Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Law & European Studies Recognised by Teaching Council

• 19-07-2009 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I'm extremely frustrated and confused about my course. I'm going into my third year in Law and European Studies (studying French) and had been under the impression since secondary school that i had the option of becoming a lawyer or secondary school teacher. However, the course is not recognised by the Teaching Council as French only comprises 25% of the course and not 30%. I was wondering if anyone had ever tried to get it recognised as there is an unrefundable fee of €1000 to do so. I want to become a teacher so badly and am considering going back and doing Arts if i can't get it recognised. I was considering whether taking extra French modules would make a difference and I am also going on Erasmus. Wish I had the cop-on to check if it was a recognised degree before i pursued it. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

What other subjects would you be able to teach? You'll need more than one subject really. If its any help, the music H. dip. people the year just gone did the CSPE course, it was done on a Wednesday evening, so that they could teach music as well as CSPE. Having heard plenty of stories from the Music H. Dip. class, I would suggest looking at teaching jobs in England as there are very few teaching jobs here and very many applying for them. School principal is the only job that seems to frequently come up.

Do the FE-1s if you enjoy law at all, at least you will have a fallback option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

To be honest, I have no interest in pursuing the law side of things. It really isn't for me and having seen the practical side of it on co-op, it's just cemented what I already knew. I was considering doing the Languages Graduate Diploma in Education when I'm finished (doing French and English Language Teaching) and then doing the higher diploma in arts in english in UCC. That would qualify me to teach French and English Language Teaching all right but not sure if the higher diploma would allow me to teach English or would I then have to do an additional H Dip. That would be a very long (and expensive!) route to becoming a teacher! The suggestion about CSPE is a good one though, might look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bluerain

I was under the impression that L&E did qualify for language teaching. I looked into it last year and got a statement from the college with all the hours I did every semester in the language and I'm pretty sure it worked out over the 30%. Also, to be recognised by the TC you must have done Erasmus (or lived in the country for 3 months). It's annoying not to be able to get a straight answer about it without handing over money. Also watch out that the TC only recognise 3/4 year undergraduate degrees when looking at whether you qualify..masters, postgrads or graduate diplomas WONT count as far as I know.

Advertisement