Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Have heard that going to watch it later but for anyone who hasn't seen it they should really watch this from Dragon Gate between Yoshino and Mochizuki a lot of peoples moty so far,Dragon Gate is really good at the moment.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1al5dx_masato-yoshino-c-vs-masaaki-mochizuki-dragon-gate_sport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Any big New Japan Cup thoughts guys?

BipWp5zCQAASo6h.jpg
    BirAyfFCIAAtfZY.jpg

Kayfabe wise Shibata seems like the storyline favourite.

A lot of the first round matches are hard to call.

Devitt/Archer is the most interesting due to dem WWE rumours:

- Some people think he will berried.
    - Some people think Devitt is going to the finals in an attempt for New Japan to keep him.
    - Most people think Nakamura is winning. So with Lance Archer and Davey Boy Smith being a top team New Japan can't job both guys in the first round.

To me Devitt will at least wrestle Nakamura in the second round as this is Devitt's first New Japan Cup ever as he only moved to up heavyweight last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It's a shame they didnt move Devitt or Nakamura over to the other half of their bracket. Avoid them meeting so early as they are the only two I'd say have a chance in that lot. Could have had Naito, Shibata, Devitt and Nakamura as the final four had it been laid out a little different. Even just swap Gallows and Devitt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Been trying to get my kid nephew into wrestlers other than Jeff Hardy&Mysterio. Might have succeded with showing him a pic of Devitt's body paint and a compilation video of his moves. He loved the bicycle kick naturally being a football fan and all. Told him he was from Bray and might be going to WWE and he seemed interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What's the story with the NJC winner having to choose which belt they go for this year? Why would a star wanna go for the Intercontinental Title? (In kayfabe terms I mean). I assume they're doing the option gimmick as a way to elevate the IC strap?

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    What's the story with the NJC winner having to choose which belt they go for this year? Why would a star wanna go for the Intercontinental Title? (In kayfabe terms I mean). I assume they're doing the option gimmick as a way to elevate the IC strap?

Kayfabe it has been competitively elevated to being on par with the main Heavyweight title by a marvellous Randy Savage type title reign by Nakamura and then the promotion's top star Tanahashi won the title.

New Japan's business plan seems to be an informal or formal Heavyweight/IC title brand spilt in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Has anyone bought DVDs from IVPVideos? I'm looking to get some decent quality stuff, crappy Youtube ain't cutting it anymore.

Has anyone bought DVDs from IVPVideos? I'm looking to get some decent quality stuff, crappy Youtube ain't cutting it anymore.
    IVP is very good never had any problems with any stuff i have gotten from them and if you have decent internet and don't want to wait for it they will put whatever you want up as a download.

And this site is great for download links for tons of matches http://ditch.lcwe.com/

Great graphic for the remainder of the New Japan Cup all going down this weekend:

SqSnqH7.jpg

Reminder: New Japan's Invasion PPV is the morning of Wrestlemania. Last year was the same the deal and it was a great show. So I had a "Wrestlemania" before Wrestlemania while those who only watch WWE were stressing out about the quality of Wrestlemania 29:

Thought Gallows would have went through and Fale would go out.

Nakamura vs Devitt should be great, and hopefully Shibata vs Naito in the Quarter Finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Interesting to see where they'll go. It seems like it'll be either a Goto/Shibata final which could potentially be going to the well one time to many (though it could just be super awesome again) or a Shibata/Nakamura final which could potentially set up another Nakamura/Tanahashi match (though I suppose Nakamura could always win the whole thing setting up him vs. Okada but I'll be disappointed if Shibata loses). Has the runner up facing the unpicked champion actually been set in stone yet?

Meltzer says AJ Styles has signed a one year deal with New Japan. However it is being kept hush hush on both sides as New Japan wants to announce it in conjunction with the Invasion PPV build.

The expectation of everyone is that he will have his debut match on the Invasion PPV. But I know someone involved in one of indy promotions in New Orleans for Wrestlemania weekend who said that his promotion tried to book AJ but they couldn't match what New Japan was paying.

AJ wrestling for New Japan is a bit of novelty and intrigue that is lacking from WWE or the Indy promotions running in New Orleans that we can watch over here anyway IMO (another story altogether). Also the Young Bucks are wrestling for New Japan Wrestlemania weekend which messes up things for DGUSA and EVOLVE as they tend to hold together those shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

62P9Dyh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

How big of a deal is that viewed as by New Japan? Just a 1 year deal is strange I find, unless its a rolling contract.

rovert wrote: »
    Meltzer says AJ Styles has signed a one year deal with New Japan. However it is being kept hush hush on both sides as New Japan wants to announce it in conjunction with the Invasion PPV build.

The expectation of everyone is that he will have his debut match on the Invasion PPV. But I know someone involved in one of indy promotions in New Orleans for Wrestlemania weekend who said that his promotion tried to book AJ but they couldn't match what New Japan was paying.

AJ wrestling for New Japan is a bit of novelty and intrigue that is lacking from WWE or the Indy promotions running in New Orleans that we can watch over here anyway IMO (another story altogether). Also the Young Bucks are wrestling for New Japan Wrestlemania weekend which messes up things for DGUSA and EVOLVE as they tend to hold together those shows.

Wasnt the Styles thing announced a while ago?

As for the Bucks, Gabe should know better than to expect them to pick DGUSA and EVOLVE over NJPW. Nobody in their right mind would do that. He should have been expecting them not to be involved and make preperations for it ahead of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Wow, Devitt v Nakamura should be epic! Two of my favourites to watch in recent months - when will that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

GTR63 wrote: »
    How big of a deal is that viewed as by New Japan? Just a 1 year deal is strange I find, unless its a rolling contract.

It's standard in Japan for wrestling contracts to only last one year and all end on a certain date, at least publicly. There are certainly wrestlers who are signed to multi-year deals but everyone is usually loyal to their company and rarely jump somewhere else. A famous example is the majority of the All Japan roster led my Misawa leaving the company in 2000 to form NOAH. They were all able to do so because their contracts ended at the same time.

Just as well Paddy Power doesn't take bets on this stuff.

Personally giving 24 hours on spoilers here:
    Fale and Shelton advanced. The latter is a real shocker. I guess Shibata is in the doghouse something he tends to end up in

Details:
    http://whywouldanyonereadthis.com/2014/03/22/njpw-new-japan-cup-quarterfinals-3222014-results-review/

I can only see one winner now. It's a shame as with a little different lay out the final four could have all been worthy winners.

I now want Suzuki to win:
    Suzuki chimed in on it and basically said this bickering about the titles was stupid and the winner of the NJC should be put into a double title, winner take all 3 way match with Okada and Tanahashi, especially if he wins.

:D

• Advertisement

Nakamura with the victory, beating Fale in the final. Fale went over Makabe, Naito and Benjamin. He must be blackmailing them somehow.

Nakamura has picked the Intercontinental title match against Tanahashi, meaning Fale will get a World title match against Okada.

Just finished today's show watch the last two matches and skip the rest
    Nakamura got a great match out of Fale and the cut he got from the accidental headbutt looked really nasty,Natio and Ishii were really good in the six man they really have amazing chemistry together.

The full Invasion Attack card (contains spoilers for the NJ Cup): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_Attack

Feel bad for Okada being so far down the card. He hasn't done a lot wrong but is being over looked to make the IC title more important.

Ugh at the Gracie's again.

Naito & Marufuji vs KENTA & Tanaka from the recent NOAH show is very good and well worth the 40 minutes it takes to watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

So AJ Styles is the new Bullet Club leader
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Can anybody link me to a review of the show? Not seen a single write up anywhere.

Whosthis wrote: »
    Can anybody link me to a review of the show? Not seen a single write up anywhere.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/04/06/new-japan-invasion-attack-2014-review/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Sounds like a great show, must give it a look.
    So Devitt turned face and is apparently out of The Bullet Club but any idea if he's gone from NJPW? The review says that the stip was unofficial.

• Advertisement

Whosthis wrote: »
    Sounds like a great show, must give it a look.
    So Devitt turned face and is apparently out of The Bullet Club but any idea if he's gone from NJPW? The review says that the stip was unofficial.

Still in talks apparently.

Advertisement