Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

communal drain problem

Options
  • 19-07-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Anyone got any advice on a 5 house communal drain problem - gets blocked every year in same spot (80 yr old crokery pipe). Two houses (one is rented, one where problem is) refuse to acknowledge problem.

Is there any public health laws or anyone had experience of getting disinterested house owners at least to clear their own section.

Unfortunately I'm the first into the drain, so any problems downline eventually back up to me.
    Thanks
    geb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,779 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd start by contact your local council & asking them for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Had this problem int he family. Was told by dublin city council if its in your garden its your responsability.

Never bothered I just rod it every now and again. One of "The neihbours" usually helps if he saw me

• Registered Users Posts: 32 geb

Thanks hillbilly.
    Was in contact with council last year and they said it was the householders responsibility up to the public sewer on road.
    Guess I'll get back in contact with them for advice on how to proceed when other householders aren't taking any responsibility for it.

Thanks Joey - Thats what I've been doing, just annoys me that the house next door is rented out so I have to rod through that as well as they have the manholes covered with big paving slabs that prevents noticeable seepage up.
    Guess I'll have to continue being the dran man!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

geb wrote: »
    Thanks Joey - Thats what I've been doing, just annoys me that the house next door is rented out so I have to rod through that as well as they have the manholes covered with big paving slabs that prevents noticeable seepage up.
    Guess I'll have to continue being the dran man!

What i do as well which sometimes helps with the rodding is douse the shore with some caustic soda this can be don by flushin it down your toilet Just be caseful to read the instructions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

geb wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice on a 5 house communal drain problem - gets blocked every year in same spot (80 yr old crokery pipe). Two houses (one is rented, one where problem is) refuse to acknowledge problem.

Is there any public health laws or anyone had experience of getting disinterested house owners at least to clear their own section.

Unfortunately I'm the first into the drain, so any problems downline eventually back up to me.
    Thanks
    geb

Co Councils are not really interested in problems with sewer pipes once inside a home owners boundary. It sounds like you have a re occurring problem so you should now consider taking the time to get the problem solved completely. Before you rod it try and contact the rented houses actual owner. Its best to have everything blocked up as you have a case against him. It might be let slip if you clear the sewer. He is obliged to attend to the problem if the problem is created in his boundary.

If you cant contact him maybe you could take the case to your solicitor and that should get the ball rolling. Seems like a bit of an effort and its unfortunate you have to deal with it. Try to include some of your neighbors also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

if its old crockery pipes chances are the joint has moved and caused a lip where solids collect.

if its a case you have to rod it every couple of weeks

might be worth getting cctv survey done see what the problem is and see it might be easy to fix.

but the landlord of that house needs to know the problem if it is within his /her land.

the tennants are def not goingt o get their hands dirty on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 thinkofaname!

Hi,

Drainage department in council will not be interested until it hits main sewer which it might surprise you to know could be in the middle of the road! Health department will be interested and have power to legally force householders to fix the problem BUT ONLY IF WASTE IS SPILLING OVER INTO YARDS AND CAUSING A HEALTH PROBLEM.

In reality, they are not likely to go the legal route. They prefer to get householders to fix problem.

Over the years the problem will get worse until the pipe will eventually block.

Blockage could be caused by tree or shrub roots as opposed to a crack but a camera survey is the only way to confirm the problem.

It is possible to fix it yourselves if you can find where the blockage is and dig down and replace that section of pipe. Should take a hard day of work but no more.

Sorry for the dismal answer, I look after a property that had such a problem. It got steadily worse over about 10 years and then took two years of MAJOR problems to get all homeowners to accept responsibility.

Thanks stratocaster - guess what - one of the landlords IS a solicitor - up against it there!!!!

Yeah martron - the joint has moved and caused a lip where solids collect - I reckon this is the case 3 houses down - and solids i found out include over use of detergents - liquid detergents would be better (in washing machine).

And finally thanks thinkofaname _ I'll start the two year battle today.
    Kind of knew it would be so!

Advertisement