Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell is happening in Ennis???

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

BOBBY wrote: »
    i'm from the showgrounds u muppet !
    :rolleyes:

Good for you, thats great. The view is nice isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

aye it is, but your attitude stinks,
    saying someone from one area of town might consider themselves superior to others because of their address, even tho u worded it smartly to avoid it to be seen as baiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

NiamhK wrote: »
    Kradock wrote: »
    Ennis has its social problems , there are people in Ennis who because of their address never had a chance from day one . I witnessed the compounding of this throughout my school years by teachers who " left students behind" because of their family and financial circumstances , most of these people later became social misfits plagued by drink and drug issues , some sadly it was all they knew in their short lives.

. One of the main heroine suppliers in town is from a well to do family and part of town and so are his buyers.

And as for ecstasy being the weekend drug of choice? I'm sorry, are you living in 1994? Cocaine has been the weekend drug of choice for over ten years and heroine has been rife in Ennis for the last 3-4 years. It just seems there are more junkies coming out of the woodwork these days and might I reitterate, not all from 'the wrong side of the tracks'.

Sorry for any misspellings above, anger took over the typing.

i agree with everything you say,
    some of the rest of ye are fairies tho,ennis is a ****hole,its crime is no worse than anywhere else get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

One of the main heroine suppliers in town is from a well to do family and part of town and so are his buyers.

Thats interesting if its true. In Shannon most of the narcotics being traded is by an individual associated with a Limerick criminal gang; the Keane's I think. Frightingly the individual lives opposite the secondary school St Caimans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

If anyone is interested in crime in urban areas, i thoroughly recommend anyone to watch the American crime TV series called The Wire. Now i'm not comparing crime in Ennis to crime in an American metropolis like Baltimore in Maryland USA, but there are many similarities between the gangland/drug activity that goes on in cities like Dublin and Limerick.
    It shows all portrayals of life from the politicians, criminal lawyers, the police, drug lords, drug dealers and drug users. It explores many other social problems like unemployment, education, alcoholism, and corruption. It's attention to detail is amazing and it asks a lot of the viewer to stay tuned in, but ultimately it's worth it. It's more than just a tv show, it's an accurate portrayal of criminality in a big city, never choosing a happy ending over the gritty realism it prides itself on.
    It's also made by HBO, so you know its quality.

• Advertisement

BOBBY wrote: »
    aye it is, but your attitude stinks,
    saying someone from one area of town might consider themselves superior to others because of their address, even tho u worded it smartly to avoid it to be seen as baiting

But it is kinda of ironic at the same time, which was my intention to get a further response becuase of it. The showgrounds road is like Beverly Hills of Ennis, high up a hill and directly at the bottom of the hill you have Water/Clancy Park, which are slightly more like LA Compton of Ennis. I said "looking down of people" which I literely meant in this situation. Sorry for mangling my words as you pointed out, but if u had been a little sharper you would have had it, you were very close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

REPSOC1916 wrote: »
    Thats interesting if its true. In Shannon most of the narcotics being traded is by an individual associated with a Limerick criminal gang; the Keane's I think. Frightingly the individual lives opposite the secondary school St Caimans.

I think you'll find that the post you attributed to me was actually NiamhK.
    Its important to have the detail right.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 illgetyourcoat

Hey all,
    sorry to hear about what happened to that girl, its awful whats happening these days, i dont think its specific to any area tho tbh, similar incident happened in drogheda like 2 weeks ago, at about 3 in the morning a guy was waiting for a taxi and some bloke came up and asked him for a smoke, when he said sorry i dont smoke he was attacked, if memory serves he was either hit with a bottle or stabbed with a broken bottle, this kind of thing is seriously on the increase. A few big problem i have with a lot of this is firstly obviously enugh, what the **** are people doing this for?? theres absolutely no justifying this kind of insanity, for not smokeing, not even for refusing to give a possible complete sponger a cigarette you get attacked, what if these people had given a smoke to these attackers? hard to think that would have been it really, secondly and this one is a strange concept but ive often thought this, in a group such as the attackers in ennis how did they communicate to each other that this was going to happen, do they take it in turns to ask people for a smoke and then they all beat up that person, surely one of them has the cop on to say no maybe this isnt a great idea, things liek this is why everyone in this country should be able to carry a proper kind of self defence device, women especially because it can be scary enough walking through towns at night when youre a guy so...
    and lastly what are people to do to stop this kind of thing happening again??

I myself was attacked last summer, from what i was told by on lookers, there were 4 or 5 guys, all of which a few years younger than me, but i dint have much of a chance, i was hit with bottles in the head, kicked in the face and body and punched quite a few times too, dont have the best of recalection of all of this but i do remember thinkin getting kicked in the head is extremely load and quite bassey, anyway this turned out to be quite a bit longer than i had planned but my main point is im not fond of these kind of goings on and want to know how its all going to be stopped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I myself was attacked last summer, from what i was told by on lookers, there were 4 or 5 guys, all of which a few years younger than me, but i dint have much of a chance, i was hit with bottles in the head, kicked in the face and body and punched quite a few times too, dont have the best of recalection of all of this but i do remember thinkin getting kicked in the head is extremely load and quite bassey, anyway this turned out to be quite a bit longer than i had planned but my main point is im not fond of these kind of goings on and want to know how its all going to be stopped

When sufficient people make their voice heard maybe, just maybe those scumbags who attack people like that will get charged with attempted murder.
    That is after all what it is.
    Kicking someone in the head is likely to result in death if only one of those kicks lands in the "right"/"wrong" place.

It seems there is no will in our judicial system to deal with the problem ...... other than listening to excuses about how the poor attackers were deprived as children.

It is sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

Johnboy sadly your correct about no will amongst the judiciary to deal with these problems. The reasoning behind it though is far more sinister. Recidivists and repeat offenders are a cash cow for solicitors and barristers, all on our tax money btw. The judges who refuse to hand down sentences to these animals are letting them loose again so they can be processed again by one of their kin.

The amount of cronyism that exists in the legal system is quite astonishing.
    Judges are invariably related to the lawyers coming up, at the very least they are part of their circle. The scumbags with 60 offences are manna from heaven for a solicitor, all he needs is a judge to play ball and he’ll make a handy few grand everytime the pup repeat offends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Sure didn't some middle class kids kick someone in the head when he was on the ground an kill him in Ennis a few years ago? Maybe 5 years back.

The fella who stabbed and killed the teenager outside of Supermacs a couple of years ago was the son of a garda?

This kind of things happening with people from all sorts of backgrounds. And it isn't always drug related.

Hard to know what to do about it other than recommend people stay in groups instead of wandering about on your own at night where you could get ganged up on.

Or we could do like in the Wire and turn Cloughleigh into Hamsterdam. I'm all for decriminalising drugs after watching that show. Spend the money treating people with problems instead of criminalising it. Drug dealers make incredibly money from their job, and you'd have to spend 5 times what they do to have any hope of beating them.

P.S. I'm from Cahercalla Road so I outrank all your Showgrounds people in the poshness stakes.

Mr-Posh.jpg

Johnboy, SHOW ME THE MONEY. If you think its feesible to pack our already overcrowded prisons with more meat, then as I said before write you concerns to the Minister for Justice.

Now you may say "they are scumbags, pack em on top of each other and let them kill each other" but you are actually putting the prison officers at more risk of serious assault and before you say sure why do we need prison officers to babysit animals, think of the possibility of them escaping even more pyschotic than even and let roam back onto the streets... a vicious cycle that keeps going on and on and on.

Prisons are built not only to punish people, they are also there to rehabilitate and turn what they can back into functioning members of society.

Honestly, we have a health and education service in tatters. I dont think the criminal justice is high on the agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Or we could do like in the Wire and turn Cloughleigh into Hamsterdam. I'm all for decriminalising drugs after watching that show. Spend the money treating people with problems instead of criminalising it. Drug dealers make incredibly money from their job, and you'd have to spend 5 times what they do to have any hope of beating them.

Blitz Molloy will lead us through this mess

More of it happening in Kilrush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 taphead

I've been to Ennis a couple of times - it's a rough town, no two ways about it. Last time I was there, at a stag, the centre of town was essentially closed off by the guards because of a six-man brawl with an audience of about 50 people. It was bizarre.
    Teadrinker wrote: »
    You think now of all the teachers out of work and probably social workers too and even people out of work who would be fantastic at helping these kids. If some of them, us, could find a way to use the time on their, our, hands to do work with these kids, then maybe this bloody recession might yield up something valuable, something which the years of plenty totally failed.

Seconded - great post, Teadrinker. But I think that alcohol is a big thing here too. A friend of mine thinks that, in rough towns, the guards should just inject everyone with curry cheese & chips as soon as they leave the pub at closing time. Or drop cheap footballs into the streets from helicopters.

A lot of these situations, if you take the alcohol out of it, it's just a lot of people staring at their shoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Johnboy, SHOW ME THE MONEY. If you think its feesible to pack our already overcrowded prisons with more meat, then as I said before write you concerns to the Minister for Justice.

Now you may say "they are scumbags, pack em on top of each other and let them kill each other" but you are actually putting the prison officers at more risk of serious assault and before you say sure why do we need prison officers to babysit animals, think of the possibility of them escaping even more pyschotic than even and let roam back onto the streets... a vicious cycle that keeps going on and on and on.

Prisons are built not only to punish people, they are also there to rehabilitate and turn what they can back into functioning members of society.

Honestly, we have a health and education service in tatters. I dont think the criminal justice is high on the agenda.

I "may say" lots of things, but for sure I will never say, as you did, that the answer is to avoid those places where these scumbags rule.
    Quite the opposite ..... I say that they should not be allowed to rule and inflict themselves on the rest of society.

As you seem to have a serious objection to that idea I will not bother to reply further to your posts on the subject.

I "may say" lots of things, but for sure I will never say, as you did, that the answer is to avoid those places where these scumbags rule.
    Quite the opposite ..... I say that they should not be allowed to rule and inflict themselves on the rest of society.

As you seem to have a serious objection to that idea I will not bother to reply further to your posts on the subject.

But like I may have said in another way "talk to the hand", its every man for himself in this day and age, the lawmakers have done their best without returning us to some sort of feudal system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

But like I may have said in another way "talk to the hand"

"Oh no he DI-ENT!"

"GO RICKY! GO RICKY! GO RICKY!"

• Registered Users Posts: 28 illgetyourcoat

It seems there is no will in our judicial system to deal with the problem ...... other than listening to excuses about how the poor attackers were deprived as children.

sadly this is very true but i cant see how they would stand for the reason being a childhood incident or being deprived, problematicially they do see this to be a good enough reason a lot ot the time, i have to say thats bull****

its all well and good for me to say that weve no real evidence that the attacker did have a troubled childhood but look at it this way if they had fair enough, thats not the ideal way to grow up but get some help and dont go around beating up people for absolutely nothin, ow a justified 1 on 1 fight, at the very least thats fair yknow but if its a few people attacking someone thats complete bull****, at the end of the day troubled childhood or not, they did wat they did and its pretty clear that a dickhead is a dickhead, no matter what theyve gone through, i know a lot of people have troubled lives and i mean no offence to any of them, sorry for any offences that may have been caused but what i mean is most people do not do this sort of thing, they have the common decency to be a nice and well mannered person, a lot of which would go to counciling and similar things and deal with it in a proper healty non voilent way

scum are scum no matter what theye gone through or claim theyve gone through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

But like I may have said in another way "talk to the hand", its every man for himself in this day and age, the lawmakers have done their best without returning us to some sort of feudal system.

The lawmakers have not done their best, far from it. Our previous minister for justice mr McDowell was so obsessed with getting one over on the prison guards you seem to stand up for. He shut down 2 prisons to save money on overtime ffs. Thats another reason we have scum on the streets- no room for them and no desire from the judiciary to put them away either as they are worth more money out committing crimes.

The law makers have far from done their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

I think you'll find that the post you attributed to me was actually NiamhK.
    Its important to have the detail right.:pac:

My sincere apologies.

• Advertisement

REPSOC1916 wrote: »
    My sincere apologies.

Quote NiamhK then!

Advertisement