Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I transfer my Rent Allowance to a different part of the country if I move?

Options
  • 19-07-2009 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I suffer from clinical depression and feel that a move to a new place would do me good, but I am worried that I might get a lot of hassle when I try to claim rent allowance there. If I could transfer my existing rent allowance claim without having to cancel it and then reapply, it would make the move a lot easier for me. I am afraid of the community welfare officer trying to intimidate me with questions like "why come here?" or "wouldn't it be better for you if you went back home?" I have experienced this kind of treatment in the past and it has had a bad emotional effect on me. My self esteem is very low as it is and I want to try to keep myself from falling too far down hill. My only income is my disability allowance and I have no other means. Would this basically entitle me to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

In a word NO. You will have to go to the local CWO at all times. No exceptions. I would suggest you approach the Advocacy Officer of the voluntary Aware group in the area you wish to move to. They will make a case for you to the new CWO.

Advertisement