Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisbon Monologue on politics.ie?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I didnt quote you saying harrasing and I didnt state you said harassing, I am sorry if you felt I meant to insinuate that you said the word harassing. As I asked in my post I would like to know what you meant by difficulties My two points were in response to that, harassing was put in * * because the issue at hand was not that they were harassing posters, just that as you did say the vast majority of posters appear to be yes voters when that may not be the case.

Never said you were, but out of curiosity what divides a conspiracy no voter from a regular no voter. Are there specific points you would debate that they wouldnt and so on? I personnally have never used the term consipracy no voter.

Like I said there could be difficulty in seperating them, maybe you should do a thread on the issues you dont want to have associated with Lisbon? much like how I did one emphasizing I dont want to be associated with Fianna Fail despite intending to vote yes. There are still the odd reference that yes = fianna fail, but I am happy that I can point to a thread that shows that myself and a large number of other posters do not support them.

I expect you do, and hopefully continue to do so

penis

:D
    ^

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

we could start using the term conspiracy no voter for everyone who 'heard that lisbon is going to this baaaaad thing to ireland' kind of posters.

I would have assumed they were nationalist no voters and conspiracy no voters would have been the ones who would say the whole thing is some ploy by the bloomberg movement or a sign of the NWO etc.

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I've been a bit harsher in that respect recently, which is actually the result of the politics.ie invasion - usually, there'd be much more leeway, but I'm not interested in seeing the level of factual accuracy here drop to the levels of politics.ie, because I don't think it's possible to have a worthwhile discussion if people are going to make up the "facts".
    Speaking of factual accuracy-did that invasion you speak off skew the poll in this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I wasn't exactly talking about them coming over to us, more like us going over to them to try and actualy spark some real debate over there.

And yes it most likely did mess up our poll as most of us are on the Yes side.

Not by much I say.

Considering the number of posters who would pop in post once saying they intend to vote no and disapear back to other more interesting (for them) areas of boards I would say being behind by only 20 or so votes is surprisingly good.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I wasn't exactly talking about them coming over to us, more like us going over to them to try and actualy spark some real debate over there.

And yes it most likely did mess up our poll as most of us are on the Yes side.

I find the "most of us " a bit funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I don't think there's enough of 'them' to skew the poll. I'd imagine it's a pretty accurate poll of people who come onto the EU politics forum and respond to polls.

I don't see any more point in posting about politics on p.ie than I do on wol.ie

I like it here, the level of discourse is a cut above many fora.

I don't think there's enough of 'them' to skew the poll. I'd imagine it's a pretty accurate poll of people who come onto the EU politics forum and respond to polls.

I don't see any more point in posting about politics on p.ie than I do on wol.ie

I like it here, the level of discourse is a cut above many fora.

Despite the fact that we have vehemently disagreed on a lot of Eu issues ( and more to come ),....well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Speaking of factual accuracy-did that invasion you speak off skew the poll in this forum?

I doubt it - we're only talking about a handful of posters.

cordially,
    scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

turgon wrote: »
    Thats a good synopsis Scofflaw. Do many "boardies" also regularly post there?
    When stuff on firearms legislation came up there a while back, yes, because the discussion was shockingly wrong on easily checked facts and frankly, firearms legislation is sortof like growth medium - any stray bug can grow to pandemic proportions in it. The 1964 Firearms Act's debate in the Seanad, for example, saw serious consideration given to banning .22 calibre rifles because in The Day of the Jackal, the assassin uses .22 calibre exploding bullets and the senators were worried that might happen here. It'd be funny if it wasn't so darn serious...

But regular posting there? No, not really. Even I can't get that shouty for that long.

• Advertisement

completely offtopic

speaking of the firearms act. I've been informed (might be wrong) that due to the latest one the number of paintballs someone is allowed to have in their home is the same as rifle ammunition as they have been classed in the same catagory. So how many rifle rounds is someone allowed to own?

Is it more or less then 500? Cause I have half a box of paintball (1 box = 1000 rounds) at the moment and I wanted to know should I add it to the list of laws I am accidently breaking (and I dont even own a paintball marker)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    speaking of the firearms act. I've been informed (might be wrong) that due to the latest one the number of paintballs someone is allowed to have in their home is the same as rifle ammunition as they have been classed in the same catagory.
    Actually, they always have been, but I've never heard of any Garda deciding to count paintballs...
    So how many rifle rounds is someone allowed to own?
    As many as it says on the licence. The default number PULSE assigns is 100 (the system's really more set up for hunters and shotgun users), but some target shooters have tens of thousands of rounds allowed (yes, that's perfectly safe and legitimate for various reasons you can read up on in Shooting).
    However, most paintball markers are held on authorisations, not licences, and those have no upper limit on ammunition, so I suspect that's how folks get round it in commercial operations where it'd be an inconvenience to be able to only store 100 paintballs at a time :D
    I have half a box of paintball (1 box = 1000 rounds) at the moment and I wanted to know should I add it to the list of laws I am accidently breaking (and I dont even own a paintball marker)
    Technically, yes, congratulations, you've just confessed to possession of illegally held ammunition, punishable by a few years in prison and a few thousand euro in fines.
    In practical terms, it's paint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Scofflaw wrote: »
    It's also worth bearing in mind that boards has a Conspiracy Theory forum for the tinfoil hat threads, and an After Hours forum for the threads about the colour of people's dresses...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

While usually your fact are impeccibly accurate Scofflaw, regrettably I have to inform you there is a fashion forum for discussing the colour of peoples dresses. After Hours is for Your Ma threads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

marco_polo wrote: »
    While usually your fact are impeccibly accurate Scofflaw, regrettably I have to inform you there is a fashion forum for discussing the colour of peoples dresses. After Hours is for Your Ma threads. ;)
    You mean "Yore Ma".

Which raises the question of where one goes to discuss your ma's dress colour...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

marco_polo wrote: »

I stand humbly corrected. Should the question of a politician's dress crop up here, I now know which forum it should be despatched to...

humbly,
    Scofflaw

Should the question of a politician's dress crop up here, I now know which forum it should be despatched to...

facial hair and hats of course.

especially if its mary harney.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sparks wrote: »
    Which raises the question of where one goes to discuss your ma's dress colour...

That would be fashion. And this from a Mod?

Unless you have transvestite tendencies? PI >>>>>>

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

turgon wrote: »
    politics.ie is an awful awful website.

I have to agree. It's a level of debate on par with Bill O'Reilly - entrenched views, people shouting at each other and nobody listening. It's almost ripe for parody; to borrow for Stephen Colbert, a lot of 'truthiness' is evident and tolerated.

Was following a thread there yesterday - I was bored -when a poster challenged another to back up some claims. The poster did so and was promptly countered by his adversary.. at the end of the post he typed "Challenged Failed" I nearly fell of the seat laughing, all I could picture was Ben Stiller's character from Dodgeball whooping it up.

Advertisement