Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom tech guys.

Options
  • 19-07-2009 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭

I’m having trouble with my broadband, So i called their helpline, they ran some test, said it looks ok, but my line drops frequently, Im on 7mb but i can’t remember when I was last getting it, currently, acording to speedtest.net, im getting at the most 3. Most of the time I’m getting less than 1.

Anyway, they have scheduled a techie to come out and look at it.

BUT. If the problem turns out to be my fault, they will charge me for the call out. I think that’s a bit rich TBH.

Can anyone advise on this? Have you delt with them before?

Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I’m having trouble with my broadband, So i called their helpline, they ran some test, said it looks ok, but my line drops frequently, Im on 7mb but i can’t remember when I was last getting it, currently, acording to speedtest.net, im getting at the most 3. Most of the time I’m getting less than 1.

BUT. If the problem turns out to be my fault, they will charge me for the call out. I think that’s a bit rich TBH.

Thanks for the feedback.

They probably asked you if you have alarm system, sky, etc connected to the line, and they probably asked you test it on the main phone line without the filters. If you did everything what they asked you to do, there should be no fee. Secondly, if it turns out the be your fault, you need to sign a form before they fix it. Let me know, if you have any more questions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Thanks for the feedback.

Simply demonstrate that the problem lies with eircom. Disconnect everything attached to your phone line, aside from DSL, and prove that when you plug your modem directly into the eircom termination point in your home, you continue to have the problem.

Common problems that mess up DSL broadband include crappy home wiring, and phones made for the British or American market. The more attachments to your phone line = greater likelihood of probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I done all the test the asked, have sky, but not connected to phone line, unplugged main phone line, no alarm (prob shouldn't have put that online haha) but the only things that go onto phone line is the phone and the B/B. I use the xbox on it, all the time, very slow speed, at the moment its absolutely horrible!!

I done all the test the asked, have sky, but not connected to phone line, unplugged main phone line, no alarm (prob shouldn't have put that online haha) but the only things that go onto phone line is the phone and the B/B. I use the xbox on it, all the time, very slow speed, at the moment its absolutely horrible!!

The phone and the modem connecting via a small little adapter, right? disconnect it, plug the modem directly in, see if that helped. if it didn't try it on the main. if its not working on the mains, then its most likely a fault somewhere.

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    The phone and the modem connecting via a small little adapter, right? disconnect it, plug the modem directly in, see if that helped. if it didn't try it on the main. if its not working on the mains, then its most likely a fault somewhere.

tried that the other day, no change. Funny the helpline guy never asked me to do that.

• Advertisement

tried that the other day, no change. Funny the helpline guy never asked me to do that.

so if you did all that dont worry, there should be no callout charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

I have the _EXACT_ same problem

Check my thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055623562

Eircom are so ****ing ****. I cant believe how atrocious ireland is in terms of internet as compared to other countries.

The tech came out to my place, said everythings fine, i got charged nothing but my internet is still ****ING **** 2 months later. Good luck with your problem; if you can get it fixed or even get eircom to acknowledge their service is crap and needs fixing, let me know how you did it.

My problem is also a few months old, after 6 or 7, you better hope i have nothing to do online, i use my xbox for CoD, even that is stretch. Opening pages, refreshing, im looking at about 40 sec's for a page to even appear. these are my results: im on a 7mb line.

520898254.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

That ping is brilliant!:pac:

Have you sent then links to speedtests at different times of the day connected to your lan port on the eircom router?If those speeds are from that it's nothing to do with you..

its usually better than that during the day, but not by much, i tested that just as i was posting.

Im using wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Germag

My tests show: dload 2.56Mb/s upload 0.31Mb/s and ping 34ms. I'm on 3Mb near ratoath. Nearest exchange 3miles away. What do you think of these results?

Germag wrote: »
    My tests show: dload 2.56Mb/s upload 0.31Mb/s and ping 34ms. I'm on 3Mb near ratoath. Nearest exchange 3miles away. What do you think of these results?

your getting what you pay for. good results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spamme

Thanks for the feedback.

Hi Darksaga

You wouldn't happen to be in Wicklow town?

I have exactly the same problem, and had no DSL available from approx. 6:30 on Saturday through to approx 7pm yesterday ... logged a call on Saturday with eircom, and to be honest, the guy went through all the bits and pieces. I have a PhoneWatch alarm, and he actually had the nerve to ask me if I had installed in myself!

I have the dual port point that was installed by eircom (DSL on left, Phone on right), and the PhoneWatch cable goes straight into the back of it. They asked me all the usual, what was connected, and believe it or not, the only things connected are PhoneWatch alarm, DSL modem and 1 phone - all through the dual port socket!!

They apparently have scheduled a techie, but also warned me that if it was my fault I would be charged.

So now, I'm waiting on a techie to call out, but to be honest, I don't think that they will do anything, just say it's working fine ... depends on the time of the day that they call out ... there's certainly no way that they will acknowledge a problem at the exchange anyway ...

I'm seriously considering moving to another provider at this stage ....

- S

I live in Drogheda. the exchange is just around the corner from me.

If they tell me its working fine, they will switched off with in 10 mins of that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

And the exact same problem that I have here aswell.

absoutly terrible download/upload times. Eircom dont seem to want to fix it but they are quite willing to charge me for a 7 MB line when I have never got close to that speed.

I remember I was in Terenure on a 1Mb line and its was better than what I have now.

How do we get this sorted?

If they get it sorted and working at what im paying for, i might hold onto them, if not.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A lot of you seem to be on the 7Mb product. Lots of lines are simply not up this speed so the first thing to look at is your line stats. They can account for many of the type of problems listed here.

And far be it from me to defend any isp but any regular visitor to this forum will know that there are loads of threads here headed 'Problems with xxxx isp'' and it emerges eventually that the problem has nothing got to do with the isp at all and that a minimal amount of diagnosis would reveal this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

dub45 wrote: »
    A lot of you seem to be on the 7Mb product. Lots of lines are simply not up this speed so the first thing to look at is your line stats. They can account for many of the type of problems listed here.

And far be it from me to defend any isp but any regular visitor to this forum will know that there are loads of threads here headed 'Problems with xxxx isp'' and it emerges eventually that the problem has nothing got to do with the isp at all and that a minimal amount of diagnosis would reveal this.

Truer words.

dub45 wrote: »

Actually they even dropped my speed down to 4 or 5mb to see if that was the problem - it was still exactly the same.

I can say for sure the problem i have isnt my side but theyre uninterested in fixing the issues their side.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Epeen wrote: »
    Actually they even dropped my speed down to 4 or 5mb to see if that was the problem - it was still exactly the same.

I can say for sure the problem i have isnt my side but theyre uninterested in fixing the issues their side.

What are your line stats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My problem is also a few months old, after 6 or 7, you better hope i have nothing to do online, i use my xbox for CoD, even that is stretch. Opening pages, refreshing, im looking at about 40 sec's for a page to even appear. these are my results: im on a 7mb line.

520898254.png

You say it's after six or seven so that points to it being a contention issue in your area rather than anything else. No amount of work in your home or with your equipment will fix that.

If you are using the Netopia, open up your web browser and browse to 192.168.1.254

On there you should see what speed the line is synched at. Post that or even just a screengrab of the modem status page.

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7584 672
    SN Margin (dB) 11.00 12.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 18.00 9.00
    CRC Errors 3 1

blarg

You say it's after six or seven so that points to it being a contention issue in your area rather than anything else. No amount of work in your home or with your equipment will fix that.

bingo

although mines fairly choppy in the daytime as well lately

My speed is actually never good, its after 6 that it drops to less than 1mb. during the day, i may be lucky to get 3.

but i will post stats in a bit.

do oyu need anything else?

some more

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 8.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 43.00 25.00
    CRC Errors 0 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,004 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

My speed is actually never good, its after 6 that it drops to less than 1mb. during the day, i may be lucky to get 3.

but i will post stats in a bit.

do oyu need anything else?

Everything looks fine. The attenuation could be a little lower, but shouldn't be causing your problems.

I'd edit your image though if I was you to blank out the IP Address as there is always someone who'll try take advantage of that information if they know of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

Had same problem with my Eircom alledged 3 Meg line. Was only getting .5 meg most of the time. Sometimes it wasn't even connecting at all. Eircom support said the line was fine but would send out an Engineer to confirm. If wasn't there fault they would charge me blah blah.. Anyhow, I asked them what the contention ratio (amount of users using the same line) was and they said 48-1. I told them it was 24-1 when I signed up to Eircom a couple of years ago. It turns out this is the problem.
    I did get 2 months free broadband from them as compensation and the line has improved, but at peak times it drops to 1 meg or less. I'd say thats same problem as you!

Just got a call from the engineer, he said once it is connecting, its not his proplem.
    Said to call back help desk, nothing he can do!!!

getting Pissed off now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Eircom reached new heights for me today.

Was setting up BB in a house yesterday with a brand new Netopia 2247. The router was getting a sync of 1024/256 kbps (cancellation profile or inactive port). So I thought, handy fix now - just give Eircom a bell for sort it.

Eircom's solution? Install the Eircom CD to "activate" the router. :eek:

Unbelievable! The fault is now logged. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That attenuation is way too high. 43dB really is the most that 7mbps ADSL1 could handle. I'd get that speed lowered a bit if possible, so that you don't have to put up with the internet cutting off.

How far away are you from the Boyne Centre??

It sounds like contention alright. I've been noticing minor slowdowns in the evening on Perlico (perlico and eircom share most of the exchange equipment.) and I'm on 1 mbps! I think ping speeds were fine however. I'll check this evening.

Advertisement