this band had ever released (except maybe city and colour which was good but lacked substance) but old crows is one of the worst albums I have heard in a long time.

I'm heartbroken.

Anyone else bought it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It was one of three albums that I picked up yesterday, the other two being the Beatles' "1", and Clutch's "Strange Cousins from the West" (which is bloody excellent")

As for Old crows.... I have only listened to it once but it sounds alright to me.You know what you are going to get with Alexisonfire and this album is typical of their sound imho.

Give it a few more spins though, if you loved their earlier stuff then this may grow on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Yeah, honestly it sounds like bog-standard fare from these guys. Probably a little more melodic and less aggressive than the last album. Not really my cup of tea anyway, there's quite simply nothing that particularly stands out to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I personally like the album, its no crisis(which i think is one of the best albums in the last 5 years) but its good. They keep up the Alexisonfire sound and put in a bit more melody. Its nothing to write home about though, id give it an 8/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

I dunno, I think it just sounds lazy.
    The production is fantastic but the songwriting sounds tired and slow. And the contrast between Green and the lead singer (whatever his name is) isn't really prominent, which was one of my favourite elements on previous albums.

I have listened to it a fair bit and i still can't pick out a particularly striking song, vs. Watch Out where all of the songs were striking.

And they are skipping Ireland on their European tour!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Shane_C wrote: »
    I dunno, I think it just sounds lazy.
    The production is fantastic but the songwriting sounds tired and slow. And the contrast between Green and the lead singer (whatever his name is) isn't really prominent, which was one of my favourite elements on previous albums.

I have listened to it a fair bit and i still can't pick out a particularly striking song, vs. Watch Out where all of the songs were striking.

And they are skipping Ireland on their European tour!!!!!
    I thought the production was down a bit on crisis myself. Old crows/young cardinals sounds a little flat to me, doesnt really bring out the energy of the band.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

I don't think Old Crows/ Young Cardinals is a brilliant album, but its not the worst ive ever heard. its the bands fourth album, and unlike some bands they put in some effort, whilst other bands (Marilyn Manson) just come out with total crap in order to make money. And tbh, it was always going to be incredibly difficult to top Crisis.
    Also, i think Petit's voice has changed a bit, its not as rough, and that may have had an effect on the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Patricide wrote: »
    Old crows/young cardinals sounds a little flat to me, doesnt really bring out the energy of the band.

I think you hit the nail on the head there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Cloee wrote: »
    Also, i think Petit's voice has changed a bit, its not as rough, and that may have had an effect on the album

I was a bit pessimistic when they mentioned in an interview that he'd be stopping the screaming thing, I quite like his new sound, but is it an improvement? No.

I really dont think they can out do Crisis though, that album is brilliance.

Favourite song isnt on Crisis either though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Just listening to this now for the first time. I like it.

Advertisement