Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Miss Julie

Options
  • 19-07-2009 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I went to see this last night and was really impressed.Great writing , great acting....can't really fault it. Think it's on for another week ( in Smock Alley )

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I havent seen this one, whats it about? What did you think of Smock alley?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wolfgang123

It's an update of the Strindberg play. It's now set in a country house in England in 1946 after Labour have ousted Winston Churchill from power. The servants are celebrating and the lady of the house , Julie , ends up having ' a night of passion ' with her father's chauffeur. It then turns into a weird , almost sado-masochistic , relationship. There's a lot about about class struggle and , I suppose , early feminism. Plus Julie is nuts !
    Probably made it sound really dull but it's not. The writing is really sharp and the performances really strong. And it's 90 minutes ! According to their facebook page it's a tenner in on Monday so worth a look.
    The venue is interesting. Did some research on google and it's the earliest theatre in Ireland. Doesn't have a bar though but since the play didn't have an interval that wasn't a problem

Forgot to mention it's written by Patrick Marber ( Closer , Day today , Knowing You , Knowing Me etc. )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Would love to have seen this if I was home.
    I used a monologue from it a while back, she's one nut alright! :pac:

Understatement of the year :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement