Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non turbo, sounds like turbo? Is it normal? (mx5)

• 19-07-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

so i got mx5 1.8, and dont know if its normal?

When i rev it it just goes with whistle from 3-4k and above...

Maybe its just wind noises... But it looks like it comes from revs...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

possibly a bearing on its way out ...water pump, alternator, pas or ac pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Try disconecting the alternator belt and start the car and see if the noise dissappears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mamakevf wrote: »
    Try disconecting the alternator belt and start the car and see if the noise dissappears.

but make sure the same belt doesn't drive the water pump as well :D

peasant wrote: »
    but make sure the same belt doesn't drive the water pump as well :D
    It could be the water pump thats the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Whilst the standard MX-5 does not have a turbo, it's a common enough aftermarket add-on, especially amongst enthusiasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well when i reving it parked i dont hear a thing... Just normal engine noise...

peasant wrote: »
    that may well be ...but run the engine for a while without water circulating and you've got a whole lot more trouble
    Of course, it would only be a few seconds to assertain if the noise is coming from something running off the belt.
    If it was, all the parts running off the belt would have to be examined in turn to find the offending item.(with the engine switched off, of course)

Sorry, i am a bit confused there. So its defenetly an item from a belt section.

Can i still drive the car untill i get to mechanic, or am i pushing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sorry, i am a bit confused there. So its defenetly an item from a belt section.

It might not be.
    Well when i reving it parked i dont hear a thing... Just normal engine noise...

The belt accessories still spin with the engine when you rev it in neutral so it's probably not one of those. It should be ok to drive until you get to a garage. Sounds like a wheel bearing or something.

Confab wrote: »
    It might not be.

The belt accessories still spin with the engine when you rev it in neutral so it's probably not one of those. It should be ok to drive until you get to a garage. Sounds like a wheel bearing or something.

yeah i got confised there aswell... no sound while revving it parked, so how it could be engine bits...

Does sound like bearing, but is it this?http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/314

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Wasn't the mx-5 designed to make the same diff whine as an MGB?

good point.. i actuall read on this somewhere....

Ill be going to mechanic on wensday, ill ask him to check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

sounds like the exhaust or cat is blocked,seen it a few times on them,cat breaks up,blocks the exhaust and u get a load whooosh noise from a joint/connection in the exhaust system while driving

Advertisement