Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Which will mean it will leak on Youtube/Dailymotion fairly sharpish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Just Finished Devitt vs Shelley what a great match the last 7 to 8 minutes were brilliant and the stuff before that with the bullet club and Tanahashi and co was very good as well,the heat in the buliding was unreal they really hate the bullet club.

Overall a very enjoyable card Taka/Shelley was a nice match as well Taka is still class nearly 40 and still pulling off the springboard plancha to the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Whats the best jap event in the last couple of years which is worth watching?

Whats the best jap event in the last couple of years which is worth watching?

There's two I would suggest the king of pro wrestling show from last October a lot of people's ppv of last year

And the Tokyo dome show from this January two great shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Pretty much any of NJPW's big shows would qualify imo.

If you want actual matches, you cant go far wrong with Nakamura's IC title defences (only in NJPW, cant speak for many outside) or any of the Tanahashi vs Okada matches.

• Advertisement

And i don't how i forgot about Invasion attack from april with the clear match of the year on it between Okada and Tanahashi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I've watched from the Naito match on, what on the undercard is worth watching?

I've watched from the Naito match on, what on the undercard is worth watching?
    The jr tag match is very good and the Suzuki tag.

So the July 20 show looks like all kinds of great.
    NJPW, "KIZUNA ROAD 2013", 2013.07.20 (USTREAM)
    Akita Municipal Gymnasium

0. Manabu Nakanishi, Tomoaki Honma, Tiger Mask & KUSHIDA vs. Yujiro Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI, Gedo & Jado
    1. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov (c) vs. TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
    2. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Minoru Suzuki
    3. IWGP Tag Team Title: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima (c) vs. Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka
    4. NEVER Openweight Title: Masato Tanaka (c) vs Tetsuya Naito
    5. Special Singles Match: La Sombra vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
    6. Special 8 Man Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe, Jushin Thunder Liger & Captain New Japan vs. Karl Anderson, El Terrible , Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale
    7. Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata
    8. Kazushi Sakuraba Return Match: Yuji Nagata vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
    9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Prince Devitt

They are also running a ippv on the 5th of July as well to announce the people in the G1.
    NJPW "KIZUNA ROAD 2013", 05.07.2013 (Samurai! TV/USTREAM)
    Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Super Strong Machine vs. Toaru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Jado
    2. Togi Makabe, Manabu Nakanishi, Tiger Mask & KUSHIDA vs. Yuji Nagata, Hirooki Goto, Captain New Japan & Takaaki Watanabe
    3. Tomohiro Ishii, Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov vs. Minoru Suzuki, TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
    4. Tetsuya Naito, Tomoaki Honma & La Sombra vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
    - Announcement of participants for G1 CLIMAX 23
    5. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Karl Anderson & Bad Luke Fale
    6. CMLL World Tag Team Title: Tama Tonga & El Terrible (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Thunder Liger
    7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Prince Devitt (c) vs. Gedo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I take it the show with Fergal's title shot won't be an iPPV?

I take it the show with Fergal's title shot won't be an iPPV?
    No sorry meant to say ippv as well.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    No sorry meant to say ippv as well.

Sweet.

Never seen this before decent match but the last few minutes are great can only imagine how good a match between these two would be now.

The iPPV is up here:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2pn0t_Jahmale_Hepburn_njpw-dominion-6-22/1#video=x11aq35

Sincerely hope EVERYONE watches it. In terms of match quality, card and stories it is up there with Money in the Bank 2011.

The video package before the Devitt match explaining his transformation is great. He starts off as a cherubic babyface and ends with him with a bloody faced heel.

So i was watching some G1 matches from last year and put on Suzuki vs Nakamura and couldn't believe one of the spots i saw,thought it was a one time thing against Sakuraba.

Nakamura is a mad man.

Great poster:
    BONvtVRCYAAMER-.jpg

Internet Pay Per View on at 10.30am our time today:

iqKbEFT.jpg
    Card
    Prince Devitt (c) vs. Gedo - IWGP JR. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
    El Terrible & Tama Tonga vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin Thunder Liger - CMLL TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH
    CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale & Karl Anderson)
    G1 Climax 23 - Announcement of all participants
    La Sombra, Tomoaki Honma & Tetsuya Naito vs. CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Yujiro Takahashi & Masato Tanaka)
    CHAOS (Rocky Romero, Alex Koslov & Tomohiro Ishii) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Taichi & Taka Michinoku)
    KUSHIDA, Tiger Mask IV, Manabu Nakanishi & Togi Makabe vs. Takaaki Watanabe, Captain New Japan, Hirooki Goto & Yuji Nagata
    TenCozy (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) & Super Strong Machine vs. CHAOS (Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Jado)
    How to watch: Live iPPV on USTREAM ($20)

Essentially a posh house show that is being run to:
    -Promote the big Devitt vs Okada show
    -Knobble WWE's show in the region
    -To test whether fans aboard will lesser shows at a lower price point

Prince Devitt is wrestling Okada's manager Gedo in one last road block before wrestling Okada. Some people are deluding themselves into think Devitt will drop the Junior title to a semi retired wrestler.

There aren't a whole load of options for Devitt to drop it to. He's beaten virtually everyone.

They surely wouldn't have him lose to a junior hw thus close to a heavyweight title match. Unless he's gonna win the big one....

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    There aren't a whole load of options for Devitt to drop it to. He's beaten virtually everyone.
    They surely wouldn't have him lose to a junior hw thus close to a heavyweight title match. Unless he's gonna win the big one....

And would it be a waste to lose after he beat Tanahashi.

They will probably show the first few matches for free:
    http://www.ustream.tv/njpw

For those who don't know New Japan runs two similarly formatted singles tournaments annually.

One for the light heavyweights called The Best of Super Juniors - ran last month and won by Prince Devitt.

The second G1 Climax which is for Heavyweights. Given his move to Heavyweight Devitt has many first time matches in his first time competing in the competition. The Brackets:
    Group A: Tanahashi, Makabe, Goto, Kojima, Okada, Ishii, Lance Archer, DB Smith Jr, Devitt, Shibata

Group B: Tenzan, Nagata, Naito, Nakamura, Yaro, Takahashi, Suzuki, Shelton Benjamin, Karl Andersen, Kota Ibushi

Group A is stacked. :)

Surprised to see Ibushi in there. Him and Shelton will surely come up with some gif- worthy flippy floppy sh*t.

Surprised to see Ibushi in there. Him and Shelton will surely come up with some gif- worthy flippy floppy sh*t.

Surprising Devitt and Okada will occur twice in the same month. Surprising they are rematching their version of Austin vs Rock in Tanahashi and Okada again so soon.

I am more sure Devitt will beat Okada July 20th for the Heavyweight belt now.

Can see them going with a time limit draw or something for Okada/ Tanahashi.

Edit: You really think Fergal can do it? Be frickin incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Seeds were planted last year when Ibushi said in an interview that it was his dream to compete in the G1. Since he came back from injury, he has toned down the high flying stuff a little bit and added some power to his wrestling style, which suggests to me that he was trying to adjust so he could wrestle heavyweights a little easier. Excited as heck to see how he does.

Can see them going with a time limit draw or something for Okada/ Tanahashi.

Edit: You really think Fergal can do it? Be frickin incredible!

Just projecting forward.

They are putting all this heat on Devitt. New Japan's version of Paul Heyman (work with me here) Gedo was cheered against him this morning.

Makes sense the biggest babyface beats the biggest heel on the biggest show of the year at the Toyko Dome.

Naito beating Devitt in the final of the G1 is my prediction. To setup a title match between them.

Just finished yesterday morning's show now busy all day the main event was great,the heat in the buliding was amazing Devitt and the bullet club are such good heels.

Block a of the G1 looks great can't wait for Ishii vs Shibata.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I haven't watched Japanese wrestling since Eurosport showed it in the mid-90s so aside from the odd match on a WWE DVD I'm a noob. Does anyone want to give me like a dozen or so recommendations to watch? :)

Advertisement