Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Really enjoyed New Years Dash. Not as pivotal as last year's (for obvious reasons) but still a fun and important show. The lineup for the foreseeable future seems to be Okada vs Suzuki, Naito vs Elgin, Goto vs Juice Robinson, Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee, Ishii/Yano vs KES. That all sounds absolutely fantastic! Also nice that Tana closed out the show.

By the way, the Meltzer ratings are in for Wrestle Kingdom. Kushida vs Hiromu, Goto vs Shibata, Naito vs Tanahashi all **** 1/2 while Okada vs Omega got ****** it's the (joint) highest rating he's ever given and he's described it as one of the greatest wrestling matches ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

sky88 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention how just terrible cody is. He's just become the most annoying wrestler since leaving wwe. Had to shake my head when corino said he was better then dusty and goldust. Unbelievable comment.

Juice on the other hand has become so much better from what I seen.

Cody was always a better personality than wrestler. I give him credit for really buying into whatever gimmick he was given, but his actual wrestling work has only ever been passable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Had Suzuki down to win the Rambo, and it was what it was. Never expected much from it. They were fun to a point in previous years and this was no different. I did enjoy Billy Gunn and Elgin starting off as a visual. 2017 may be as wacky as 2016. Happy for Nagata, I wonder will anything happen for him as a result

Wasnt mad on Tiger Mask v TMD. Went and made a cuppa if Im honest as I had no interest

I may be suffering from overkill in relation to The Bucks and Vice. The match was full of what I expected, nice spots, superkicks, high spots. While it was fine, it just never got me going as Ive seen them plenty of times already. Still a good match.

After The Bucks v Vice, which while it didn’t blow me away I still enjoyed it. The next match seemed to try cram as many guys onto the card as possible. It was a fine bout, The end sequence was were things picked up as Kojima got me really invested as he cleared house and then Riochet flying around like a buzzing bee. Im surprised they didn’t book Will v Riochet 1 on 1 but I understand why they got everyone involved here.

Cody and Juice was fine. I wanted to get behind Juice when he started last year as I always believe it took guts doing what he did (leaving WWE and gamble on improving else where with no real rep) so I was always rooting for him here despite me liking Cody. The match was fine and had me invested more than I should have being with Cody being the d!ck heel very well while Juice potrayed the plucky young up start in his biggest match to date very well.

KR V Adam Cole was good but I expected better. I felt the crowd was a little disconnected from the match. Both men worked hard and delivered a solid match but the crowds lack of excitement took away from the match a little.

The tag Titles match was good and the crowd seemed to me more into this and it made the match better as a result, but Yano and Iishi’s parts of the match seemed to take away from the other two teams each time eith GBH or GOD tried to push the match into a higher level. While the match made sense booking wise and the finish was logical, I feel with Yano and Iishi the match would have been more enjoyable.

For me the show started to hit its stride with Takahashi and Kushida. It was just such a step above everything that came before it with both men delivering some awesome wrestling and some gorgeous sequences. It was a very dangerous match spot wise, with both men doing there best Daniel Bryan impression of self harm in the ring to get the match over and it worked. Both men killed it, nearly at their own expense. It had its sloppy bits but the aggression displayed by both men covered for that, esp in Takehashi’s case. Hes just bat sh!t crazy. Loved this match and it set the tone of what was to come.

After that, I wondered if the next match would match it or suffer for following it. Shibata v Goto was epic. The start was just majestic with some nice holds and counters followed by some wild power shots to see these two rip each other apart. It was just perfect. Both men battered eachother in what I can only describe as a full on war. Goto had to win and he looked like a million bucks in there and Shibata surely will move upwards despite the loss.
    The match I was looking most forward to, Naito is just wonderful and Ive always some love for the old ace. Could Tanahashi prove that he can hang with the top star in Naito or is his time up. Well he could hang but he didn’t get the job done. Naito had to win. Hes in his prime while Tanahashi is just past his and the match told that story of a man who just wasn’t able to keep up with the new guy. Great stuff. Loved the psychology here and both men worked there asses off and it was match of the night at this point. Hate Tanas new theme though, yuk.

The final bout was unpredictable for me going in. I could invasion both men winning and I could see a great case for both winning, but my heart always said Omega and my head said Okada. I should never go with my heart in wrestling.

As a match I wondered could it top the previous match or would it suffer a little because of how good that was. As with NJPW, I really shouldn’t think like that.

It was a spectacle and what a main event should be. Two of the best in the business going at it and delivering a great both for the ages. Omega was the best ive ever seen him while Okada showed that he can be best wrestler in the business today no matter who hes in the ring with. Hes flawless and Omega kept up too. It be hard to call who had the better performance here. Kenny sold, he bumped, he took crazy bumps, and he executed everything with grace and splender. Both men left it all out there as it should be.

The match kept me invested thinking the finish was nigh when it wasn’t. Okadas Rainmakers were picture perfect and Omega took each one like it killed him….. yet he kept going and it made him a true big match star. The pace of the match was sublime and it never felt like a chore or too long for a 40 minute plus match. The little things in this match were a nice touch and the attention to detail only improved it (like Omegas Bomeye) I loved the fact that Kenny never hit his finisher as it begs the question of what happens next time if he does!

Omega lived up to his end of the bargain and Okada was…well Okada. A perfect match in my eyes.

I wish I woke up early and watch it live but I did watch it spoiler free. The last 4 matches were truly amazing. seek them out.

Ali Bomaye wrote: »
    T

Takahashi vs Kushida was great stuff. I absolutely love the spot where Kushida catches his opponent in the cross arm breaker in mid air. A couple of botches in the match but in a way it adds to the match with Takahashi being a crazy man.

Yes, this is what i was trying to say above. Its like his craziness and aggression is what causes the botches, not bad timing. Its like hes so mad that he rushes into the moves which causes some accidents to happen. It defo adds to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Say what you like, but to me a wrestling board where there is scant mention for the biggest wrestling show of the year not held under a WWE banner borders on embarrassing.

I really enjoy Evolve too, and I watch WWE. I totally get that puro is very different to those 2 (and britwres like Progress) and everyone has their favourites. I'd absolutely never take it personally or fault you for preferring Evolve, WWE or Progress to NJPW, nor would I fault you. It's all wrestling, we're all fans of it in some form or another, enjoy it.

You called it embarrassing. Can you not see how that rubs people up the wrong way?

Anyway, onto the show. The Rumble was just a bit of craic as always. Decent seeing Big Mike go coast to coast but Cheeseburger was a great lad for getting the crowd going. Cool to see Scott Norton again. Harmless pre-show fare.

The Tiger Mask W vs Tiger the Dark match main card opener was actually very good. Both boys got their stuff in and popped the audience nicely. I won't claim to be up on anime or what these characters represent but Ibushi is Ibushi no matter what way you dress it up so you're always gonna be entertained.

The IWGP Jr Tag bout was great for me. Rocky Romero in particular was the man here. He fought through everything and was sweet to see him get the victory after eating the pin last year in the same spot. Good change of pace to have a 2 vs 2 rather than the usual 4 way. Corino calling 'Superkiiiiiiicck' got grating though.

The 6 Man Never Openweight Tag match took the get everyone on the card spot. I'd never seen David Finlay before and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Glad LIJ picked up the victory. Sanada's Cold Skull moniker and look is savage, so much better than his white meat babyface look in TNA. At New Year's Dash-
    Pretty lame that LIJ dropped the straps already.

Cody vs Juice Robinson was much more than the squash I expected it to be. Juice got plenty of offense in and looked good. Cody being himself and being a cocky so and so is excellent to see. Don't wanna see anymore comedy from him. Time to be a bad ass. Welcome the American Nightmare.

Adam Cole vs Kyle O'Reilly was a decent enough bout. 10 minutes back and forth with Cole becoming the first ever 3 time ROH Champion. 3 stars.

Guerillas of Destiny vs GBH vs Ishii and Yano was actually a bit nuts. Yano as a joker, Ishii as this no nonsense pitbull, Honma as I don't know what and Tama Roa with the worst case of potty mouth I've ever seen. A good cooler before the main events.

I'm not even gonna try put into words the last 4 matches other than to say it's probably the best 100 mins+ of wrestling ever to close a card. I didn't blink once during any of the bouts. From the Jr Heavyweight clash to the hard hitting Shibata vs Goto fight (and it was a fight) to the absolute swagger of Naito vs Tana to that main event. My god. Okada vs Omega already has hands on the MOTY Award. 6 Stars Official! Unreal.

• Advertisement

By the way, the Meltzer ratings are in for Wrestle Kingdom. Kushida vs Hiromu, Goto vs Shibata, Naito vs Tanahashi all **** 1/2 while Okada vs Omega got ****** it's the (joint) highest rating he's ever given and he's described it as one of the greatest wrestling matches ever.

I don't know if you or other place much emphasis or importance on Meltzer's star rating but would the next logical step after 5 Stars not be 51/4 or 51/2. He's basically saying the match was perfect I get that but is there a scale now for something between 5 and 6!? Poor Tana and Naito were outdone by a full Star and a half :p

I really enjoyed the whole 4 Rainmakers vs 0 One Winged Angel plot. Makes it natural then to see if Kenny hits it would it win him the strap. Is it well protected over there?

Clegg wrote: »
    Cody was always a better personality than wrestler. I give him credit for really buying into whatever gimmick he was given, but his actual wrestling work has only ever been passable.

I thought hes been above passable. He doesnt blow me away but I dont hate him by any means.

Meltzers ratings are a good guide for me, I dont agree with some of his ratings. He always had a soft spot for old buddy Flair and others he is friends for (The Young Bucks/ Flairs Daughter). Hes a huge Flair mark and he general over does star ratings by half a star/full star when it comes to his buddys.

Hes a huge NJPW fan too and IMO he general oversells the odd match by half a star because its NJPW, but to be fair thats his opinion and I can easily see why he gives higher/lower ratings than what I agree with as its all subjective anyway.

I think the 5 star rating fits the match, its perfect. Giving this match higher and thus breaking the scale is just over doing it in my book.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

But that's utterly ridiculous. To me, that's the equivalent of saying "well Eastenders is better than Mad Men cos there's more to talk about" It's even more bizarre considering the main event of the Dome show today might be the most hotly debated match in recent memory. You could talk about what you thought of the match, story leading into the match and the part it played, where do both guys go from here, where does the match rank historically ect. Not to mention discussing the actual intricacies of the match and giving your own view of it. Yes, the storytelling is more subtle in puroresu but ultimately, I find at least, the payoffs are far greater.

You don't need to post in a insulting, dismissive way here, it's not the soccer forum.

Going back to the post I made earlier, I think you may have misunderstood my point. WWE is easier to talk about (not better) than a lot of other shows that people will not watch live. A lot more happens in WWE day to day, week to week and with the accessibility (or saturation) of their product its much easier to talk about. Especially the controversial stuff.

On your general point you could revise your expectations and account for the location and recent history of the forum.

This forum is a small part of a much bigger site, you won't get and shouldn't expect a big puro discussion here as things are happening. If anything you should expect what we saw, people making posts after they got around to watching it.

We also saw some awkward exchanges on this forum over things lke match ratings, puro compared to WWE and imo its why this thread and the top matches of the year threads were almost abandoned.

Omackeral wrote: »
    You called it embarrassing. Can you not see how that rubs people up the wrong way?

Anyway, onto the show. The Rumble was just a bit of craic as always. Decent seeing Big Mike go coast to coast but Cheeseburger was a great lad for getting the crowd going. Cool to see Scott Norton again. Harmless pre-show fare.

The Tiger Mask W vs Tiger the Dark match main card opener was actually very good. Both boys got their stuff in and popped the audience nicely. I won't claim to be up on anime or what these characters represent but Ibushi is Ibushi no matter what way you dress it up so you're always gonna be entertained.

The IWGP Jr Tag bout was great for me. Rocky Romero in particular was the man here. He fought through everything and was sweet to see him get the victory after eating the pin last year in the same spot. Good change of pace to have a 2 vs 2 rather than the usual 4 way. Corino calling 'Superkiiiiiiicck' got grating though.

The 6 Man Never Openweight Tag match took the get everyone on the card spot. I'd never seen David Finlay before and have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Glad LIJ picked up the victory. Sanada's Cold Skull moniker and look is savage, so much better than his white meat babyface look in TNA. At New Year's Dash-
    Pretty lame that LIJ dropped the straps already.

Cody vs Juice Robinson was much more than the squash I expected it to be. Juice got plenty of offense in and looked good. Cody being himself and being a cocky so and so is excellent to see. Don't wanna see anymore comedy from him. Time to be a bad ass. Welcome the American Nightmare.

Adam Cole vs Kyle O'Reilly was a decent enough bout. 10 minutes back and forth with Cole becoming the first ever 3 time ROH Champion. 3 stars.

Guerillas of Destiny vs GBH vs Ishii and Yano was actually a bit nuts. Yano as a joker, Ishii as this no nonsense pitbull, Honma as I don't know what and Tama Roa with the worst case of potty mouth I've ever seen. A good cooler before the main events.

I'm not even gonna try put into words the last 4 matches other than to say it's probably the best 100 mins+ of wrestling ever to close a card. I didn't blink once during any of the bouts. From the Jr Heavyweight clash to the hard hitting Shibata vs Goto fight (and it was a fight) to the absolute swagger of Naito vs Tana to that main event. My god. Okada vs Omega already has hands on the MOTY Award. 6 Stars Official! Unreal.

2 very different things being addressed there. I'm saying that I'd never criticise someone for liking a style or match more thwn another even if my opinion is different. The first point you quoted was me saying it's embarrassing that literally the biggest wrestling show outside of WWE hadn't gotten a mention on here before, during or afterwards. Maybe I was rash with that point and more people on here watched it than I thought would have so fair play.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    I don't know if you or other place much emphasis or importance on Meltzer's star rating but would the next logical step after 5 Stars not be 51/4 or 51/2. He's basically saying the match was perfect I get that but is there a scale now for something between 5 and 6!? Poor Tana and Naito were outdone by a full Star and a half :p

I really enjoyed the whole 4 Rainmakers vs 0 One Winged Angel plot. Makes it natural then to see if Kenny hits it would it win him the strap. Is it well protected over there?

It's a hugely well protected finish. I'd say you could make the case that it's currently the most protected finisher in NJPW after Shibata kicked out of the Shoutenkai in his match with Goto. Also remember Omega's G1 final match vs Goto, he hit the Bloody Sunday and the Styles Clash one after the other but only got a 2 count, then he hit his One Winged Angel for the win. I thought him coming close to, but not actually connecting with it was a brilliant bit of psychology and something you can eventually build a rematch on and, as you say, actually puts over that move so strong by not doing it!

Lads, can we not just get along and enjoy the graps.

I get what both of you are saying but come on, lets forget not be too defensive when posting and talk about how good the show was.

Have avoided NYD spoilers so far, anything shocking happen (is the show must see as Ive still Smackdown to watch)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Meltzers ratings are a good guide for me, I dont agree with some of his ratings. He always had a soft spot for old buddy Flair and others he is friends for (The Young Bucks/ Flairs Daughter). Hes a huge Flair mark and he general over does star ratings by half a star/full star when it comes to his buddys.

Hes a huge NJPW fan too and IMO he general oversells the odd match by half a star because its NJPW, but to be fair thats his opinion and I can easily see why he gives higher/lower ratings than what I agree with as its all subjective anyway.

I think the 5 star rating fits the match, its perfect. Giving this match higher and thus breaking the scale is just over doing it in my book.

ive stopped looking at his star ratings to be honest. he heavily favours njpw/pwg compared to the rest of the companies. Theres been some jericho matches which have been average to bad this past year hes been very kind to as their friends.

in fairness hes right a lot of the time but for example if sami/nakmaura and DIY/revivial happened in new japan they would have gotten 5 stars

ive stopped looking at his star ratings to be honest. he heavily favours njpw/pwg compared to the rest of the companies. Theres been some jericho matches which have been average to bad this past year hes been very kind to as their friends.

in fairness hes right a lot of the time but for example if sami/nakmaura and DIY/revivial happened in new japan they would have gotten 5 stars

The Jericho high ratings do annoy me, I havent liked much of him in ring this year, even when hes been in there with AJ it was nothing special. Jerichos been working safer at his age and hes slowed down, but i have enjoyed 1 or 2 of his bouts this year. But yeah Dave gives him much higher ratings than he deserves.

His match with Sami Zayn was good this year but it was no 4 stars. Same goes for his match with AJ at Fastlane. 3 and a half for me at best and I think Im being generous.

But its all subjective. I use his ratings as a guide more so than fact.

And Im probably as big a Jericho fan as anyone btw.

I mean personally I'm a fan of Meltzer and find his views on wrestling to be informative and generally on point.

He says himself that 4 and a half to him could easily be 5 to others. It's a matter of opinion. I really liked both of those matches and would have both in my WWE top 5 but for me I've seen better Nakamura matches than the Zayn one not ranked 5 stars and I've seen better tag matches in 2016 than the NXT one.

And Im probably as big a Jericho fan as anyone btw.

Me too for me hes up there with hbk as my favorites of all time. Character wise hes still phenomenal but he probaley should stop doing all the house shows at his age its got to take its toll at his age even with a safer style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,600 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I heard Meltzer and Alvarez reviewing Okada vs Omega before seeing the matches, so going in I knew a lot of what was to come (though I wasn't aware Meltzer gave the main event 6 stars though which is pretty amazing.)

Normally when I hear a lot of hype about a match it tends to disappoint by the time I get round to seeing it...but not this time. That match was exceptional. I didn't feel it overstayed its welcome with a bunch of unnecessary kick outs or anything; everything felt perfectly placed.

It got so loud near the end you could barely hear the commentators (I watched the English version).

I do agree that they need to tone down those impact moves on the head and neck. I was amazed Okada wasn't seriously hurt. But I can't fault the match. Also want to add I loved the camera shots to the fans in this match which, unlike with WWE, actually added to the drama, e.g. the women crying at the end.

I still have to check out the other matches. Apparently Mike Sempervive of the Observer site thought Naito vs Tanahashi was the best match but he seems to be alone in that view.

I heard Meltzer and Alvarez reviewing Okada vs Omega before seeing the matches, so going in I knew a lot of what was to come (though I wasn't aware Meltzer gave the main event 6 stars though which is pretty amazing.)

Normally when I hear a lot of hype about a match it tends to disappoint by the time I get round to seeing it...but not this time. That match was exceptional. I didn't feel it overstayed its welcome with a bunch of unnecessary kick outs or anything; everything felt perfectly placed.

It got so loud near the end you could barely hear the commentators (I watched the English version).

I do agree that they need to tone down those impact moves on the head and neck. I was amazed Okada wasn't seriously hurt. But I can't fault the match. Also want to add I loved the camera shots to the fans in this match which, unlike with WWE, actually added to the drama, e.g. the women crying at the end.

I still have to check out the other matches. Apparently Mike Sempervive of the Observer site thought Naito vs Tanahashi was the best match but he seems to be alone in that view.

Some of the neck bumps can be a bit unnerving if you aren't used to seeing it, as can the use of headbutts. I wont lie, I love both when used correctly. Actually I thought Omega's missile dropkick from the top rope to the back of the head of Okada was the sickect bump (outside of that completely deranged back body drop through the table) in that match, they showed a slow motion replay and the force of the kick to the back of Okada's head was utterly crazy. Talk about taking a beating for your art, anyone that saw Okada today at New Years Dash knows that he looked more like a car crash victim than a pro wrestler.

Well before the Okada v Omega, I was finding it hard to beat Tanahashi and Naito, who already out did two amazing matches before it. I just didnt think they could follow it. But they did.

The semi main event was a fantastic story of a match, but the main event was an out of this world spectacle. Thats how you cap off the biggest show of the year

• Advertisement

Well before the Okada v Omega, I was finding it hard to beat Tanahashi and Naito, who already out did two amazing matches before it. I just didnt think they could follow it. But they did.

The semi main event was a fantastic story of a match, but the main event was an out of this world spectacle. Thats how you cap off the biggest show of the year

Meltzer made a good point on his radio show. WWE has been trying to find their next company figurehead for the last three years but he Roman Reigns project has been an utter failure. If they're looking for someone who can cut a great promo, has the look of a top star, and can wrestle a broom to a 4 star match then Kenny Omega is the only choice. He is a 1000 times better than Reigns at everything.

AJ is the best wrestler in the company but they'll never push him like they did Reigns because of his height. It's a great compliment to Omega really. AJ is possibly the best wrestler of his generation and Meltz thinks Omega can be an even bigger star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Meltzer made a good point on his radio show. WWE has been trying to find their next company figurehead for the last three years but he Roman Reigns project has been an utter failure. If they're looking for someone who can cut a great promo, has the look of a top star, and can wrestle a broom to a 4 star match then Kenny Omega is the only choice. He is a 1000 times better than Reigns at everything.

AJ is the best wrestler in the company but they'll never push him like they did Reigns because of his height. It's a great compliment to Omega really. AJ is possibly the best wrestler of his generation and Meltz thinks Omega can be an even bigger star.

Isn't there only an inch difference in their respective heights though?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Isn't there only an inch difference in their respective heights though?

There could well be. I'm just paraphrasing what Meltzer said. Overall I think the point he was making is that Omega's look and promo ability is greater than AJ's and their in ring skills are at a similar level.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Think thats a bit of 'in the moment' hyperbole from Meltzer there. Kenny is great but no way does he be a top guy in WWE with the character he has. He definitely has the look and ability but AJ is miles better as a potential 'face' of a company.

Edit; he was absolutely fantastic in the Okada match though. Definitely one of the best big match performances ever.

I really like omega but that is a ridiculous over the top statement. Sure kenny is only 5 or 6 years younger then cena.

I also think kenny suits Japan better and you'd fear he would get got up in comedy in wwe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Omega's match was brilliant, and of the standard I've come to expect from WK matches.

I think my only real disappointment with the show was Bullet Club losing two titles, but only gaining one (and it's not even a NJ title). I also hate Yano Toru, and wish he'd just go away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

He wasn't so hot on Omega a year ago, wrestling can move fast!

Credit New Japans streak of picking the right guy, they pick guys and get behind them, build them well and allow them to prove themselves. They did it with Okada, Naito and now Omega. Finn and AJ could be in there only one left too soon and the other started hot.

Omega from DSW to crazy matches like DDT to star of show at WK11 is some story.

WWE messed up Reigns, it happens, even the Japanese rejected Nakamura first time round as he had not found the right style when he got his first big break.

Im so over the Bullet Club. Its past its sell by date at this stage.

• Advertisement

Im so over the Bullet Club. Its past its sell by date at this stage.

Bone Soldier is gonna have a 7 Star match by year's end.

Advertisement