Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

beakerjoe wrote: »
    With The Destruction Tour kicking off soon, Ive written a piece on Juice Robinson, the former CJ Parker who is joining up with NJPW for the first time in his career.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2015/09/03/the-rebuilding-of-cj-parker/

Its a big opportunity for the man and I am interested to see how he fairs.

I thought CJ had retired!

Hope things work out for him, I felt he had great potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I thought CJ had retired!

Hope things work out for him, I felt he had great potential

It turns out he just retired the character/name. Hes going by his previous name, Juice Robinson now.

Kind of ironic that diluted orange is called squash in the US and that Robinsons Juice is a dilatued orange drink here and he was fairly great at being the fodder in squash matches during the end of his NXT run.

Ill get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Hopefully this is the right thread but has anyone ordered from the NJPW Europe site? I ordered a Bullet Club shirt and it never arrived, emails went unanswered so had to raise a dispute on PayPal and got my money back.

I still would like the shirt but am hesitant to use them again. Or does any one know where else to get an official one. Anything on eBay looks like a knock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Hopefully this is the right thread but has anyone ordered from the NJPW Europe site? I ordered a Bullet Club shirt and it never arrived, emails went unanswered so had to raise a dispute on PayPal and got my money back.

I still would like the shirt but am hesitant to use them again. Or does any one know where else to get an official one. Anything on eBay looks like a knock off.

Tbh the shirts on NJPW Europe are just from Pro Wrestling Tees so they won't have the lionmark tag on the shirt. That's not that important to some people though.

I tried Yottsume before but this was after he disappeared so I had to raise a PayPal dispute too and got my money back.

I ordered a Shinsuke Nakamura t shirt and a Lion Mark hoodie from the official NJPW store based in Japan. They don't ship internationally so I used White Rabbit. You give them the details of the item you want to purchase, they purchase the item and ship it to you. They were very quick, polite, an all round good experience after the Yottsume disaster. Cost wise it shouldn't be much more than you'll actually pay on NJPW Europe. If you need any help let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

saw the other day that 'Sean Guinness' has gone back over to Zero-1 for another stint, hope it goes well again for him, one of Irelands best imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

He's definitely been one of the standouts from the show the couple of times I've seen him work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Tbh the shirts on NJPW Europe are just from Pro Wrestling Tees so they won't have the lionmark tag on the shirt. That's not that important to some people though.

I tried Yottsume before but this was after he disappeared so I had to raise a PayPal dispute too and got my money back.

I ordered a Shinsuke Nakamura t shirt and a Lion Mark hoodie from the official NJPW store based in Japan. They don't ship internationally so I used White Rabbit. You give them the details of the item you want to purchase, they purchase the item and ship it to you. They were very quick, polite, an all round good experience after the Yottsume disaster. Cost wise it shouldn't be much more than you'll actually pay on NJPW Europe. If you need any help let me know.

Thank you! I'll look into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I found Pro Wrestling Tees to be very slow in their delivery there recently, but the quality great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

This thread took way too long to find.

Wrestle Kingdom X line up following the (dull) tag league.

IWGP Heavyweight Championship
    Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

IWGP Intercontinental Championship
    Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. AJ Styles

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
    Kenny Omega (c) vs. KUSHIDA

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship
    reDRagon (c) vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet vs. Roppongi Vice vs. Young Bucks

ROH World Championship
    Jay Lethal (c) vs. Michael Elgin

IWGP Tag Team Championship
    Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) (c) vs. GBH (Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma)

NEVER Openweight Championship
    Tomohiro Ishii (c) vs. Katsuyori Shibata

Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga & Takahashi) vs. Toru Yano & TBA

Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuyta Naito

New Japan Rumble
    TBA

Talk about stacked!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I hope AJ is able to perform at Wrestle Kingdom with this back injury

• Advertisement

It's an incredible card, it'll almost undoubtedly be the show of the year. Perhaps if you were nit-picking you would say that the fatal four way Junior Tag Title match show be a straight up regular tag match and that you have no desire to see Doc Gallows in a featured match but those are just minor gripes. I realise too that there aren't many fresh matches on the card, many are rematches but dammit the quality of these matches should be so good that this will be insignificant. There's so much potential on this card, the final 3 matches in particular have the ability to all get 5 stars.

Personally I am most looking forward to the main event, Okada vs Tanahashi. We've seen it many times, each time they've given us something new, each time they've given us a different type of match. I've talked on here before about the backstory and how it's peaked at just the right time, in my mind this is the best pro wrestling rivalry since Kobashi vs Misawa. For anybody who is considering trying NJPW for the first time this event is the ideal jumping on point and there will also be English commentary on NJPW World too.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I hope AJ is able to perform at Wrestle Kingdom with this back injury

With Lethal vs. Elgin announced it seems highly unlikely Styles was winning at Final Battle next weekend. So I'm now hoping they cancel that match, have Lethal claim Styles is running scared, then make the main event a three way of Lethal defending against both Elgin and Moose with Moose taking the fall. Let Styles rest right until the last second for Wrestle Kingdom. Styles vs Lethal has happened many times before so can wait until the Anniversary show if needed.

My original idea if Styles were to miss Wrestle Kingdom no longer works. I would have done Lethal vs Nakamura in a Champion vs Champion match while Elgin goes against Ishii. Now if Styles cant make it, their best bet is probably calling Suzuki back from NOAH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Would love if they did the english commentary again

Would love if they did the english commentary again

They are. Kevin Kelly and Matt Striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Tana vs Okada will be unreal even if we've seen it before, think Rock vs Austin and their Mania trilogy.

Styles vs Nakamura is the one to watch IMO. Cannot wait for this. Even if they work at 80%, they'll still be in for MOTY contendership.

The 4 Way jr tag is what it is, a chaotic spot fest with f-all pacing, but what a way to officially kick off the ppv. I've no problem with it at all.

Looking forward to seeing Kenny Omega, he cracks me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

That Jnr tag match looks tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I'm pretty sure KES have gone backwards in the last year or so. Especially Davey Jr. Hero made them look like rookies at the Destiny show. Put them both to shame with his performance. Even Cabana looked better and more interested.

So I do a bit of writing for a wrestling site (I cover NJPW stuff) and with Wrestle Kingdom 10 on the horizon and with it being the biggest Japanese pro wrestling show of the year (and always a frontrunner for best show of the year in wrestling) I did a preview and prediction piece if anybody fancies checking it out.

https://kayfabetoday.wordpress.com/2015/12/29/njpw-wrestle-kingdom-10-preview-and-predictions/

(btw my contributions are labelled under EvilJason27)

Well that didn't get a great reaction....

But in any case, it's Wrestle Kingdom time! Is anyone watching the show tonight? Pre show starts at 6am, main card begins at 7am GMT. For those who don't know, this is New Japan Pro Wrestling's biggest show of the year and the card is as stacked as any card I can ever remember seeing. It's practically guaranteed to be a frontrunner for best pro wrestling show of the year (if anything beats this card it'll be a minor miracle). It'll be about 5 hours of hard hitting, technically sound, rollercoaster of emotions with all of the pomp and pageantry we've come to expect of New Japan on their biggest night in the hallowed ground of the famed Tokyo Dome.

And that was my hard sell for an event that really doesn't require it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

I'll be watching after work tomorrow afternoon. I've been stupidly excited for this for the past few weeks and can't pick out what match I'm looking forward to to the most.

The only thing I'm not not looking forward to is the possibility of Okada not winning. He NEEDS to win this match, or else last years result was for nothing.

I'll be watching after work tomorrow afternoon. I've been stupidly excited for this for the past few weeks and can't pick out what match I'm looking forward to to the most.

The only thing I'm not not looking forward to is the possibility of Okada not winning. He NEEDS to win this match, or else last years result was for nothing.

Ah man it'll be like Christmas morning for me, there's so many matches on this card that could easily steal the show. The standard should be incredibly high.

I'll be sitting in front of the tv with my Rainmaker shirt on in tears if he loses like he did last year. It's such a brilliantly told story, and the whole Okada losing and crying at last year's Wrestle Kingdom and his road to redemption this whole year could not have been more perfectly put together or executed. He does need this win, he needs to beat the man on the biggest stage, while Okada's title may be the physical prize in the main event, it is Tanahashi's status as "ace" of the company that is the true prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Is there a way to watch it with the English commentary online live? New Japan World or something?

I'll be shocked if Okada doesn't win, likewise with KUSHIDA. Those two are nailed on winners for me.

My predictions:

New Japan Rumble: Yuji Nagata again. Would like a Young Lion to win but can't see them doing it.

Jr. Tag: reDRagon to retain. Not much more to be said.

Six man tag: Bullet Club. Briscoes are a bigger deal, but Bullet Club are full timers and often in six man tags. Can see the Briscoes being used as a normal tag in future.

ROH title: Lethal retains. Elgin is working without a contract so I can't see ROH taking the chance after what happened with Del Rio. A Lethal win puts him over big time ahead of the ROH Japan shows.

Jr. title: KUSHIDA wins. I'll be shocked if Omega retains.

Tag titles: GBH win and hopefully don't lose the titles back in February.

Goto vs Naito: I'd have said Naito, but Goto beat Okada during the G1 and never got his title shot. A win for Goto here gives them an easy title match for the New Beginning Shows. Wins and losses don't effect Naito either.

NEVER: This is where business will really pick up. Watch their 2013 match and I dare you not to be hyped. I want to say Shibata, but think that is one too many title changes so I'll say Ishii retains.

Intercontinental: Could go either way as neither guy is guaranteed to be there after January. I'll say Styles to freshen up the division as Nakamura has faced practically everyone he can. Styles winning also allows them two more matches against each other. Nakamura winning eliminates that possibility.

IWGP: Okada retains. Personally, I'm hoping for dickhead Tanahashi throughout the match to make it that much better when Okada drops him and claims his spot as the ace of the company.

I can't see a bad match on the card. Six man didn't look good until the Briscoes were announced while the Rumble should be fun at the least. The final three matches have MOTYC written all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Is there a way to watch it with the English commentary online live? New Japan World or something?

Am wondering this myself as ill be home from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,834 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think I remember Kevin Kelly said he and Matt Striker would be doing it on a podcast last month.

Where and with who I don't no maybe for AXS TV who show NJPW in the States.

To answer that. Kevin Kelly, Matt Striker and Yoshi-Tatsu (formerly of WWE and there to translate promos) will be doing the English commentary feed. The English feed will be live on NJPW World as the show happens, you can choose which feed you want to watch, the Japanese feed or the English feed. Both start at 7am I believe with the main show starting at 8 am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,037 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kenny Omega on The Excellent Adventures of Gootecks and Mike Ross.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

What time is WK10 on for us?

• Advertisement

Angron wrote: »
    What time is WK10 on for us?

Pre show starts at 7am, main show kicks off at 8am.

Advertisement