Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Just finished night 3 another very solid show thought Shibata/makabe was very good and also really liked Ishii/Devitt,i love Devitt but Ishii is one of the best underdogs in all of wrestling you can't help but love the guy.

This line from Meltzer is great as well
    If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I have a feeling my top five matches this year will all be from NJPW. My current top 3 definitely are, I dont usually keep track after that which is why I'm not saying it definitely is.

Have to watch Tanahashi vs Ishii again as my brother wouldnt shut up talking the entire time it was on :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Watching day 2 I just find myself randomly smiling at how awesome it is. Why can't everywhere be like New Japan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Night 4 is much better than Night 2 even. The crowd in Osaka just elevated the action further too.

Prince Devitt's gimmick as most of you know is that he is REAL!!!! anyway to counter his opponent's Tanahashi celebratory air guitar pose Devitt brings a real guitar to the ring with him Jarrett style.

BQ1X8YUCYAA7RXb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

My man love for Fergal is unhealthy at this stage.

• Advertisement

Not reading anything from this thread yet have only watched up to Ishii vs Shibata OH MY GOD WHAT A MATCH right up there with Ishii vs Tanahashi best 113 euro i have ever spent.

Think theyd ever put the belt on Ishii? He's on a great roll and over like rover.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Headbutts are getting scary now

Just finished night 4 Nakamura/Ibushi was class as well this whole tournament is just out of this world and we're only four shows in.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

First time properly watching New Japan, loving it. Night 4 was the best so far just absolutely crazy.

Ishii is the boss.

• Advertisement

Pingi wrote: »
    First time properly watching New Japan, loving it. Night 4 was the best so far just absolutely crazy.

Ishii is the boss.

He'd bust a few heads open outside Mousie's of a Saturday night alright.

As someone only getting into it the last few months he is great to watch.

I love how its easy to pick up what guys are about even in New Japan even though all I am seeing are matches with Japanese commentary. Their persona's etc need no explanation.

My 2nd favourite show of the year. Day 4:

Everyone needs to seen Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata at the 1:06:40 mark some are calling it ***** some people are saying it isnt even a Pro Wrestling match.
    1. Toru Yano vs. Yujiro Takahashi

2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. "The Machine Gun" Karl Anderson

3. Yuji Nagata vs. Shelton "X" Benjamin

4. Satoshi Kojima vs. Davey Boy Smith, Jr.

5. Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata

6. Hirooki Goto vs. Lance Archer

7. Tetsuya Naito vs. Minoru Suzuki

8. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt

9. Togi Makabe vs. Kazuchika Okada

10. Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi

^^^^ Yes every one watch that and Nakamura vs Ibushi.
    rovert wrote: »
    My 2nd favourite show of the year. Day 4:
    Everyone needs to seen Tomohiro Ishii vs. Katsuyori Shibata at the 1:06:40 mark some are calling it ***** some people are saying it isnt even a Pro Wrestling match.
    Why that's? to brutal for them to me it's my clear moty.

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    ^^^^ Yes every one watch that and Nakamura vs Ibushi.

Why that's? to brutal for them to me it's my clear moty.

Too brutal (concussions yo) or it is on a paradigm compared to most matches you would rate.

rovert wrote: »
    Too brutal (concussions yo) or it is on a paradigm compared to most matches you would rate.
    I can understand that not a huge fan of the headbutts myself,but the buzz in the crowd before they even touched was amazing and I can ignore the headbutts for how good the whole match was.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

enjoyed seeing the amount of shenanigans in the Devitt match. Will watch the rest of the show now, great job everyone keeping up with it, I'd have been clueless otherwise!

I guess headbutts are 2013's chairshots?

Night 5 was no great shakes:
    If you are behind on your G1 viewing, don’t worry about this one. Move along, nothing to see here. I liked Davey Boy vs Okada best, but it’s hardy must see. Look, this thing has been beyond awesome so far. They weren’t all going to be winners. The crowd was horrendous, which did not help matters, but I can cut some of these guys a break for not killing themselves every single night. It’s a hard tour.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/08/06/new-japan-g1-climax-2013-night-five-recap-crowd-commits-murder/

Yeah skip day 5 horrible crowd and nothing above three stars imo onwards to tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Could someone explain the tourbament process to me?

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Could someone explain the tourbament process to me?

A round-robin tournament with winners from two blocks wrestling in the final to decide that year's winner. The winner of each block is determined by a points system; two points for a victory, one point for a draw, and zero points for a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Been really enjoying these events. Haven't seen show 5 yet, though. Might just watch Devitt's bout if it's not too good a show.

First time I've had a look at Naito too. I remember hearing he was a great prospect. I think he was last injured last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Finally got the watch Tanahashi vs Ishii again and it is as awesome as people had said. I was worried it had been overhyped due to the hot streak with the matches beforehand but it really was that great.

Have Nights 3 + 4 ready to go but I like watching them in full and in the one go. Three and a half hours of spare time isnt easy to find every day :pac:

Finished day 6 would put it on the level of day 1 good show Shibata vs Okada was good and hopefully they have a PPV main event in the future and Tanahashi vs Goto was a enjoyable match as well.

Unfortunately news.
    Goto & Tenzan out of G-1

It's been reported in Japan that Hirooki Goto and Hiroyoshi Tenzan are both out of the rest of the G-1 Climax series.

Their matches on the next three shows will all become forfeit losses. Goto and Prince Devitt were both tied for first place in the A block at the time of the injury with 4-2 records.

Tenzan had gone 3-3 after his win earlier today over Tetsuya Naito.

Needless to say Goto's injury changes a lot and possibly what was the planned final.

Poor Tenzan was fairly horrible in the tournament and shouldn't be in singles matches as broken down as he is.

Devitt wanted to box ex-MMA fighter Shibata today:
    iDRsdUK6Lkzi8.gif

Best Boxer ever to come out of Bray.

Ah feck, I really enjoy Goto's stuff. Possibly because he looks like a kick ass samurai from an action movie or video game.

Rovert, that devitt post was better when you spelled shibata as ****aba. You should tell Ferg to use that one (maybe he already does)

• Advertisement

No selling moves like Hogan:
    wtggfn.png

iXTfTWv0xL8W8.gif

Advertisement