Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading memory on dinosaur laptop (Inspiron 6000)

Options
  • 19-07-2009 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Not entirely sure if I should have put this in here or the laptop forum, but here goes.

Recently I've had a lot of issues with my Inspiron. It's five years old and just not up to speed. Anyway, last week I had enough of crashing/stalling and bluescreening, backed up what I needed to and did a full reinstall of Windows XP. The machine is running much quicker now and giving zero problems, but now that it's done I was wondering about upgrading the memory to speed it up a little more and give it a little boost. It's currently got 512Mb of RAM.

I've been looking around at memory and was wondering if this is the right kind of RAM to get?

If it is, is it difficult to install? Will I need to reconfigure the setting on the laptop? Also, does anyone know if the Inspiron 6000 has one or two slots for RAM? I wouldn't mind getting 2Gb RAM if I can!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice/opinions...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Look like your system shipped with 256Mb so both slots may already filled.
    That not a major issue just mean you may have to dump one 256Mb stick.

Have a search for the Dell Tech Service Manual but Dell's normal have a bay on the back of the laptop with only a screw securing it.

Standard Memory 256MB (Removable)

Max. Memory 2GB

Expansion 2 Sockets

Notes
    Memory Options
    Part Number Description
    20-A0446872 256MB Module
    20-A0446873 512MB Module
    20-A0446874 1GB MODULE

http://www.2020.ie/configurator3.php?ModelID=49216&submit.x=28&submit.y=10

Advertisement