Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

LeeJM wrote: »
    Jokes generally tend to be funny. Making stuff up and then moaning about it is not

Like you're doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ok, no more jokes allowed lads. Stop now.

Its just that you go and use the same digs at WWE all the time, its old. If you dont like WWE or what they do then thats fine, but for someone who constantly buries WWE you sure as hell keep watching. Youre beating a dead horse at this stage and derails the discussions.

You literally came in to this thread to have a go at me.

You literally came in to this thread to have a go at me.

I come in here to read the latest opinions on NJPW, not to see your latest dig at WWE.

Give it a rest will ya.

Any thoughts on it then?

• Advertisement

Kenny has made himself a star over the last 2 years and his value has only increased. to think he was once nothing more than a comedy act in most peoples eyes is crazy. Hes come so far sinec joining the Bullet Club but hes moving on at the right time for me. A reunion with Ibushi is a welcome change and Ibushi is being elevated now as a result. God Ibushi is just so good and his pairing with kenny at this stage will only benefit him. Im so glad he didnt sign with WWE when he had the chance after the CWC, it wouldnt have been the right move for him.

100% agree. Kenny tweeted that he didn't sign with WWE because he wanted to work with Ibushi this year. A whole year's build to the inevitible Tokyo Dome match at WK and probable farewell to Kenny then. It's perfect!

No the plan up until late August/early September was Kenny vs Ibushi. Omega has said as much and I know other "in the know" people have said that also. I think the expectation was that Jay vs Tana would establish Jay as a threat to all of the top guys and then move onto the US Title like has happened. Unfortunately the Tana match at the Dome was average but this morning has definitely redeemed Jay in my eyes anyway.

Jay did himself plenty of favours here and shows the company have faith in him, but I still dont like the gimmick. While I feel the booking is pushing him, the persona of Switchblade just doesnt suit him.

While I feel his in ring work is perfectly fine, its not top level yet but i do expect him to get there.

100% agree. Kenny tweeted that he didn't sign with WWE because he wanted to work with Ibushi this year. A whole year's build to the inevitible Tokyo Dome match at WK and probable farewell to Kenny then. It's perfect!

Kenny not going to WWE (if the offer was there), was also the right move. His value is sky high now and if he does move in 2019 then that may be the right time.

Only watch this if you have seen the big angle from Saturday.

• Advertisement

While I love Ibushi, I don’t think him and WWE would be a good fit. While hes most certainly an upper-mid card guy in my eyes, how he would translate to the WWEs main audience would be a risk. I think Nak had the charisma to make that transition and when hes bothered he can appeal to everyone with his personality and in ring work. Ibushi most likely wouldn’t be viewed as same way by WWE and rightly so. I can seem him having a harder time connecting with WWEs audience unless he stayed in NXT for a while.

Kenny could easily slot in on the main roster ala AJ Styles, but I wouldn’t say hes 100 percent certain to start on the main roster. Not that he needs NXT to hone his skills, but he may be sent there initially like Nak/ Joe.

If there was ever anyone to debut as a surprise at the Rumble and win it, it would be Omega next year.

If there was ever anyone to debut as a surprise at the Rumble and win it, it would be Omega next year.

Well your usually guarneteed an in-the-know crowd, felt it helped AJ appear as the big deal he is.

The last scene in that BTE episode is incredible. The lads know what they're doing, fair play to them. They deserve all their success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Jay did himself plenty of favours here and shows the company have faith in him, but I still dont like the gimmick. While I feel the booking is pushing him, the persona of Switchblade just doesnt suit him.

While I feel his in ring work is perfectly fine, its not top level yet but i do expect him to get there.

I'm not worried about the Switchblade stuff. Don't forget Kenny came in as "The Cleaner" and is still called that and look at how awkward Okada was early on during the "Rainmaker" stuff. Even EVIL is a great example of a guy growing into and evolving a gimmick to suit.

Jay can definitely go in the ring and so long as he delivers in ring he is going to be given time to grow and evolve Switchblade. Jay as US Champ heading into the March shows is an interesting direction and I get the feeling they are throwing to grow Jay into their next big Western star without the responsibility on him to draw houses.

I'm not worried about the Switchblade stuff. Don't forget Kenny came in as "The Cleaner" and is still called that and look at how awkward Okada was early on during the "Rainmaker" stuff. Even EVIL is a great example of a guy growing into and evolving a gimmick to suit.

Jay can definitely go in the ring and so long as he delivers in ring he is going to be given time to grow and evolve Switchblade. Jay as US Champ heading into the March shows is an interesting direction and I get the feeling they are throwing to grow Jay into their next big Western star without the responsibility on him to draw houses.

I think kenny did a better job as The Cleaner than Jay is doing currently, actually I loved The Cleaner.

I agree, once he deliver is Japan which I beleive he will, he will be grand. They are testing jay here and I dont know if he will be as big as Kenny. Time will tell and Im sure I will enjoy the ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

The gimmick is whatever, maybe it has more impact in Japan, he might grow into it. But honestly, I think Jay showed himself as a potential star against Kenny. I liked his ringwork and some of the spots they did were great, loved the shoulder up and reversing the OWA. Think he's going to be a big presence going forward, he's still only 25 as well. He'll grow into himself and the gimmick, it will evolve as he ages too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I used to be convinced Kenny would go to WWE in the next couple years, but I'm not sure I am anymore. I think he's still got a looooaaad he wants to do in NJPW, e.g. being IWGP Heavyweight Champion, making a success of that run, being the first gaijin to headline a WK and win. He tends to take that stuff more seriously than most.

Also it's for those kind of reasons that I'm not sure he'll be a success in WWE. It's not a talent thing, he's more than equipped to be a mega star, but more that he reminds me a bit of CM Punk in that he's got more invested in wrestling than just money. Lads who go to WWE and succeed are the type who want to setup their family for life and maximise their earnings in the best possible place to do so. If that's your goal, you'll take the day-to-day grind on the chin.

Kevin Owens is a great example of what I mean there, look at his 2017: got the Festival of Friendship and everything around it (which I'd say a lot of creative freedom came with), got told by Vince that his match at Mania sucked, after a year of great work as Universal Champion he kinda got lost in the shuffle on SmackDown instead of being skyrocketed, then got gifted an angle with Shane/Vince, then got sent home from a tour for reasons we still don't fully know, as for right now has his currency increased or decreased since October? It's tough to tell. You often don't know if you're coming or going with WWE and, when times aren't as good, you have to be able to grit your teeth and be happy with the bottom line and its effect on your family's lives to grind through it (because talent will always get another shot).

The likes of Punk and, I think, Omega tend to put a lot more of themselves into their projects. That's not a criticism but it may be a weakness. And when what you love and invest a significant portion of your entire being into doesn't go the way you thought it would in your head, it can be the worst thing you've ever experienced. Does Punk even like wrestling anymore? Do you think he watches NJPW and the indies and enjoys them? That's the risk you take with signing for WWE. It's not a surefire winner with Omega by any means. But I feel it's a risk he'll have to take someday, just to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Some nice matches coming down the tracks thanks to the split in Bullet Club, and the reunification of Ibushi/Omega.

The obvious one is Omega working Cody - a match that has been simmering since Dominion last year.

There's now also an immediate programme for Kenny or Ibushi to work singles matches against the second tier of BC - Marty, Hangman, etc., and shine them up a bit.

A tag match between the Bucks and Omega/Ibushi would be tremendous fun - total size mismatch, but they can get around that, you'd imagine.

And then you have the rest of BC - Fale, Yujiro, GoD, etc. They've largely stayed out of the BTE stuff, but you'd imagine they'll feature at some point in the arc over the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

my guess is the bucks/ ibushi omega headlines the all in show

• Advertisement

sky88 wrote: »
    my guess is the bucks/ ibushi omega headlines the all in show

I was thinking that, but that's a pretty huge match for new japan to allow happen outside of their ring, you'd think they'd go hard to get that on a new japan show. power struggle, maybe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I was thinking that, but that's a pretty huge match for new japan to allow happen outside of their ring, you'd think they'd go hard to get that on a new japan show. power struggle, maybe :D

I wonder how the All In show will be broadcast - will they try get their own PPV buys, or let NJPW broadcast it on their streaming service?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I wonder how the All In show will be broadcast - will they try get their own PPV buys, or let NJPW broadcast it on their streaming service?

ROH are supposed to be launching their own streaming service this year so maybe on that.

Neil3030 wrote: »

ROH streaming service probably, or a buy in ROH style iPPV?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The new NJPW LA Dojo opens this March.

03.jpg

Spoilers FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Im getting pretty sick of okadas reign but i think thats just what new japan wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

sky88 wrote: »
    Im getting pretty sick of okadas reign but i think thats just what new japan wants

Yep they are really making him an unbeatable unbearable pr*ck and when he is dethroned by Naito or Omega the whole crowd will be 100% behind the new champ.

Ospreay Hiromu was the best match on the show this morning. Will really is one of the absolute best in the world and I am intrigued by Ospreay vs Okada at the Anniversary show.

I don't mind him still having the belt as long as he's putting on fantastic matches, which he is. They're probably trying to make him look unbeatable and have the fans clamouring for a loss, then pull the trigger. Who on, I don't know. Hopefully Naito.

• Advertisement

I think Omega is taking the belt eventually. Their story is still far from finished, don’t think for a second it ended with them establishing Omega could now beat him and then dropping it altogether. It just would’ve been a carbon copy of the year before had Kenny won G1 again to challenge, plus Naito’s claim was more pressing so they went with that first.

I like Okada’s dominating reign. It’s how things often play out when there’s a transcendent talent in a sport and makes their eventually dethroning all the more sweeter. And, as stated, he’s able to pull it off with constant great matches. I’m actually dying for him vs Tanahashi again, whenever they do it, to either tie or break the record (it should be to break it).

Advertisement