Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Dimension memory upgrade disaster!!

Options
  • 19-07-2009 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello ,
    I'm just trying to upgrade my memory on my dell dimension 3000, i bought two 1gb memory cards from mr memory( a reliable uk site), now i wasn't totally sure which dimension i had but had three choices available for a dell dimension 3000 from this website:
    http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory/Details.asp

two were the same memory for a dell dimension 3000 (800Mhz FSB) and for a dell dimension 3000N: 184 Pin DDR3200 400MHz type of memory
    and one was for a dell dimension 533MHz FSB: 184 Pin DDR2700 333MHz

having looked at the dell ireland website i noticed that only the 400 MHz was available:
    http://search.euro.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=ie&l=en&cs=&k=dell+dimension+3000+memory&cat=all&x=0&y=0

and the 333MHz isn't available on dell Ireland so i presumed it wasn't that one.. I've taken the old memory out and one stick says 333MHz!! Doh! looks like i got it wrong... any advice at all would be very welcome! wonder how returns policy on these items are...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

If the memory is rated higher than the memory currently in the system then you're fine, it will just run slower than it's potential speed.
    The most important thing is that you got the correct type as in DDR, DDR2, ECC or Registered....

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bikefreakvinnie

Hi Sickboy, thanks for that, but how do i know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

pc2700 is 333Hz
    pc3200 is 400Hz

Both should work in the dimension 3000. Judging from the ram speed, you possibly have a celeron, the ram speed really only matters with regards the processor, if you had a pentium 4 or similar the pc2700 wouldn't let you get the most from your processor, but the pc3200 should work with yours.

edit: bah sickboy in before me haha

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bikefreakvinnie

Just saw its a pentium 4, so should this work!?
    I also tried to upgrade my bios and downloaded a one, would i be on the right track with that!..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

yeah, pc3200 will be fine, I can't see them sticking in 333mhz if it didn't match the processor. so eitherway, you'll be fine with pc2700 or pc3200 :)

If the computer works fine, DON'T upgrade the bios. If it's not broken, don't fix it :P

If I remember correctly the dimension 3000s bios can only be upgraded from floppy and that can be messy if you do something wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement