Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with a solution

• 19-07-2009 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

Just recently been doing some revision of the early chapters of my economics textbooks and I cam across a problem that I couldn't find the correct solution for. I must be missing a trick somewhere cause the question looks easy enough and its just simple algebra, so if someone could shed light on this, I'd appreciate it. :o

Question:

In the following macroeconomic model, the unknowns are Y (national income), C (consumption) and T (tax collection):

Y = C + I + G

C = 2 + 0.8(Y-T)

T = 1 + 0.2Y

I (investment) and G (gov exp) are assumed to be known. Find Y, C and T in terms of I and G.

Seems easy enough, but I can't arrive at the numbers for in the solution provided below:
    Substitute the expression for T into that for C and the resulting expression for C into that for Y . Solving the resulting equation for Y gives:

Y = 3.33 + 2.78(I + G), C = 3.33 + 1.78(I + G), T = 1.67 + 0.56(I + G)

I know its gonna be something stupid I'm forgetting. Put me out of my misery.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Pfft, noob :pac:

[latex]C = 2 + 0.8(Y-T)[/latex]
    [latex]T = 1 + 0.2Y \\[/latex]
    [latex]\Rightarrow C = 2 + 0.8[Y - (1 + 0.2Y)] \\[/latex]
    [latex]C = 2 + 0.64Y - 0.8\\[/latex]
    [latex]C = 1.2 + 0.64Y \\[/latex]

[latex]Y = C + I + G \\[/latex]
    [latex]Y = 1.2 + 0.64Y + I + G \\[/latex]
    [latex](1-0.64)Y = 1.2 + I + G\\ [/latex]
    [latex]Y = 3.3 + 2.78(I + G)[/latex]

Don't bother your arse revising if it's for a masters, enjoy your time off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Oh FFS...

I forgot about the Y on the left (on the second line of the second section there)... d'oh!

Yeah, I was thinking the same but I clearly need to get my mind into maths mode again, I have gotten rusty!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Time off? Someone needs to up their nerd game :D. If you have the Simon-Blume book, that would be good to look over, again.

The book I am working through is Mathematics For Economists by Pemberton & Rau. Although no book teaches you how not to be sloppy and complacent. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Economists-Malcolm-Pemberton/dp/0719033411

Simon-Blume

Nyom. I bought that copy a year ago and it came to €16. A lot better value than the typical €43 price you'll usually find.

I'm very much of the opinion that summertime is for reading those books you've wanted to get around to. Don't bother yer hole studying imho. Go read some Kant or something. Or Antoin Murphy's new book, if you haven't already.

But if you do want to study, go over simple calculus. You don't want to be stuck trying to remember what the first derivative of a log is.

• Advertisement

Nyom. I bought that copy a year ago and it came to €16. A lot better value than the typical €43 price you'll usually find.

I'm very much of the opinion that summertime is for reading those books you've wanted to get around to. Don't bother yer hole studying imho. Go read some Kant or something. Or Antoin Murphy's new book, if you haven't already.

But if you do want to study, go over simple calculus. You don't want to be stuck trying to remember what the first derivative of a log is.

Ah, I read my pleasure books too. The way I see it, I am doing cognitive keepy-uppy's. Although I'm spilling the ball quite a bit, atm.

;)

Ah, I read my pleasure books too. The way I see it, I am doing cognitive keepy-uppy's. Although I'm spilling the ball quite a bit, atm.

;)

While we're on the topic, if you have a few quid to spare I think you'd do well to snap up the previous edition of Verbeek for €10.

Old edition, but the matrix derivation of OLS and tests for heteroskedasticity haven't changed all that much over the past three years or so.

Advertisement