Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building an Arcade Cabinet

Options
  • 19-07-2009 6:42pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭

...from scratch. Building the shell, deciding on the hardware basically. Its going to be mainly MAME on it. But I think some other games like SFIV may be put on it too, we'll see.

Basically.... need a small (mATX probably) build, thats cheap. Wont need a chassis, just the other bits. Just looking for recommendations. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Well, I first thought...

Kom190709.png

... But MAME's FAQs contradict themselves. AFAIK none of the rendering is done in hardware so why would you need a graphics card? The only component of note is a decent CPU as it has a lot of things to do and MAME isn't well-threaded so you have to do almost everything with the one core, so it needs to be fast and wide. Ergo a C2D. I assume you already have a CRT monitor lined up for this project? If you wanted to go TFT then you would need a graphics card and even then the image quality would suffer if MAME's resolution isn't a factor of the TFT's native resolution.

Also, do you have an external DVD or another method of getting stuff on and off this build? Or would you need a new DVD burner? And would it be an internal or external?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

no im getting a TFT mounted from the inside. got an xarcade ordered and going to open it up and mount the buttons onto the cabinet.

yeah was reading that but as I mentioned, I MIGHT put street fighter IV onto the system too.

EDIT: Yeah will be sticking in a DVD drive that can be accessed from the back. no re-writers or anything, dont intend on using it too much bar installation and stuff

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I MIGHT put street fighter IV onto the system too.

If you want to put modern games on let alone a brand-spanking new title then that's a whole new kettle o' fish :o
    got an xarcade ordered and going to open it up and mount the buttons onto the cabinet.

Thought you'd have the joystick bit covered :)
    Yeah will be sticking in a DVD drive that can be accessed from the back. no re-writers or anything, dont intend on using it too much bar installation and stuff

Thought that'd be the gig, didn't know if you already had one or intended on hooking up external drives to load stuff on...

Regarding kettles of fish...

HWVS190709a.png

Might end up cheaper getting the stuff from HWVS at this point...

And I put in PC8500 RAM in case you crank up the FSB a little ;) No cheap low-latency PC6400 around anyways...

Advertisement