Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Chainsaw

• 19-07-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I've got a Jonsered 2150 saw which is plenty powerful, but a tad heavy for lopping branches and blocking light timber. A guy who works with me recently purchased a Husky 435 with a 15" bar on it, and I'm kind of thinking that it would be a good saw to have for lighter tidy work. It seems to be lighter and point a helluva a lot easier than the Jonsered. I'd put a 13" bar on the Husky though. The husky can be had for €450. Does anybody have any opinions??

Regards

Jonty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

If you're buying a saw, buy it in the USA, there about half the price. Do you know anyone over there. Just get them to buy it and send it over.;)

I have an 'MS250 Stihl' myself, lovely saw, not too big - not too small. Ideal for around the farm. I know someone who bought a 'MS390 Stihl' recently, a bit on the big & heavy side.

Sorry - you're a forestry guy, ain't ya. Thought you were a farmer. Still it might be of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

And the exact same saw as well. My Husky (Irish bought) burn't out a few years ago and I managed to get the parts from the US as well.

The only small problem with bringing a saw in from the USA is obviously it won't have a 'CE' mark on it. So if you were to use it commercially and someone had an accident there could be questions.

pakalasa wrote: »
    If you're buying a saw, buy it in the USA, there about half the price. Do you know anyone over there. Just get them to buy it and send it over.;)

I have an 'MS250 Stihl' myself, lovely saw, not too big - not too small. Ideal for around the farm. I know someone who bought a 'MS390 Stihl' recently, a bit on the big & heavy side.

Sorry - you're a forestry guy, ain't ya. Thought you were a farmer. Still it might be of some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am a husky man myself, but have had some occassion to use a Stihl MS180 and for the money they are fine and very light saw.
    I think they are now MS181 which are a strato design, not sure how they hold up as they are a new design but the older ones can still be found at good prices especially in the UK.
    I have seen them for around 160 stg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Thanks Lads, I'll have a look at the Stihl. I'm a farmer so no I'm not professional forrester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tools/939888
    seems cheap..if they are even legit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Looks like and American import. Ask to see if it has a CE mark. If it doesn't it's a non EU import. No problem there, but if you loan it our or have a accident while on hire you may have insurance problems.

If it's for your own use, then fire away.
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/tools/939888
    seems cheap..if they are even legit

I'd stay away from those 240 series Huskies they are not a great saw, set VERY lean from the factory easy to sieze them.
    They are the lowest of the Husky range and a little bit more money would make a big difference, the 340 or 435/440 would be a much better saw.
    The UK has about the best prices for saws around Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

Be carefull buying a husky from the u.s there are copys available look the same as a husky but their a chinese copy. Last a week it seems. Get a price on an oleo-mac good saw for farm work . You need to get a 50 to 60 cc saw anything smaller not much good all depends what your cutting of coarse.:rolleyes:

scaniaman wrote: »
    Be carefull buying a husky from the u.s there are copys available look the same as a husky but their a chinese copy. Last a week it seems. Get a price on an oleo-mac good saw for farm work . You need to get a 50 to 60 cc saw anything smaller not much good all depends what your cutting of coarse.:rolleyes:

OP has a 2150 Jonny red, he wants a lighter saw.

You are correct on the Oleomac though, I have a 952 and it is a good saw.

Oleomacs are not for me. My dad used to sell them years ago, and hadn't much time for them then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 scaniaman

A friend of mine has a husky i think its around 40 cc light but useless.
    Don't husky own jonsered now!

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I'd stay away from those 240 series Huskies they are not a great saw, set VERY lean from the factory easy to sieze them.
    They are the lowest of the Husky range and a little bit more money would make a big difference, the 340 or 435/440 would be a much better saw.
    The UK has about the best prices for saws around Europe.

Yeah, the 2 series are really for chippies at rooves. 4 X 2 is all they are fit for.

You are correct Scaniaman

scaniaman wrote: »
    A friend of mine has a husky i think its around 40 cc light but useless.
    Don't husky own jonsered now!

Electrolux bought a lot of saw makers back a while ago, Partner, Jonsered and Husky as well as Dimas and Target were all owned by E'lux a few years back.
    However I think once the relevant technologies were stripped out of those companies they started divest themselves of those companies and all the petrol equiment came under the Husqvarna name.
    Partner was the original Air injection chainsaw until Husqvarna got the tech.
    Now Partner just make consaws, Husky seem to make everything and Jonsered are just huskies with a straight handlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

We got a big Huskie & a small Stihl , don't know model numbers.

The Huskie has a serious amount of work done with no problems, the Stihl is more temperamental,& need tuning & servicing more often.

makita making sawa now as well, wonder are they as good as their power tools??

makita making sawa now as well, wonder are they as good as their power tools??

Their consaws are sh1te.

Jonty wrote: »
    Their consaws are sh1te.

ya they have a great rep but have to say we had a new makita angle grinder on the farm there a few years ago, very moderate use and it didnt last jig time, soft piece of sh1t i thought, maybe they are not what they used to be.

ya they have a great rep but have to say we had a new makita angle grinder on the farm there a few years ago, very moderate use and it didnt last jig time, soft piece of sh1t i thought, maybe they are not what they used to be.

Makita bought Dolmar a few years back and now call them makita.
    Their pro saws are supposed to be good but not most of the budget ones that we see here.
    they have a 50cc that puts out nearly 4hp, the PS5100/DCS5100 but as usual it is US market only, we have the PS5000/DCS5000 here and it isn't quite the same:(
    Lots of Makita is now produced in China and is not the same as it was before.
    If you are an enthusiast then it might be worth buying one from over, but for general usage parts are too hard to come by.
    I hear that the distribution in Ireland leaves something to be desired.....
    I can tell you that if you ever see Shindaiwa saws that they are some of the nicest built I have seen and very easy to start.
    They are sold in my local dealer and I was very impressed with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

If you're buying a saw, buy it in the USA, there about half the price. Do you know anyone over there. Just get them to buy it and send it over

Pakalasa,
    where would you recommend purchasing over there ? A friend told me a few months back that his cousin over there could buy stuff and has contacts in shipping so could get stuff sent over handy enough. If I knew where to look I could point him towards the machine I might want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

On buying saws in the US , I saw a great range of tools and garden equipment at some of the larger Sears stores a few months back, a 39cc Husky with 18" bar for $329 thats around 230 euros.

• Advertisement

Good man, will have a scout at their site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

what do ye think of the stihl MS660 :cool:

How about the McCulloch Mac Cat 338 for €149 lads ?

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=1980&loc=P&catid=102.12

Not for everyday day use just a couple of days in the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭biblio

That McCulloch would probably be fine for light use, and for that price you couldnt go far wrong. They used to have a reputation for being difficult to start when hot , we had a McCulloch Titan which was a good saw to cut but a poor starter after being used for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Pakalasa,
    where would you recommend purchasing over there ? A friend told me a few months back that his cousin over there could buy stuff and has contacts in shipping so could get stuff sent over handy enough. If I knew where to look I could point him towards the machine I might want.

As far as I know he just went to a Stihl agent.

I think I might just get an electric one in a bricks and mortar shop. Something like the Ryobi RCS2040 maybe, only €99 might be sufficient for my needs and means I don't have to wait a couple of weeks for it. Have been told by 2 people (One being my 75 yr old father in law who knows a thing or two :D) that the McCulloch might be best avoided.

Advertisement