Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos for online book

Options
  • 19-07-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

Looking for a good database of photos that can be used in an online/downloadable printable book that I will be charging people to buy - I've spent hours doing this and have found a few but many require buying tokens and/or citing the photographer for every bloody photo.

I want one that is subscription based and can download as many as I need for the subscription period - I need one that means I don't have to cite the photographer anywhere in the book or on my website.

I am aware of certain restrictions, e.g. depending on database more than 250,000 - 499,999 copies cannot be downloaded without an extended licence purchased which is fine because I'll never sell that many anyway.

The best for me so far seems to be http://www.iclipart.com/ - I am currently awaiting a response in relation to the specifics of what I am doing, but would welcome any other suggestions for online databases.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

what you are looking for is www.freestockphotos.com

or a similar free stock photo website (since this one requires the website name attached to the image at all times)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Those clipart sites are shockingly bad :P

http://www.sxc.hu/ is a good source for free stock photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Truss

They may not be up to your standard but they seem to be best value for what you get - sxc.hu is great but not if you intend on SELLING what you create.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 kuban-83

Maybe here:
    http://www.123rf.com/

Or search in google for "Royality Free"

• Registered Users Posts: 10 splash123

Try www.istockphoto.com or www.shutterstock.com
    You have to pay a few euro for them but you don't need to credit the photographer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 raptor twin

We use Getty Images.com, they are pretty good but it depends on what types of images you need

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to do.

Is it that you want a database to sell YOUR OWN photography?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

There are many professional photographer on the Boards here who might be able to help:

http://usenet.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=27

I'm an amateur, but another option might be to join the photogs and take your own photos, where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭loloray

Truss wrote: »
    I want one that is subscription based and can download as many as I need for the subscription period - I need one that means I don't have to cite the photographer anywhere in the book or on my website.
    Hi OP, I know this isn't exactly what you're asking, but personally, if I bought a photography book and saw some pictures that I liked - I would want to know the name of the photographer, and, for example, if it was a landscape, where it was.
    If you were interested in crediting the photographers, I would imagine that there would be hundreds of professional and exceptional amateur Irish photographers willing to donate an excellent image.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Ok maybe I'm missing something here. I'm still not 100% sure what you want to do.

Is it that you want photographs for free that you will then try to pass off as your own and sell? If this is the case it is not legal (copyright laws etc).

A lot of the sites mentioned allow you to use photographs but not sell them.

Advertisement