Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

ciaran2054 wrote: »
    Now that the dust has settled - what’s the consensus on two day Wrestle Kingdom?

Given our low key NJPW has been for last 12 months I would have said go back to 1 day leading into it but then after you see the likes of Cobb having that amazing match, which might have only got 8 minutes on a one night show... it changed my view.

I say stick with two nights as long as you can book it right!

I'm torn honestly. I think they're splitting the double title this year with Ibushi mentioning that possibility in his promo recently. If that's the case and you've two hot programmes then great and it does away with the convoluted set up to get to the two double title matches on consecutive nights. It gives certain matches more time too. And most importantly for them, if it remains profitable then absolutely go for it.

On the flip side, while this year was great because with Covid they've stuck to a 6 match card with no filler, the year before that had filler multi man tags that belong on a Road To show, not Wrestle Kingdom, I definitely don't want that.

With Dragon Gate doing 2 nights of Kobe World this year maybe this is the trend honestly. From a fan perspective, if you've got enough hot programmes to pique my interest in back to back nights then I say yay.

Also when travel goes back to something like normal, I hope NJPW bring in Kyle Fletcher full time. The UK scene is all but dead, he's a guy NJPW were keen on not long ago, he's ready and the Empire would be an ideal landing spot for him.

The Open the Twin gate match was excellent. Loved the story they told and when it hit the finishing stretch it really did motor ****. Semi main preview of the Triangle Gate match tomorrow was also great and looking forward to seeing what plays out after that match after the continuing dissension between SBK and Yoshida ***3/4. Masquerade + Dragon Kid also had a really good match on the show. With the Tokyo curfew in effect, this clocked in at just under 2 hours, about the easiest wrestling show you'll see, really fun and glad that Jae was there on commentary.

Roll on tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

Nice show, I think that's my favorite BxB/KAI title defense yet, great main event, Jason Lee looked good in defeat too.

I loved Okuda just destroying Punch and leaving him in a heap, as he should. Looking forward to the Triangle Gate, tomorrow should be interesting!

The Masquerade/R.E.D 8-man tag was an absolute cracker, the best of DG on display. The Triangle Gate was good, that knee from Sakamoto to Kzy looked sick. Glad to see Yoshida get the boot, it's time for the younger crew to take over R.E.D. Was really enjoying DK/YAMATO too until the finish, seen a few suggesting that those two might form the core of a new unit soon, which I like the sound of.

And of course loved Punch getting sparked out by Okuda once again :D

• Advertisement

The Masquerade/R.E.D 8-man tag was an absolute cracker, the best of DG on display. The Triangle Gate was good, that knee from Sakamoto to Kzy looked sick. Glad to see Yoshida get the boot, it's time for the younger crew to take over R.E.D. Was really enjoying DK/YAMATO too until the finish, seen a few suggesting that those two might form the core of a new unit soon, which I like the sound of.

And of course loved Punch getting sparked out by Okuda once again :D

Punch never learns. The Yoshida R.E.D and then subsequent Mochizuki promo were great. Looks like we're getting a Mochizuki dojo return, Natural Vibes are here to stay (don't care what anyone says, I'm a mark for the dance routine) and Yamato and Dragon Kid look like they're forming a unit. Very noteworthy show with a great Masquerade 8 man tag, and very good main event too. SB Kento delivers everytime, that bump off the poisonrana was sick.

How could Natural Vibes reject Dragon Kid after that performance in the dance audition yesterday! Shocking decision after he pulled out the rowboat :D But Kamei and U-T are good additions to the group, some exciting potential teams within the unit now. There was talk of SBK being injured but seems like he's back for the next taped show on the 31st which is good.

How could Natural Vibes reject Dragon Kid after that performance in the dance audition yesterday! Shocking decision after he pulled out the rowboat :D But Kamei and U-T are good additions to the group, some exciting potential teams within the unit now. There was talk of SBK being injured but seems like he's back for the next taped show on the 31st which is good.

Really enjoyed that show. The audition was fantastic, tbf Dragon Kid's got some wonderful breakdance moves, just might not be much of an ensemble dancer! Nice additions to Natural Vibes, I can't stress enough I'm a huge mark for dancing and singing in my pro wrestling.

Also wanted to say, that Kzy/UT match was really good. Like you couldn't rate it any higher than ***1/2 at the very most but it was a 10 minute time limit draw that they packed story into, that was just so flawless in execution. I don't know why I'm going on so much about a throwaway singles match 2nd on the card but you could take that match, put it on any company's weekly TV show or tour and it would be considered solid as hell. Just a fun, tight match with 2 wrestlers who just get it.

Watched NJPW from Ota City Gymnasium.

The semi main NJPW elimination tag was fun, the match I'm most excited about on this tour is Shingo/Tanahashi that has the potential to be great. Went ***3/4 on this.

The main Jr Tag Title match did nothing for me. Heel heat spots galore, multiple ref bumps, loaded boots. It's just not for me. The work in between that was fine. I get it, Phantasmo is going to be all over the division this year as they elevate him to the top of the Junior division but it comes across as junior EVIL. **1/2

I watched today from Korakuen, wasn't a bad show, the main event was pretty good. And watching Naito be a pr*ck is always enjoyable.

Yeh Shingo/Tanahashi should be great, I hope that Shingo retains. Looking forward to Hiromu and SHO as well.

In fairness to Gedo he's keeping my interest post WK, I'm liking how under the radar good the mini-feud between the Empire and the OG's has been. There's a bit of heat there so the single matches should be good, particularly hoping to see O'Khan destroy Tenzan.

• Advertisement

I watched today from Korakuen, wasn't a bad show, the main event was pretty good. And watching Naito be a pr*ck is always enjoyable.

Yeh Shingo/Tanahashi should be great, I hope that Shingo retains. Looking forward to Hiromu and SHO as well.

In fairness to Gedo he's keeping my interest post WK, I'm liking how under the radar good the mini-feud between the Empire and the OG's has been. There's a bit of heat there so the single matches should be good, particularly hoping to see O'Khan destroy Tenzan.

Ye there's a bit more juice in this New Beginning tour than there was for a fair amount of NJPW post Covid. That main event from the 23rd was just relentlessly disappointing. But I am excited for some of the big singles matches on the tour and ultimately that's what matters.

It just ended but damn I'm all fired up. That's what I want in my pro wrestling. Tanahashi/Shingo was an epic. It's flirting with 5 stars, it might even be 5 stars. A 35 minute classic between 2 of legitimately the top 10 Pro wrestlers that I've seen in my lifetime.

Shingo's selling, and the different ways he can get across his emotions, his physical condition, that's what pro wrestling is, not a man talking you through a story for 25 minutes. His offence is incredible, when he hit that full speed pumping bomber it was like a bullet train crashing through Tanahashi. He's great, an all time great.

Given the O'Khan post match run in I feel Tana is not long for the NEVER Title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Has there been any update on NJPW's TV deal for this part of the world.

Yeh that main event was class,loved it. Tanahashi is some man to go for 44, he's undoubtedly one of the GOAT's, and I don't think it's a stretch to say that Shingo is the best wrestler in the world.

Think that was a good night for New Japan, I liked the O'Khan and Ospreay matches too, Koji and Tenzan were good first feuds for the Empire. O'Khan is great!

Has there been any update on NJPW's TV deal for this part of the world.

Meltzer says lower your expectations, it won't blow your socks off.

Love it, Mox most likely to lose seens the match is on Strong you would think. Wouldn't rule out a rematch somewhere else down the line though.....

Think this is a first time match too? Maybe Ambrose met Itami before, honestly have no clue but that wouldn't count anyways.

It also means KENTA is in the States for the long haul and he is a member of the current Bullet Club.

I wonder what the chances are that he will now appear on Dynamite to either join Kenny and The Good Brothers or to lay down a challenge between the factions of The Bullet Club and start a Japan vs America feud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭NITRO95

It also means KENTA is in the States for the long haul and he is a member of the current Bullet Club.

I wonder what the chances are that he will now appear on Dynamite to either join Kenny and The Good Brothers or to lay down a challenge between the factions of The Bullet Club and start a Japan vs America feud.

Means no such thing. This was likely taped at some point in December when they did the Super J Cup taping. Now KENTA could be back home in Florida but I don't think he'd be top of AEWs Bullet Club list.

If he's not involved in the IWGP title picture for 2021 I could see Okada making an AEW appearance considering how close he is with The Bucks

Thought the Jay White stuff was a work and it was. He returned to NJPW to attack Ishii. Really like that they turned him getting a month off into a story, and it worked, it felt hot. Now you're giving me White/Ishii? I say yes! And I'm glad he remains in NJPW, it's the best place for him, there's far more for him to do.

• Advertisement

Delighted Jay isn't going to WWE, it was never really in doubt but you never know! Would have been awful seeing him there.

Only caught the first of the two DG shows from over the weekend so far, nothing amazing, but we did get the very welcome return of Ben-K. Glad to see him back on his feet, injury mustn't have been too serious.

Delighted Jay isn't going to WWE, it was never really in doubt but you never know! Would have been awful seeing him there.

Only caught the first of the two DG shows from over the weekend so far, nothing amazing, but we did get the very welcome return of Ben-K. Glad to see him back on his feet, injury mustn't have been too serious.

I'll watch the 2nd show tonight but night 1 was solid, and I'm enjoying the tag tournament, I'll see how that plays out before giving takes.

Was wondering where Taketo Kamei was, just saw he injured his shoulder. DG has had a fair share of injuries lately, hopefully it's not too bad.

Really enjoyed the second show, sign me up for Ishida vs Shun, it's going to be so good. Love the Kick Boy, glad to see him moving up in Dream Gate contention. I was surprised that Ben was pinned by Yoshida in the main, him and Kondo were a nice team.

Dragon Kid busting out the rowboat again, he's some man!

Was wondering where Taketo Kamei was, just saw he injured his shoulder. DG has had a fair share of injuries lately, hopefully it's not too bad.

Really enjoyed the second show, sign me up for Ishida vs Shun, it's going to be so good. Love the Kick Boy, glad to see him moving up in Dream Gate contention. I was surprised that Ben was pinned by Yoshida in the main, him and Kondo were a nice team.

Dragon Kid busting out the rowboat again, he's some man!

That Kondo/Ben K team was so great! Would love to see them team up more in the future. My favourite matches from the 2nd show was that team against Eita/Diamanté and the main event was the MOTN.

Ishida/Shun should be a banger, just having him in and around the Dream Gate scene at this stage is an elevation by itself, Shun almost certainly retains but it's a good sign for Kaito.

Tony K on his paid ad on Impact say he is so enjoying wrestling right now and that is the reason he let Mox appear on Strong.

Now that is the 3 promotions linked in ongoing storylines.

KENTA Invades AEW.

The Bullet Club Unite.

Dave was right about Jay signing a long term contract.

https://twitter.com/JayWhiteNZ/status/1356298901821681664?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Dave was right about Jay signing a long term contract.

https://twitter.com/JayWhiteNZ/status/1356298901821681664?s=20

No, apparently the blue cap emoji is to mean one is lying these days - so Jay is effectively saying he lied in the interview.

So much for my take that he was tipping his hat to Dave.

Oh I'm too old to be learning emoji speech as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

No, apparently the blue cap emoji is to mean one is lying these days - so Jay is effectively saying he lied in the interview.

I didn't know this, so is it a bit like Morpheus in The Matrix when he presents Neo with the red and blue pills respectively.

Red Cap = Truth
    Blue Cap = Lies

Advertisement