Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgy Daft Advert?

Options
  • 19-07-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

A friend of mine is looking to move into a new flatshare so I was doing a little searching on daft.ie to see if I could find anything. I came across this advert for an amazing looking apartment but something just doesn't sit right with me about the advert. I guess its the old "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is" adage.

For one, its seems very cheap even in this current market for the spec indicated by the pictures. Two, the pictures bar perhaps the first one do not look like any Dublin apartment I have ever seen. In fact the last picture looks more like a hotel room which I guess is in keeping with the 'luxury rental' bit in the blurb.

Apart from that case of the scam involving the apartment in the Sweepstakes a couple of years ago are there any known scams doing the rounds on Daft or am I just being paranoid?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Yeah, it does remind me of that Sweepstakes scam back in 2005.
    Funny how people still remember that.

The photo looks dodgy to me, that certainly looks like a hotel bedroom
    But it'd take 20 minutes out of your day to go view the place so if you're looking around the area, may as well go check it out

And it's not over or underpriced, seems to be the going rate for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Ha, seems my intuition was right!

http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?p=779878

I'll contact daft to let them know. These guys would try anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BernieMap

Yep theres a few on daft and myhomes and property.ie. They guy says he's based abroad and the apt looks pretty sweet for a great price. The descrip was very similar to those Nigerian spam scams (spelling and phrasing). I emailed him just in case it was legit but he wants western union in advance then he'd mail me the keys.

Figure I'll pretend like I'm interested and have sent the money just to be a wanker to him.

This is one
    http://www.myhome2let.ie/search/brochure_properties.asp?prop_ID=174292

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

terrible scam that last one.

He could have at least made out he was infact foreign rather than calling himself Paul Kilcullen :D:D and as for the address thats a commerical unit :rolleyes:

If somebody is stupid enough to send him cash by western union then I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

BernieMap wrote: »
    Yep theres a few on daft and myhomes and property.ie. They guy says he's based abroad and the apt looks pretty sweet for a great price. The descrip was very similar to those Nigerian spam scams (spelling and phrasing). I emailed him just in case it was legit but he wants western union in advance then he'd mail me the keys.

Figure I'll pretend like I'm interested and have sent the money just to be a wanker to him.

This is one

But his name is Paul Edwardkilcullen, he has to be local and legit like!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BernieMap wrote: »

This is one

That add is still there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Do you guys not report these scams to Daft/MyHome or wherever they are hosted?
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

JMJR wrote: »
    Do you guys not report these scams to Daft/MyHome or wherever they are hosted?
    John

Actually i did last night, and they took it down first thing today....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

DRAT!!!

IF IT WASNT FOR THOSE PESKY KIDS I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN AWAY WITH IT (SHAKES FIST)

Advertisement