Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First car worries!!!

• 19-07-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Just bought my first diesel car and i'm just a bit worried. This might sound stupid but is it normal for there to be a little bit of black smoke coming from the exhaust when i rev the engine or accelerate?? Sorry if it sounds stupid but i dont know if its normal??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Completely normal, don't worry about it unless it's excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Laura 26

Thanks for that - im still getting used to driving it so im finding when i pull off from being stopped that im kinda revving it a little to much - know i shouldnt and trying to stop - thats when i see the black smoke so does that sound ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

black smoke is standard on diesel cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Laura 26 wrote: »
    Thanks for that - im still getting used to driving it so im finding when i pull off from being stopped that im kinda revving it a little to much - know i shouldnt and trying to stop - thats when i see the black smoke so does that sound ok?

Yeah, sounds grand.

Good luck with the driving :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Well with older diesels there was always some/alot of black smoke comming
    from there exhausts....:rolleyes:
    But with modern diesels most them have particle filters fitted which reduce this to very little smoke been produced..but dpf's have there drawbacks...:rolleyes:

What make/model year of diesel have you got...??

On my 406 td with 200k+ on the clock my rearview mirror is filled with
    a dark smog whenever i overtake another car.....:eek:
    Row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My Diesel 05 Passat did it.

My 06 Audi A4 does it.

It does it less when its just been serviced and gets worse as the dirtier the filters and oil gets.

Nothing to worry about. Diesel is a heavier and dirtier fuel.

Black smoke generally means you are not afraid to put your foot down. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Laura 26....i forgot to wish you good luck with your first car...:)
    Black smoke normally comes from un-burnt diesel...if its blue smoke ...then engine is burning oil.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Laura 26

Thanks for all your advice - rang the garage today and he told me to drive it on a long journey and it should be ok. Its a 04 Mondeo. I will see how i get on and if it gets any better. Thanks a mill for all advice.:)

Advertisement