Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Can't remember which thread it was in but to whoever suggested a NJPW World thread, that'd be great.

Thread set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

**CONTAINS SPOILER FROM NEW YEARS DASH**
    Remind me never to join LIJ:

438040.png
    Naito getting the snot kicked out of him by Jericho, and the two boys Sanada and Evil just chilling at ringside watching :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭SarahVOW

Voices of Wrestling NJPW 2017 Year in Review E-book.

https://payhip.com/b/ESc1

I know the lads who work on this, they put some serious work into it.

I downloaded from the kindle store, it looks great and is over 700 pages long. Its also available on PDF for whatever you're willing to pay.

Cards for The New Beginning Shows have been released.

I'll just paste my own post from the wrestling news thread here.

Per Dave Meltzer, Kenny Omega staying put with New Japan Pro Wrestling until January 2019.
    As far as Omega goes, on 1/9, he signed his new contract so it is official he’s with New Japan through January 31, 2019, so he won’t be in the Royal Rumble this year (or next year), or WrestleMania, which no doubt won’t keep people from speculating on his role in those shows daily

Excellent news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Interesting note from this weeks Observer about WK:
    What’s notable is also that outside of Japan, the U.S. was only the No. 6 market in terms of per capita interest, trailing the U.K., Ireland, Puerto Rico, Australia and Canada. Canada being No. 5 was also a surprise since with Winnipeg being where Jericho grew up and where Omega lives, Canada would have been expected to be No. 1. The most searched names, in order, were Jericho, Omega, Okada, Naito, Cody Rhodes, Marty Scurll, Will Ospreay and Masahito Kakihara. In the U.S., it was Omega and Jericho tied, followed by Okada, Naito, Cody, Scurll, Ospreay, Brandi Rhodes and Kakihara.

A slither of hope for a NJPW show in Ireland someday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Interesting note from this weeks Observer about WK:

I would of thought US would have been way ahead of Ireland, that cant be right can it.

I'd well believe it. Wrestling is bigger over here than the states percentage wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone interested in the current FantasticaMania tour? Doesn't seem like there's much buzz online. I got into CMLL via their Youtube page the last few months and have become a fan of Soberano Jr and Barbaro Cavernario (and Volador Jr obviously). I hope to see them have a good tour. Kawato is going to be competing with CMLL after the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Funnily enough I was walking around dame st area Monday afternoon on my lunch, and I saw two separate people in the space of maybe ten minutes walk past me wearing NJPW merch. Not that im using two random people wearing a hat and a t-shirt as a barometer for public demand but it just struck me as weird, be rare to come across someone wearing wrestling merch as it is, much less Japanese wrestling, even less so two seperate people wearing Japanese wrestling merch haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Funnily enough I was walking around dame st area Monday afternoon on my lunch, and I saw two separate people in the space of maybe ten minutes walk past me wearing NJPW merch. Not that im using two random people wearing a hat and a t-shirt as a barometer for public demand but it just struck me as weird, be rare to come across someone wearing wrestling merch as it is, much less Japanese wrestling, even less so two seperate people wearing Japanese wrestling merch haha.

Seconded. I see Bullet Club merch around town all the time. Our night for Wrestle Kingdom also drew more than the most recent SummerSlam and Survivor Series. Now the times, lack of need for days off work etc play into that, but it’s not insignificant either as a basic barometer for interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

US number is probably skewed by AXS having the event 2 days later. Having it on so late there means people didn't mind getting it spoiled & watching the tape delay.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Per Capita is the key I think. Easier to get known in a smaller country.

US won't have huge numbers subbing to a company called New Japan either (generalisation I know).

Suzuki and Tanahashi just had a Match of the year contender. Try and see it.

Suzuki and Tanahashi just had a Match of the year contender. Try and see it.

Brilliant! Didn't need to be flashy just told a great story. My NJPW world sub runs out in the next couple of days after subscribing for WK but no way I'm canceling it. Love it!

Omega and Jay White in the morning too.

Omega and Jay White in the morning too.

Omega is amazing obviously but don't know what to think of White? Feel he doesn't 100% believe in the gimmick or something. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Yeah, he's not good in that role. The gimmick is lame anyway, there's way too many of those metal edgelords in wrestling. Match has to be good though or he's screwed.

Well this morning's show was something else. Absolutely great. Excellent main event and a really great angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well this morning's show was something else. Absolutely great. Excellent main event and a really great angle.

The latter needed to be done.
    I need to catch up on these. I planned listening to the Post Wrestling preview of the show but I gave up after being reminded WH Park was the reason I stopped listening to them in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Great angle been coming a long time pulled it off brilliantly.

I still just dont get jay white at all yet.

Bullet Club: Civil War?
    Kenny & Kota Ibushi reunion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Bloody hell what a main event and the angle then! By far Jay's best match, I have it at ****1/2. The finish shocked me and Jay getting a clean pin on Omega is a huge statement from NJ that they are 100% behind Jay.

The show closing angle though was perfect! Kenny has totally outgrown the BC stuff and a reunion with Kota is going to do mega business in Japan. Let them get past the inevitable BC feud then put the tag belts on them while continuing to use them as singles main eventers.

I will say NJ has been noticeably more "sports entertainment" in recent months but they have the balance between mind blowing wrestling and SE stories perfect right now and long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

LeeJM wrote: »
    Bloody hell what a main event and the angle then! By far Jay's best match, I have it at ****1/2. The finish shocked me and Jay getting a clean pin on Omega is a huge statement from NJ that they are 100% behind Jay.

The show closing angle though was perfect! Kenny has totally outgrown the BC stuff and a reunion with Kota is going to do mega business in Japan. Let them get past the inevitable BC feud then put the tag belts on them while continuing to use them as singles main eventers.

I will say NJ has been noticeably more "sports entertainment" in recent months but they have the balance between mind blowing wrestling and SE stories perfect right now and long may it continue.

I wonder if jay was to wrestle kenny at the dome before Jericho match was set up as it all seems rushed from jay losing to tana then this morning

sky88 wrote: »
    I wonder if jay was to wrestle kenny at the dome before Jericho match was set up as it all seems rushed from jay losing to tana then this morning

No the plan up until late August/early September was Kenny vs Ibushi. Omega has said as much and I know other "in the know" people have said that also. I think the expectation was that Jay vs Tana would establish Jay as a threat to all of the top guys and then move onto the US Title like has happened. Unfortunately the Tana match at the Dome was average but this morning has definitely redeemed Jay in my eyes anyway.

I think we'll see Kenny vs Ibushii at the dome next year, with Ibushi winning as Kenny unfortunately finally goes to NXT to learn how to work.

I think we'll see Kenny vs Ibushii at the dome next year, with Ibushi winning as Kenny unfortunately finally goes to NXT to learn how to work.

When Kenny goes to WWE there is no way he goes to NXT. You know that but you couldn't resist having a shot at WWE

Ok, no more jokes allowed lads. Stop now.

If NJPW have any sense, they'll tie down Omega long term.

• Advertisement

Ok, no more jokes allowed lads. Stop now.

Jokes generally tend to be funny. Making stuff up and then moaning about it is not

Advertisement