Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I haven't watched Japanese wrestling since Eurosport showed it in the mid-90s so aside from the odd match on a WWE DVD I'm a noob. Does anyone want to give me like a dozen or so recommendations to watch? :)

NJPW is the only company worth watching on a regular basis. Other's will throw out the occasional good match but NJ do it a lot more often.

Any of the big NJ shows from the last couple of years. Always at least one great match on them.

Any of Nakamura's IC title defences in Japan. Often one of the best matches on the card.

Any of the Okada vs Tanahashi matches.

Wrestle Kingdom from January would be a great place to start. Easily three or four MOTYC.

Dailymotion has more or less all of them. YouTube has some but nowhere near as many.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    NJPW is the only company worth watching on a regular basis. Other's will throw out the occasional good match but NJ do it a lot more often.

Yeah the New Japan of the past 2 1/2 years is at least on par if not better than the post 2000-3 Attitude Era WWE which you had great wrestlers, deep rosters, over characters and crowds that knew and were enthusiastic about more or less everything.
    I haven't watched Japanese wrestling since Eurosport showed it in the mid-90s so aside from the odd match on a WWE DVD I'm a noob. Does anyone want to give me like a dozen or so recommendations to watch? :)

Their last proper Pay Per View is up on Youtube in full:

When I mean in full I mean in full. The dark match is included at the beginning. The real show starts at the 16.00 minute mark.

Tried to find a preview/primer for you here that wasn't the size of the textbook:

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/06/21/new-japan-pro-wrestling-dominion-june-22-2013/

In hindsight this wasn't the most accurate of previews but it does at least give the basic premise of matches and New Japan's pre-match videos should help too. The storylines aren't really that dense or Americanised. Either two wrestlers hate each other or want to win to advance their way to a title shot. So if you are lost you are probably less watch than you think you are! :)

The opener the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title match blew people away - people online were just jaded as they had so many largely so-so matches on past show. All of the matches were better than forecasted except the Rob Conway match.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

nmoZf_zps2da47186.jpg

OH MY GOD!!!!! Okada Vs Ibushi at DDT's 2nd Sumo Hall show in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Well that is amazing.

New Japan announced the fixtures so to speak for the G1.

This is the card the show on iPPV that airs on UStream will get:
    August 4th @ Osaka Body Maker Colosseum (iPPV on Ustream)
    -Shinsuke Nakamura VS Kota Ibushi
    -Togi Makabe VS Kazuchika Okada
    -Hiroshi Tanahashi VS Prince Davitt
    -Tetsuya Naito VS Minoru Suzuki
    -Hirooki Goto VS Lance Archer
    -Tomohiro Ishii VS Katsuyori Shibata
    -Satoshi Kojima VS Davey Boy Smith Jr
    -Yuji Nagata VS Shelton X Benjamin
    -Hiroyoshi Tenzan VS Karl Anderson
    - Toru Yano VS Yujiro Takahashi

That's a spicy meatball

• Advertisement

Nakamura vs Ibushi? Yes fcuking please!

A lot of potential MOTN's and even MOTYC on that show.

Let's welcome him at arrivals in Dublin Airport:
    4vgta8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I know a lad who always says stuff like Fergal's tweets and Im always telling him he'd be a great heel. :pac:

rovert wrote: »
    New Japan announced the fixtures so to speak for the G1.

This is the card the show on iPPV that airs on UStream will get:

That's a spicy meatball

That looks great with it being in Osaka it could be another show of the year,delighted we get to see Ishii vs Shibata live and Nakamura vs Ibushi not to mention Naito vs Suzuki.

New Japan keeps getting better and better.

Regal tweeted this then deleted it:

BOpjQcDCMAAwp19.jpg

Maybe he meant it as a DM.

• Advertisement

If he was trying to do a DM he was way off. The @ thing doesnt get used at all for DM's.

Had to read that about 20 times before it made any sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Whoopsy daisy.

Class

BOpxcdbCYAAM20w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Had to read that about 20 times before it made any sense to me.
    I still don`t get the Briscoes and Jay bit who is Jay?
    Hunter? :eek:
    ;)

GTR63 wrote: »
    I still don`t get the Briscoes and Jay bit who is Jay?
    Hunter? :eek:
    ;)

Seriously bro. :p

ROH's Jay Briscoe. He ruined his and his brother's chances to go to WWE as a result of a succession of anti-homosexual tweets.

Seriously bro. :p

ROH's Jay Briscoe. He ruined his and his brother's chances to go to WWE as a result of a succession of anti-homosexual tweets.
    I know Jay but he said the Briscoes and I assumed it wasn`t a Briscoe brother.

Please be careful not to tweet anything that could upset the PG brigade, as I (heard?) we were going to hire the Briscoe's, and Jay (Briscoe).... (well he kind of fcuked that up?)

New Japan Audio Wrestling episode

http://fightnetwork.com/news/39845:july-edition-of-japanese-audio-wrestling/
    Chris Charlton and WH Park return for the month of July with a look at the recent NJPW Kizuna Road iPPV, the announcement of a stacked G-1 Climax tournament, the new Wrestle-One promotion that Keiji Muto has launched and more.

Prince Devitt vs Gedo who is Okada's manager. The final hurdle for Devitt before getting a crack at Okada's Heavyweight:

Gedo hadn't won a singles match in over a year and is one of New Japan's dirtiest heels but the crowd hates Devitt so much they are completely behind Gedo here. Shockingly good main event match from a semi-active manager. Like ****1/4 stars wise.

• Advertisement

This time tomorrow Devitt will probably be hitting the ring to wrestle for the Heavyweight title:

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw

The show itself starts 9am our time.

Fully emotionally invested now in Devitt winning the big one. Don't let me down New Japan.

The scene from every parish around Ireland 1pm tomorrow:
    k52YRzv.png
    Credit: Chordtype

As amazing as it'd be, I dont think Devitt is taking the title here. If he didnt have the Jr. title, then it'd be more likely to happen but I cant see him holding both. Can see him doing very well and maybe even winning the G1 to get himself another shot. Hopefully, by then he will have dropped the Jr. title to someone to increase his odds.

The scene from every parish around Ireland 1pm tomorrow

Don't forget the sangwidges.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Don't forget the sangwidges.

Careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I'd guess that they'll do Okada vs. Naito for the Tokyo Dome main event this year so I'd be very surprised if Devitt won but I'm really looking forward to this.

I'd guess that they'll do Okada vs. Naito for the Tokyo Dome main event this year so I'd be very surprised if Devitt won but I'm really looking forward to this.

Naito's knees are knackered though. That's a real issue.

Devitt's exchanges with Naito in various tags the past week have been excellent and bode well for their singles match.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Anybody manage to order this yet? Getting an error here

Also thread was 4 years old yesterday, gwan Flah

• Advertisement

Pingi wrote: »
    Anybody manage to order this yet? Getting an error here

Also thread was 4 years old yesterday, gwan Flah
    Ordered it on Wednesday through my Facebook log in now that won't work for me hopefully it's fixed before the show starts.

Advertisement