Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dashboard update

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

rizzla wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/16/xbox-live-update-detailed-games-on-demand-netflix-queue-movie/

I guess the netflix stuff won't be included for us but it all sounds good. No facebook, twitter or last.fm. No mention of the Sky player thing.

Twitter, last.fm, etc wont be released until around Sept/Oct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Speaking of the sky player, does anyone know when its going to be released? In time for the premiership being back? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭brennaldo

i dont think before it starts but definatly before the new year,

wonder if its only gonna be platinum/classic 360 games like kameo or mass effect that will be downloadable (id be probably dreaming if i though they would release newish games too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I wonder if they will be adding support for any more movie codecs such as MKV (for playing HD content)?

...when they added the DIVX support it was excellent

Also adding support for the NTFS file system would be cool (and logical since its a MS standard) so we could use larger external HDD's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i can't see they'll rush to add support for external HDD's - they wouldn't be able to sell you movies then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

neacy69 wrote: »
    I wonder if they will be adding support for any more movie codecs such as MKV (for playing HD content)?

...when they added the DIVX support it was excellent

Also adding support for the NTFS file system would be cool (and logical since its a MS standard) so we could use larger external HDD's

No .mkv support added according to people on xbox-scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

no mkv, no ntfs, no ise
    3 main reasons i'm buying a dedicated media player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just announced..... this update is out for everyone on Tuesday August 11th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They also said more features will be added ''later in the Fall'', which should include Zune marketplace, Facebook, Twitter and a few other things. Strange that they aren't holding off untill they have it all ready to go. They are doing 3 updates this year instead of the normal 2 unlinke the first year when we got 4.

MiCr0 wrote: »
    i can't see they'll rush to add support for external HDD's - they wouldn't be able to sell you movies then

They already have support for external usb devices as long as its formatted with FAT32(or the apple standard can't think of its name just now) which covers most USB Keys and External HDD up to about 350GB (for example the 320GB WD Passport drive)

I'm fairly dissapointed about the lack of MKV support as I really did think it would be added. This means that any of the HD movies that you rent from them will be in HD-WMV with huge file size: not good for most internet connections in ireland with data caps and slow download speeds.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Neither Sony or MS will ever support MKV, why would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm fairly dissapointed about the lack of MKV support as I really did think it would be added. This means that any of the HD movies that you rent from them will be in HD-WMV with huge file size: not good for most internet connections in ireland with data caps and slow download speeds.....

MKV is only a container, it's the codec which is the problem, they could just use H.264 or AVC. Can't understand why they don't tbh, it's free and would save them on bandwidth.

Neither Sony or MS will ever support MKV, why would they?

Why do you think they wouldn't add support for MKV/h264?

They added support for AVI and DIVX about a year ago? isnt this the same idea??

amacachi wrote: »
    MKV is only a container, it's the codec which is the problem, they could just use H.264 or AVC. Can't understand why they don't tbh, it's free and would save them on bandwidth.

Thanks for clearing that up.
    I agree would save on bandwidth and time. I know i for one wouldn't be too happy renting a 4GB or more size file...imagine the wait on Eircoms 3mb lines!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Why do you think they wouldn't add support for MKV/h264?

They added support for AVI and DIVX about a year ago? isnt this the same idea??

Well MKV is the container used for HD rips h264/avc on the www.
    Yes they were sort of forced to support AVI/DIVX as generally most standalones support it, but none if any, support MKV.

Well MKV is the container used for HD rips h264/avc on the www.
    Yes they were sort of forced to support AVI/DIVX as generally most standalones support it, but none if any, support MKV.

I get what you are saying but i think its the same point that I am trying to put make.
    DIVX/AVI was made popular by people using it for ripping DVD to compress the file size and because of the popularity MS had to integrate it.

This h265/MKV is more or less the same principle but it is being used to rip HD content. Some stand alone Media players and DVD players are now supporting it. So should MS be interested in supporting it? especially id their vision is to have the XBOX as the best media centre around....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

preview emails are being sent out today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Anyone get in on the preview yet?

emails are being sent out today - most likely around 3pm PT/6pm ET/11pm GMT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MiloFoxburr

I got in as did a lot of others.

No emails sent out yet but the connect page has been updated
    Welcome to the Xbox LIVE Preview on Connect!

Congratulations! You’ve been accepted to the 2009 Xbox LIVE Update Preview.
    Welcome, and we are glad that you are on board!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Got the email....No update yet though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

looks like i didn't get in, i feel so left out:( lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I got a mail saying I will get a mail!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

MajorNelson Twitter: Sign into LIVE if you are in the 1st wave....you should be prompted for the update

I'll try in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

If you got the mail then if you turn on your console or logout&login again you'll be prompted for an update.
    I'm in and have it updated but it seems a bit pointless tbh. Displaying the number of years you've subbed to Xbox Live and which games you have all the achievements in are the only differences.

I don't consider the Avatar marketplace a change as they're charging money to dress your virtual person so if you're thick you might enjoy wasting your wad on that. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I got in, though I havent updated yet.

Sounds like a really superficial update. Only really good for Netflix subscribers and people with a penchant for buying intangible crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Got the email around 11.30pm and was going back to the dashboard from gears around 2am when it signed out itself and then updated. Nothing much new apart from a Help option in the My Xbox channel and the avatar update. Seems like the main update was for Netflix in the US.

Have to say the radio controlled warthog accessory for your avatar is pretty cool but no way Im paying 320 MS points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I updated it this morning before work, had a quick flick through the dashboard. Looks exactly the same except for the little gold badge with the number of years in it. They did fix the really annoying bug where if you have a password on your account, you had to enter it twice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I got in too, seems pretty pointless though from comments here so far! oh well, expensive avatar accessories here i come.

Are we getting Netflix here eventually?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I got in too, seems pretty pointless though from comments here so far! oh well, expensive avatar accessories here i come.

Are we getting Netflix here eventually?
    I doubt it.

Advertisement