Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XGC Meet Up Name Discussion

• 19-07-2009 6:51pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Just thinking guys we need a name for our events that we are hosting at XGC.

You guys have any idea's?

If so lets here them here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

John Fashanu

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

What not HEGA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Super Irish Fighting Gamers Ultimate Championship II: Special Tournament Edition MAX
    aka
    SIFGUCIISTEM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Super Irish Fighting Gamers Ultimate Championship II: Special Tournament Edition MAX
    aka
    SIFGUCIISTEM

I second that,SIFGUCIISTEM just rolls off the tongue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Street Fighter 4 Deluxe Hungry, Hungry Hippo Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

how did the one go today?
    ish vas hungover :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Irish rEVOlution :p

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Airisshu Suiken (trans: Irish Drunken Fist)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Lariat Appreciators Ireland Republic.

L.A.I.R.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Lariat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Boards.ie Irish Super Occasion of National Game Action Yeah!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Tournament of DooM comes to mind.

(In all seriousness, we have to be careful not to call it anything offishul boardsy unless we arsk the special people.)

Creature wrote: »
    Boards.ie Irish Super Occasion of National Game Action Yeah!

I think you meant Boards.ie Irish Super Occasion of National With Instant Ninja Surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

How about "Street Fighter Sucks Cuz Leprekaun Doesn't Win" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mr_kyle

XGC Dublin Ranking Battles :pac:

Yeh that makes sense....but should we include XGC in the title? I mean, its not free and stuff.

We have guys coming from all over the country, so how about the All Ireland Street Fighter championship? I'm not a GAA fan or anything, but it has a nice ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

No reason to put XGC in the name imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

FCI - Fighting Championship of Ireland
    BOI - Brawlers of Ireland (not the bank :D)
    NSA - No Scrubs Allowed

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    No reason to put XGC in the name imo.

I think because it is both the venue and the business of the owners that let it happen on their premises is reason enough.

• Advertisement

Yes but, we are paying for it. Its not free. So on the off chance this takes off and becomes a permanent fixture, its free advertising. Its not a big issue but the point is there. I mean, have we gotten any discount? I know somebody mentioned that last time and was going to ask but I don't know if anything came out of it.

And no Three Letter Acronyms please. TLA's are confusing. :D :pActual names are good.... people can tell what it is without having to ask what the acronym means.

Yeah as far as I see it, we're paying for their service and that's it - no need to give them free advertising. It's not like we're bound to the place in any way, and if a different venue was found where we could use PCs instead I'd wager we'd be going there instead.

Boards.ie Dublin Ranking Battles? Seems the next most obvious choice. Might be some sort of issue with using Boards.ie though.

As posted on the previous page we can't use the boards name without permission from the admins.

Street Fighter 4 Irish Tourney or SFIT for short. :D.

Or just SF4 Boards tourney. Not using the .ie so we arent getting anybody into trouble so I cant see an issue with that.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    As posted on the previous page we can't use the boards name without permission from the admins.

I missed that (obviously) =/, its well late early however. Well if you won't call it by the venue the event is run in, and you can't call it by where/how it is organised then I simply suggest Dublin Ranking Battles. At least that covers all the bases of where the event is likey to be held for the foreseeable future.

Yeah that works imo, as long as we're actually holding Ranking Battles. :pac:

Bit silly calling it a tourney when this encompasses casuals too Kirby

Well we dont really need to "name" the casual meet ups do we? It takes hardly any effort to organise and set up. The tourneys are a big deal with lots of time put in so i assumed thats what the name would be for.

But we could call the casual that too....just do some free tourneys or winner stays on every week etc under the same name. I like Dublin ranking battle but we have lots of players, including myself, coming from outside dublin so I think ireland would be better. After all, its not like there are 30 people showing up for tournements with cameras every few weeks anywhere else.

Kirby wrote: »
    Well we dont really need to "name" the casual meet ups do we? It takes hardly any effort to organise and set up. The tourneys are a big deal with lots of time put in so i assumed thats what the name would be for.

Quoted for truth!
    Kirby wrote: »
    But we could call the casual that too....just do some free tourneys or winner stays on every week etc under the same name. I like Dublin ranking battle but we have lots of players, including myself, coming from outside dublin so I think ireland would be better. After all, its not like there are 30 people showing up for tournements with cameras every few weeks anywhere else.

There is an issue with Ireland Ranking Battle - that name equally applies to the Belfast tournaments as well. We have had people from Manchester and Newcastle over. But I do not name the event UK ranking battle, because thats what the guys at Neo Empire do.

• Advertisement

I think Dublin Ranking Battles should cover it.Yeah,around half of us are not from Dublin but that's where it is so it makes sense.

mr_kyle wrote: »
    We have had people from Manchester and Newcastle over. But I do not name the event UK ranking battle, because thats what the guys at Neo Empire do.

I suppose thats a good point. Calling it Dublin because its where its held is also a good point.

Should we put that name to a vote? I like it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'd avoid using the boards.ie name for another reason - it's not just limited to boardsies. If you include it, people may feel that it's just for that group. And some of the NeoEmpire guys use their own thread to register...

You COULD use the XGC name if they were to give ye perks for that usage - cheaper / free consoles, other supplies, etc. Ye've given them a fair bit of business so far and I can only imagine that increasing. Only problem is then if ye decide to host it somewhere else (depending on contracts...well, just in case :D)

Dublin Ranking Battles is nice and simple. Once people cop that it's for anyone who shows up rather than just Dubs.....

🤪

slow day in work... here are some sigs you could use as a logo for whatever name you choose.

EDIT: Why not call it RoI Ranking Battles? In case it ever moves outside of Dublin.

85499.gif

85500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ah, but we have the lads from Belfast coming down to show us how to play properly, so that wouldn't work fully now.

Also, putting Ken in a logo is possibly a violation of copyright.

Ah, but we have the lads from Belfast coming down to show us how to play properly, so that wouldn't work fully now.

Also, putting Ken in a logo is possibly a violation of copyright.

As long as no one is making money off it, I don't think it'd be an issue.

I'll knock together a b/w drawing if we need a mascot... wouldn't be the first time:

picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=341

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd prefer Dan in the logo.

I'd prefer Retr0gamer as Sakura in the logo! :pac:

Azza wrote: »
    I'd prefer Retr0gamer as Sakura in the logo! :pac:

I'd prefer if you never reminded me of that again...

Yeah but I thought we where naming it based on it's hosted location. So a logo with the colours of that location would be the same thing. All of the official "National" US sports feature a logo with the colours of the American flag in it, regardless of the nationality of the players that participate in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Dan giving his thumbs up, wearing a green and orange suit with a white belt... that would be awesome!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

blag wrote: »
    I think you meant Boards.ie Irish Super Occasion of National With Instant Ninja Surprise

At least mine makes sense!

Sagat06 wrote: »
    Dan giving his thumbs up, wearing a green and orange suit with a white belt... that would be awesome!!

85509.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Sagat06

^ It really is a thing of beauty :D

Nice thats the logo pic taken care of. The name is still up for discussion.

And Creature, Blags name made perfect sense. You got owned you no showing noob!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Republic of Ireland ranking battles.

Or simply Street Fighter IV ranking battles.

Boards.ie or XGC are no nos, partly because of copyright but more so because it has nothing to do with them

Dublin is a bit narrow, plenty of us aren't dubs...and its not like there are other ones going on.

To have a proper name you'd need a proper website imo.

Or you could hook up with neo empire and try be their ROI wing...

also avoid flags for logos.... A name or word logo is much more desirable
    like evo's which is very simple.
    http://evo2k.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Republic of Ireland ranking battles.

This make the most sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Or to simplify it more, how about just Eire Ranking Battles or how about Phog ma thon ranking battles :P

Hi guys,

Could you please continue this discussion here. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement