Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray Collie Dog

Options
  • 19-07-2009 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

There is a large Collie dog roaming around Charlesland Court the last number of days. Apparently he has walked into two peoples houses and is doing a lot of damage to gardens (he has pooped in mine and dug up some bedding). If by any chance the owner happens upon this page I am just letting you know I will be calling the dog warden in the morning to have the dog picked up as a stray - some people still think its the 1970's and just chuck their dogs out the front door in the morning to get a bit of fresh air. Not on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

There is a Border Collie wandering the streets around the DART at the moment. Ive seen him the last few nights. He's quite dirty and makes me quite nervous running into the road. Hes got a collar on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

He was wandering around Charlesland again last night - looks like he is genuinely lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Wineman wrote: »
    There is a large Collie dog roaming around Charlesland Court the last number of days. Apparently he has walked into two peoples houses and is doing a lot of damage to gardens (he has pooped in mine and dug up some bedding). If by any chance the owner happens upon this page I am just letting you know I will be calling the dog warden in the morning to have the dog picked up as a stray - some people still think its the 1970's and just chuck their dogs out the front door in the morning to get a bit of fresh air. Not on.

Please don't call a dog warden, the dog will end up getting put down within a matter of days, its not the dogs fault if it has irresponsible owners. I think your bit a OTT to be honest. Does the dog have a collar on it? If it does, maybe ringing the number on it or if no collar maybe bring to a vet to see if it has a microchip and the owner can be traced that way. I really think a dog warden is the last resort as its usually an untimely death for a dog.

girl24 wrote: »
    Please don't call a dog warden, the dog will end up getting put down within a matter of days, its not the dogs fault if it has irresponsible owners. I think your bit a OTT to be honest. Does the dog have a collar on it? If it does, maybe ringing the number on it or if no collar maybe bring to a vet to see if it has a microchip and the owner can be traced that way. I really think a dog warden is the last resort as its usually an untimely death for a dog.

The one i see in town at night has a collar. You cant get near him though, hes quite nervous. I hate seeing dogs around busy roads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

But surely that's the owner's problem? Loose dogs are a serious issue.

Firstly, they are a health risk to kids and damaging property. They are also a serious danger to the local livestock. You have to consider that we do live in an agricultural area with farmland and grazing very close to Charlesland.

If somebody thinks nothing of just letting their dog out to fend for itself it might be a bit of a jolt to their system to discover that he's been taken away. Why should the OP (or anyone else for that matter) go to the trouble and expense of taking the dog to a vet to see if it's microchipped. The only benefit it serves is to confirm not just that somebody really doesn't give a crap about the dog or their neighbours but who that somebody is.

If the council take a stray away, I'm sure they check to see if it is microchipped. If they don't then the owners have nobody to blame but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

But surely that's the owner's problem? Loose dogs are a serious issue.

Firstly, they are a health risk to kids and damaging property. They are also a serious danger to the local livestock. You have to consider that we do live in an agricultural area with farmland and grazing very close to Charlesland.

If somebody thinks nothing of just letting their dog out to fend for itself it might be a bit of a jolt to their system to discover that he's been taken away. Why should the OP (or anyone else for that matter) go to the trouble and expense of taking the dog to a vet to see if it's microchipped. The only benefit it serves is to confirm not just that somebody really doesn't give a crap about the dog or their neighbours but who that somebody is.

If the council take a stray away, I'm sure they check to see if it is microchipped. If they don't then the owners have nobody to blame but themselves.

I have to agree with Mike on this one. There are numerous threads in this forum of people giving out about the damage dogs are doing to common areas and gardens. There was a more serious one of a dog running at a group of kids and scaring/upsetting them. You cannot have it both ways, dogs are either reported to the dog warden or you ignore loose dogs in the area.

If an owner willingly lets their dog roam I don't think they are fit to have a dog IMO.

If the dog gets out by mistake, the fact that the dog warden brings the dog to the pound will help the owner find the dog. A simple phone call is all it would take to get fido back. If they don't bother ringing to check if the dog is there then we are back to the point that they shouldn't have a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Eh......Do you not think the dog warden would check for a microchip or collar number?

Do you not think that a warden is better suited to dealing with a stray dog?

If you folk have genuine concern call a warden.
    its what they are there for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 boo-urns

The dog is owned by someone in Burnaby lawns - like all problems that people have with dogs on this forum, direct them to the owners - talking about it here will get you nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

boo-urns wrote: »
    like all problems that people have with dogs on this forum, direct them to the owners - talking about it here will get you nowhere.

The owner is unknown that's why there was a thread set up on this local forum hoping that the owner might come across this and sort the problem out.
    Since you know where its from maybe you can inform them because complaining about people seeking information here will get you no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That doggy sounds like he needs a cuddle. Sure, send him round here where there is plenty of hugs available! That owner would want to be careful though...if doggy starts lodging at my place, they'll end up in court against yours truely like Lassie did - rememeber that, where the two people stood either side of the court and called Lassie! I dunno who got him in the end - or maybe that was the littlest hobo.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Was on the verge of calling the dog warden myself. We've a newborn baby and this dog has figured how to open front doors, not good. It made it into our hall a few nights ago.

astrofluff wrote: »
    That doggy sounds like he needs a cuddle. Sure, send him round here where there is plenty of hugs available! That owner would want to be careful though...if doggy starts lodging at my place, they'll end up in court against yours truely like Lassie did - rememeber that, where the two people stood either side of the court and called Lassie! I dunno who got him in the end - or maybe that was the littlest hobo.

If people stood at either end of the room and called the littlest hobo, he would walk to the door and on to the next town.

Mullie wrote: »
    Was on the verge of calling the dog warden myself. We've a newborn baby and this dog has figured how to open front doors, not good. It made it into our hall a few nights ago.

Dog Warden.

For your sake and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

My parent's neighbour brought the dog to the vet and the vet said that it wasn't the first time he had been brought in. He also said something about the dog being in heat and thats why it keeps escaping from his home.

He's managed to open the door quite a few times to get in my parents house and he's gone in through the window as well. Tbh though I think you're all being a little extreme saying the dog needs to be put down or whatever. Wouldn't it be easier if you phoned the vets the next time he's wandering around and try to get in contact with his owner??

Nobody mentioned putting the dog down, merely having the dog warden come and take it away. If the owners are concerned enough, they'll go retrieve him. If not, then maybe the dog is better off...
    He also said something about the dog being in heat and thats why it keeps escaping from his home

If the vet says the dog is in heat, there's very little chance it's male...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mcmann

That dog walked into our house in the Court last Saturday. My other half got the shock of her life - not very keen on dogs - but my 3 year old daughter was lying on the floor colouring in and she nearly lost her mind when she looked up to see this dog standing over her. I heard the screams and came in from the kitchen and shooed it out the door again.
    I tried to laugh it off rather than have my daughter grow up scared of dogs but she was terrified.
    In fairness it seems to be a placid animal and I wouldn't want to see it destroyed. But it's not right if it is left to wander.
    When I opened the door the following morning - there it was again!

mcmann wrote: »
    That dog walked into our house in the Court last Saturday. My other half got the shock of her life - not very keen on dogs - but my 3 year old daughter was lying on the floor colouring in and she nearly lost her mind when she looked up to see this dog standing over her. I heard the screams and came in from the kitchen and shooed it out the door again.
    I tried to laugh it off rather than have my daughter grow up scared of dogs but she was terrified.
    In fairness it seems to be a placid animal and I wouldn't want to see it destroyed. But it's not right if it is left to wander.
    When I opened the door the following morning - there it was again!

I havent seen it in town since last weekend. I think its been captured.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sparkle*

I have seen the collie around on it s own alot, but saw it a few mornings ago in greystones main street on a lead with a young fella. Seems he is owned alright, they just let him wander!! Not very fair to the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

If it's the dog I'm thinking of. Large wicklow collie, brown , black, bit of white?.
    It hangs around with a group of kids. It lives in Burnaby Lawns and is in the estate frequently. Rarely on a lead. Free to wander. Quite wicked also.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

The dog warden has been informed, should be just a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 evrumum

has anybody thought about bringing the dog to a local vet and getting it checked for a chip? i've done it a few times when i've found wandering dogs and they've all been chipped so i've been able to locate the owners.
    it could have just gotten out and could be genuinely looking to get home.
    if worst comes to worst ring sharpeshill animal sanctuary in rathdrum. it's the wspca and they don't put dogs down. they hold on to them until they get a home. we've adopted a collie from them in the past.

evrumum wrote: »
    has anybody thought about bringing the dog to a local vet and getting it checked for a chip?
    glenjamin wrote: »
    My parent's neighbour brought the dog to the vet and the vet said that it wasn't the first time he had been brought in.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 evrumum

jeez, that's dreadful isn't it?
    any chip?

evrumum wrote: »
    jeez, that's dreadful isn't it?
    any chip?

The one i see in town is not approachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

My shetland collie got hit by a car in Greystones a few years back (collar wasn't on tight enough and he chases birds sometimes) and as I ran over to see if he was even alive (he was), the man jumps out of the car, tells me he is a dog warden and that I'm liable for the damage to his car, all while my dog is wailing in pain. I told him where to shove it anyway. I've never been keen on calling the dog warden since this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Any update on this:confused: I haven't seen a collie wandering anywhere.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Any update on this:confused: I haven't seen a collie wandering anywhere.

I think im talking about a different collie. He wanders up and down the main street in Greystones every weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

look if anyone sees him again will they please contact dspca or one of the local vets.its not the dogs fault and there is no point coming on here and moaning about it,its not resolving the problem. its either very irresponsible owners who should not be allowed have a dog or else he is a stray and probably scared. you can pm me if anyone needs help with him.i have driven around the last two evenings looking for him, i will take him in till something is sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Think I saw the one you are talking about yesterday. It's a rough collie, lassie type. Was heading in the direction of Burnaby Lawns.

• Advertisement

Think I saw the one you are talking about yesterday. It's a rough collie, lassie type. Was heading in the direction of Burnaby Lawns.

I think we're talking about two different dogs. The one seen in Greystones town every night obviously skips over a fence and wanders around but goes home.

Advertisement