Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting Problem

• 19-07-2009 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Just pulling away last nite from the rank, with two passangers on board. My car dies, dont exactally know whats after happening.

Car has been a taxi for the last 3 years and never ever had a problem with it starting, but it just konked out last nite, tryed restarting it all i was getting was the dash lights staying on, the engine wasnt even attempting to turn over.

So pushed it back to a nearby car park, checked the fuses, relays, plugs, ht leads, disconnected the starter and battery and reconnected it, but no joy.

Called the rescue, fella comes out and checks the starter, and hits it a few times, again nothing. He put it down to a faulty starter but he isnt 100% sure.

So the car gets taken away by tow truck to a local wharehouse, and it's gonna be shipped out to my local garage Monday.

But i'm thinking it's either the Timing belt thats after snapping (got it replaced at 113K now has 147k) or the ecu is toast.

The car is 1996 Toyota Carina 1.6.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Volvoboy wrote: »
    So pushed it back to a nearby car park,

I hope you asked your passengers to push too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm thinking a snapped TB wouldn't stop it from turning over (well, at least the bottom end..) On the other hand, a faulty starter motor wouldn't make it die when it was alreading running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

If it was the timing belt the engine would still turn over when you try to start.

Sounds electrical. Possibly as simple as a fuse, or a loose wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Spudzz

One would think it was an electrical problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd guess that either that starter is kaput or there is no current getting to it.

Will it start on a push?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Try tow starting it. If it starts it will eliminate engine problem, maybe starter, bad battery cables, bad earth,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Found out whats wrong!!

Whilst lounging around the house and looking at diffrent fourms as to what could be wrong, a topic came up about immobilisers, when i 1st got the car i bought a alarm system for the car and the fella said did i want to activiate the immobiliser swich i said no as it would be too much hassle.

But its the one thing i didnt check last nite, so i hopped in my ma's partners car to jamestown road pluged the immobiliser fob into the recever and sure enough it splutterd into life, i never thought to check it as it was never a problem with it in the 3 years ive owned the car.

So there was no point in me taking it back and happening again, best i leave it to be fixed as to why it happend in the 1st place!

But the good thing is i shall be motoring again tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the punters of Dublin's fair city can rest easy so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the punters of Dublin's fair city can rest easy so :)

:D

Advertisement