Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players who will flop/fade in the 09/10 PL season...

• 19-07-2009 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭

We have a thread on players to watch out for in the Premier League, so how about this one? Any predictions on a big signing that will flop, or an established big-name player who will lose their place?

(Hoping in advance this doesn't turn into solely a Man City/Tevez/Adebayor bashing thread...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

population wrote: »
    Owen

Hope you're right...

I have my doubts though, I still think he has a bit to offer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

All United's, Liverpool and Arsenal's best player's i hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I have a gut feeling villa's petrov is going to fade this year.
    Delap as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Man City

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure Giggs won't win Player of the Season next year anyway. But it will be interesting to see how much a role him Scholes and Gary Neville play in the team next year...

Wouldn't be too surprised to see Neville being pretty much a non-entity by the end of the year.

Another situation that it will be interesting to see develop is the Carra/Agger/Skrtel situation in Liverpool. Injuries, suspensions and the amount of games Liverpool play will possibly give them enough games to keep them all happy, but Carra looked a little bit shaky and it's only a matter of time before Skrtel and Agger make the CB spots their own. Not sure if that will be this season though, possibly a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Glen Johnson......he will use the same excuse as David James---video games!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭babel2

Adebayor-overrated
    Tevez-energetic but never really produces anything
    Drogba-also overrated
    Glen Johnson-had one good seasn=not consistent=flop

I'm a Liverpool fan so it's probably obvious that I'd come out with this, but have to say I disagree with the Glen Johnson prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Stephen Ireland may struggle to recreate his form in a new look City side.

• Advertisement

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm a Liverpool fan so it's probably obvious that I'd come out with this, but have to say I disagree with the Glen Johnson prediction.

you hardly agree that he was worth 17-18m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tevez :)

Seriously, I think its possible he'll end up not playing enough games and replicate the form he showed for United last year.

babel2 wrote: »
    Adebayor-overrated
    Tevez-energetic but never really produces anything
    Drogba-also overrated
    Glen Johnson-had one good seasn=not consistent=flop
    Drogba overrated? lol sir, lol.

you hardly agree that he was worth 17-18m?

No, but I hardly agree with any of the prices in football today. In the current market in fact 18m is what you would expect to pay.

United signed Carrick for a similar fee a few years ago which at the time seemed ridiculously inflated. Many people (myself included) ridiculed this transfer. And United fans will tell what a difference he made to their side. He was pretty much their only signing that summer as far as I remember, and United went from 3rd to 1st. Obviously there were a huge amount of other factors that played into this (Ronaldo blossoming etc...), but Carrick did improve the team.

Likewise I think Johnson will improve the team. There are very few good right-fulls around.

The fact is you have to overspend to achieve success I feel. Arsenal are about the only recent side I can think of that would prove the exception to this rule.

Do I think we overspent on Johnson? When not taking into account a lot of the crazy spending this summer, then I would have to say yes.

Am I glad we overspent on him? Most definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Carragher, Adebayor, Owen and Berbsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Van Der Sar

No, but I hardly agree with any of the prices in football today. In the current market in fact 18m is what you would expect to pay.

United signed Carrick for a similar fee a few years ago which at the time seemed ridiculously inflated. Many people (myself included) ridiculed this transfer. And United fans will tell what a difference he made to their side. He was pretty much their only signing that summer as far as I remember, and United went from 3rd to 1st. Obviously there were a huge amount of other factors that played into this (Ronaldo blossoming etc...), but Carrick did improve the team.

Likewise I think Johnson will improve the team. There are very few good right-fulls around.

The fact is you have to overspend to achieve success I feel. Arsenal are about the only recent side I can think of that would prove the exception to this rule.

Do I think we overspent on Johnson? When not taking into account a lot of the crazy spending this summer, then I would have to say yes.

Am I glad we overspent on him? Most definitely.

i agree with almost everything you said. Carrick's transfer fee was over-priced an he did make a difference, however, he plays in the vital centre midfield role. Of course he is going to have a major part to play in their success if the ball will mostly go through him,scholes or anderson.
    But saying that Johnson will have a similar effect for Liverpool from his right-back position is quite laughable.
    18m is hat you expect to pay for a midfielder, not for a right back which max is 11m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Malouda who was great for the 2nd part of last season will struggle with new management and Zhirkov fighting for his place.

I think Nani will be having his last ever Man Utd season.

Carragher to continue his decline.

Ashley Young to have a poor season. No reason, just having a guess for a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Tevez, Adebayor, S. Ireland, Glen Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Adebayor and Ireland .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Hmm...

I've a gut feeling Owen will fade away after a while, but not without a goal here and there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,461 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Hmm...

I've a gut feeling Owen will fade away after a while, but not without a goal here and there.

sure with all the stuff people have said about him over the last two years, he can only improve his image/reputation at this point, surely?

If he doesn't have any sort of impact people will say it is what was expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Gerrard
    Carrick
    Nasri
    Mikel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Gareth Barry
    Nemanja Vidic
    Kenwyn Jones
    Kevin Doyle
    Robbie Keane
    Antonio Valencia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Why do people think Ireland will fade? Has he not been getting consistently better? Why would he get worse now, is it because he will have more talented players to play with?

deisedevil wrote: »
    Why do people think Ireland will fade? Has he not been getting consistently better? Why would he get worse now, is it because he will have more talented players to play with?

Because he'll be playing in a largely new team. Largely new front 6 anyway. Might make things difficult for him.

Also he could just have had one good season and revert back to being average. Happened to plenty of players in the past.

Personally I think Ireland will maintain his form from last year, and if City start to gel he could even kick on.

Some very bold predictions being made... Gerrard, Torres? :eek::confused:

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Jack Rodwell
    Christian Benitez
    Ebanks Blake
    Kightly
    Berbatov
    Palacios
    Torres
    Eduardo
    Alex
    Tomkins
    Eagles
    Collison
    Robinho

In fact I would disagree with a huge amount of players on this list

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Jack Rodwell
    Christian Benitez
    Ebanks Blake
    Kightly
    Berbatov
    Palacios
    Torres
    Eduardo
    Alex
    Tomkins
    Eagles
    Collison
    Robinho

Yet your FF team is

Sorensen
    Hart

Faye
    Zhirkov
    Warnock
    Foley
    Cahill

Gerrard
    Arshavin
    Kuyt
    Kightly
    Jimenez

Ebanks-Blake
    Benitez
    Torres

:confused:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Eduardo
    Cattermole
    Kenwyne Jones
    Voronin
    Caicedo
    Nani
    Di Michele
    Elano
    Nasri
    Adebayor
    Obertan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

In fact I would disagree with a huge amount of players on this list

and i mistakenly misread the title of this thread

that is actually my list of players to be a success.

how much of an epic fail was my first post in the football forum eh?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ha ha welcome on board!

and i mistakenly misread the title of this thread

that is actually my list of players to be a success.

how much of an epic fail was my first post in the football forum eh?? :D
    Nice save :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Terry
    Agbonglahor
    Scotland

I think Eduardo would have to be fairly awful next season to be considered a flop. Afterall, his foot was hanging off his leg 18 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

18m is hat you expect to pay for a midfielder, not for a right back which max is 11m.

bosingwa cost 17m, daniel alves upwards of 31m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I think Adebayor and Santa Cruz deals wont work out too good at Man City.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I can't understand how so many people can be saying Stephen Ireland will struggle because of the new signings?

they will only make his life easier by taking up better positions and giving him more options. Ireland is, IMHO, still City's most important player, if anything he will move on leaps and bounds and establish himself as one of the best midfeilders in Europe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeh I don't think Ireland will be flopping. He's not a player to have many poor games. In fact I think the recent Man Utd game when Fletcher man marked him was the only time I've seen him mess up. If Man City are on form Ireland will definitely be on form. Last season he was even playing well when City were poor.

Advertisement