Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Print to Broadcast..how??

Options
  • 19-07-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi there,

I'm about to enter my 2nd year of University and in that year I've clocked up loads of experience in print journalism. I enjoy it, but since I was about 10 years old my ambition has been to get involved in broadcast journalism-be it reporting or presenting-on TV.

I've just started yet another work experience programme with a newpaper, but I want to move more towards my dream career-I know it's ambitious, but if I knew how to go about it then the world's my oyster.

Can anyone gives me tips or advice on how to delve deeper into broadcasting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Hi!
    I was just wondering how you got work experience? I'm about to start college to do journalism (hopefully!)
    I've applied to a few local newspapers and radio but got nowhere. And how are you finding studying journalism at college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

Hey :)

I'm not actually studying journo; instead i'm doing History, Politics and International Relations :)

I got the experience simply by emailing my CV to a few newspapers. I'd suggest you get involved with your student newspaper when you go to college-that's where I started!!!

Where are you hoping to study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

Oh right!
    I'm hoping to go to UL. Most of my courses are for down there. I jst put down everything that could get my into working as a journalist like english and history and that.
    Where are you studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Start in college station if you've got one. If not, contact the radio stations and ask for work experience as a researcher. You can go from there. Other option is to become such an expert in an area that you get asked to go and comment on things that are happening and from there it can take off.
    For TV, send CV to producer of show you'd like. might get gopher work and go from there. Be aware that there's a huge amount of people trying to get into TV at any one time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 beautifulmeath

I'm studying at UCD in Dublin :) I knwo a girl going into her 2nd yr of journo in UL and she loves it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Have friends who did courses in UCD and then the Masters in journalism in DCU. Mixed results so far, some successful, some less so. Luck and ability come into it. Am sure City Channel would be interested in people, Anna Livia was always looking out for people and TV3 used to give lots of people work experience (not sure how it is now as don't know enough people there anymore). Lots of people get work in RTE too but that's probably being reduced with the cutbacks

Advertisement