Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Puroresu (Japanese Wrestling) thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭BohsJohnny

Is it true Devitt is facing Tanahashi for the title in March?

Yep they are don't know yet if it will be tv or just at a house show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Haven't heard of it being officially but he did pin him recently so it would make sense. Its a big big deal if it is happening. Its almost unheard if for New Japan to have a junior to be booked as a heavyweight challenger. The two weight classes kept very separate in terms of singles matches. Massive honour and vote of confidence in the Irishman (again, if true).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It would be great to see. I heard Devitt pinned Tanahashi recently but I didn't see the match. I saw him team with Tanahashi in a 6 man against Okada in one of the Fantastica Mania shows with the CMLL guys. It was very enjoyable. Devitt looks in great form at the moment.

It would be great to see. I heard Devitt pinned Tanahashi recently but I didn't see the match. I saw him team with Tanahashi in a 6 man against Okada in one of the Fantastica Mania shows with the CMLL guys. It was very enjoyable. Devitt looks in great form at the moment.
    Here you go very good match

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxdvhl_hiroshi-tanahashi-ryusuke-taguchi-vs-karl-anderson-prince-devitt-njpw_sport#.UR1UHaCy5Gg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I can't see anybody in the world touching Tanahashi's body of work again this year.

• Advertisement

Just looked through the observer again and this is from Meltzer.
    Tanahashi will defend the title against junior heavyweight champion Prince Devitt, based on Devitt pinning Tanahashi using his bloody Sunday DDT in a tag team match (Tanahashi & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Anderson & Devitt) on 2/3 at Korakuen Hall.

this should be on the 3rd of march.

Edit. here is the next card should be online about a week after the event
    NJPW "ANNIVERSARY SHOW", 03.03.2013 (Samurai! TV)
    Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. Hiromu Takahashi & Takaaki Watanabe vs. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka
    2. Yuji Nagata, Wataru Inoue, Super Strong Machine & Captain New Japan vs. Hirooki Goto, Karl Anderson, Tama Tonga & Ryusuke Taguchi
    3. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title: Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA (c) vs. Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask
    4. Togi Makabe, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Manabu Nakanishi vs. Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka, Yujiro Takahashi & YOSHI-HASHI
    5. Elimination Match: Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii, Gedo & Jado vs. Minoru Suzuki, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Kengo Mashimo & TAKA Michinoku
    6. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Lance Archer
    7. Special Singles Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Prince Devitt

Their match is non-title but the stip is if Tanahashi loses he has to forfeit the title.

Tanahashi vs Devitt is up haven't watched it yet but have heard it was very good.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2iitn_Jahmale_Hepburn_njpw-3-3-13/1#video=xxxmyb

These shows are getting put up a lot faster now which is great here is the new japan cup.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2j2o0_SenorLARIATO_njpw-03-11-13-nj-cup-round-1/1#video=xy5hmc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

BohsJohnny wrote: »
    Tanahashi vs Devitt is up haven't watched it yet but have heard it was very good.

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/x2iitn_Jahmale_Hepburn_njpw-3-3-13/1#video=xxxmyb

Finally will watch that between study on Paddy's weekend. Devitt just tweeted this:

BFMkSnhCQAAFU3q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched the Devitt/Tanahashi match a few days ago and enjoyed it. I heard some people saying they were underwhelmed by it but for the time it got I thought it was good. It was interesting to me how much support Devitt got in the match. I liked how every time the 'Let's go Devitt' chants would kick in the Tanahashi fans would drown it out by chanting his name.

The Nakamura/Archer match got criticism and I would agree that this one was disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Chazraps from Freakin' Awesome Network directed me towards to this one:

IVP are offering a free DVD download. It's a Puro sampler.

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=9192
    Dynamite Kid vs. Tiger Mask

Big Van Vader vs. Stan Hansen

The Great Muta -vs- Hulk Hogan

Black Tiger (Eddy Guerrero) vs. Jushin Lyger

Chris Hero & Claudio Castagnoli vs. Morishima & Yone

Kenta Kobashi, Mitsuharu Misawa, and Jun Akiyama vs. Steve Williams, Big Bubba, and Richard Slinger

Jun Kasai & Jaki Numazawa vs. Takashi Sasaki & Yuko Miyamoto vs. Ryuji Ito & Abdullah Kobayashi -

Fluorescent Light Tube Death Match

Aja Kong & Bull Nakano vs Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada

American Dragon & James Gibson vs. Jado & Gedo

Prince Devitt vs. Kota Ibushi

Fairly essential watch from a character perspective. Prince Devitt strongly foreshadows a heel turn here:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xy5j1s_05-tanahashi-time-splitters-vs-apollo-55-captain-new-japan-njpw-03-11-13_sport?search_algo=2#.UUugwhyeOSp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Great little chain wrestling exchange between Shelley and Devitt aswell. I'd love to see them do a big singles match.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Are there any short podcasts reviewing what's going on in NJPW? Not a fan of the law Japanese correspondents with audio quality straight from the moon landing

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Are there any short podcasts reviewing what's going on in NJPW? Not a fan of the law Japanese correspondents with audio quality straight from the moon landing

Alan4L just started (as in today) a new podcast series covering Japan behind the Observer paywall. The first episode blew even my high expectations away.

PWPonderings sometimes does a podcast too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ouch!

m.gif

Really enjoyed that match just about to watch the rest of the card can't forget Devitt getting bloody.

4-6-2013+2-07-44+PM.jpg

Posting a match link would be helpful:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xyrxwd

• Advertisement

If you didn't order this you should buy the replay just really good from top to bottom
    Devitt finally turning heel on Taguchi,the tag was good until Sakuraba's injury,Nakamura/Smith was very good ****1/4 imo and the main was out of this world but that's was no surprise it's scary how good Okada is at only 25 a amazing wrestler.

The next ppv is coming together very well some great looking matches it on the third of may
    Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki for IWGP
    heavyweight title
    Shinsuke Nakamura vs. ? for IC title
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Karl Anderson
    Hirooki Goto vs. Katsuyori Shibata
    Masato Tanaka vs. Tomoaki Honma for NEVER
    championship
    4 way for IWGP tag team titles (no teams
    announced)
    Captain New Japan & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Prince
    Devitt & King Fale
    Alex Shelley & Kushida vs. Rocky Romero & Alex
    Koslov for IWGP jr. title
    Tiger Mask & Maximo & Jushin Liger & Yuji Nagata
    vs. Gedo & Jado & Tomohiro Ishii & Yoshi-Hashi

Saw this in the new observer
    Kazuchika Okada has recently bought a new home, a new car, and furniture spending $100,000 in cash and is now broke and is selling his memorabilia including his Money in the Bank briefcase and his IWGP title ring.

Living the gimmick well and truly here.

I'd love to know what the Japanese fans make of Devitt getting on the mic and and mouthing off in English with the Irish accent.

I loved it myself, reminds me of the sort of stuff HBK then Edge or Jericho used to get up too.

Just finished this http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xzcllg_07-chaos-vs-suzuki-gun-8-man-elimination-tag-njpw-04-21-13_sport#.UXshJEqQvgc a very fun 8 man from the recent New Japan show including a great spot for Ishii which looks to me like they are giving him a big push after the next ppv.

Shelton X Benjamin really impressed me wrestling Nakamura on Friday's New Japan. Looks like he waits every ten years to have a great singles match. :P

If it was biologically possible I would have Prince Devitt's children at this stage between his ring jacket and his brand new faction The Bullet Club.

news_9478.jpg

Left to Right: Tama Tonga, Karl Anderson, Prince Devitt and Bad Luck Fale,

Kobashi's last match

And for people who want to get to know why he was so special i found these two great long videos.

His entire 735 day GHC title run

And every match he was either challenging for the triple crown or defending it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

Didn't know they could make YouTube vids that long!

Apparently every cinema in the Tokyo region was sold out for his last match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

That's the first time I've seen the higher Youtube limit utilized for something other than extrapolating an already tired meme.

Anyways, fantastic post. Thank you so much.

Advertisement