Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom tech guys.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

I was told today that because i have 103gb downloaded and 18gb uploaded so far this month thats the reason i am getting 60% packet loss :rolleyes:

Unfortunately that logic is retardation at its highest since i was away for the month of july and had downloaded nothing, the day i got back i still had the 60% packet loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Maximus_Laggus

Sounds like they throttled your speed. Thats a punishment for using up too much bandwidth that some ISP's are known to do. They purposefully lower your speeds. It's also the reason that people sharing your line (contention ratio) are experiencing slow speeds. If 48 other people were sharing the line and downloading the amount that your downloading it will bottleneck to dialup speeds.

It does seem like an excessive amount to download in a month in fairness:eek:

Sounds like they throttled your speed. Thats a punishment for using up too much bandwidth that some ISP's are known to do. They purposefully lower your speeds. It's also the reason that people sharing your line (contention ratio) are experiencing slow speeds. If 48 other people were sharing the line and downloading the amount that your downloading it will bottleneck to dialup speeds.

It does seem like an excessive amount to download in a month in fairness:eek:

Actually he was ADAMANT that they werent throttling anything. Thats the thing - my download and upload speeds are the same, i just have 60% packet loss and massive ping spikes. The normal user would be unaffected but im a gamer so im constantly getting disconnected or kicked for high pings (because it spikes from 60ms to 2000ms)

I think he was a bit stupid like he thought i was downloading all the time every time but i tried to explain ive done ping tests on a cleanly installed computer with nothing using my internet and ive had the same spikes.

Anyway instead of seeing if i had a legimate problem he basically held me to ransom saying he wasnt taking the ticket any further because i might be asked to pay the EIGHT HUNDRED EUROs in charges of me going over my 50gb limit :rolleyes:

So ive changed to Smart Telecom. Eircom are ****ing useless.

Also; ive done 400gb in a month before :D Theyve just never brought it up.

Considering a proper h264 bluray rip is like 8-12gb, a 50gb limit is ridiculously stupid. Eircom have no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Is anyone familier with usind

cmd-

nestat /a

?

Ive run this, downloaded spybot and run it (as instructed by eircom) I still get like 50 tcp and udp lines, this i was told was bad, anyone know a fix for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

I rang Eircom tech support today due to trouble setting up my wpa code. It turns out my wireless router is acting up. Speed tests on eircoms site ranged from 900kbps to 6036533kbps ( im on the 7mb package ).
    Seemingly getting speeds over your 7000kbps means that the router is screwed. He is sending out a new router ( no charge ). What was interesting was when he said my speed should not be dropping below say 6000kbps no matter what time of the day/night. I have to test speeds with the new router and if they are below 6000kbps i have to contact them again using a ref number & an engineer will be sent out.

P.s I was dreading making the call to tech support. When a guy/girl answers with a foreign accent I feel like crying or hangin up. Either I cant understand them or they cant understand me. But this time the guy was irish and it made a big difference trying to resolve the problem over the phone:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

yes
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings>netstat /a

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
      TCP    satduo:auth            satduo:0               LISTENING
      TCP    satduo:epmap           satduo:0               LISTENING
      TCP    satduo:microsoft-ds    satduo:0               LISTENING
      TCP    satduo:21086           satduo:0               LISTENING
      TCP    satduo:1032            localhost:1033         ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1033            localhost:1032         ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1034            localhost:1035         ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1035            localhost:1034         ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1168            localhost:1169         ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1169            localhost:1168         ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1176            localhost:1177         ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1177            localhost:1176         ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:netbios-ssn     satduo:0               LISTENING
      TCP    satduo:1036            irc.playerofgames.com:6667  ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1055            78.157.104.119:27923   ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1556            gv-in-f157.google.com:http  ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1562            lm-in-f100.google.com:http  ESTABLISHED
      TCP    satduo:1563            lm-in-f100.google.com:http  ESTABLISHED
      UDP    satduo:microsoft-ds    *:*
      UDP    satduo:isakmp          *:*
      UDP    satduo:4500            *:*
      UDP    satduo:21086           *:*
      UDP    satduo:1054            *:*
      UDP    satduo:netbios-ns      *:*
      UDP    satduo:netbios-dgm     *:*

C:\Documents and Settings>

I know there is nothing evil running here.

These are
    Connections of shares from my server.
    IRC sessions
    Web sessions
    Skype connection/session

Run it with no programs running.

Im getting 52 TCP & 23 UDP which I believe is bad:confused:

Look for Root Kits
    http://www.gmer.net/

Identify all programs launching. Then Safe mode and edit registry to get rid of unwanted.
    http://www.silentrunners.org/
    (Occasionally on some DELLs identifies a Netopia keyboard driver as malware. Don't remove it from registry, it's not.)

Some skill needed. But unlike AV programs which will ALWAYS fail, these manual expert solutions work.

watty wrote: »
    Look for Root Kits
    http://www.gmer.net/

Identify all programs launching. Then Safe mode and edit registry to get rid of unwanted.
    http://www.silentrunners.org/
    (Occasionally on some DELLs identifies a Netopia keyboard driver as malware. Don't remove it from registry, it's not.)

Some skill needed. But unlike AV programs which will ALWAYS fail, these manual expert solutions work.

Thanks watty. Ill read up on the above info

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

I rang Eircom tech support today due to trouble setting up my wpa code. It turns out my wireless router is acting up. Speed tests on eircoms site ranged from 900kbps to 6036533kbps ( im on the 7mb package ).
    Seemingly getting speeds over your 7000kbps means that the router is screwed. He is sending out a new router ( no charge ). What was interesting was when he said my speed should not be dropping below say 6000kbps no matter what time of the day/night. I have to test speeds with the new router and if they are below 6000kbps i have to contact them again using a ref number & an engineer will be sent out.

P.s I was dreading making the call to tech support. When a guy/girl answers with a foreign accent I feel like crying or hangin up. Either I cant understand them or they cant understand me. But this time the guy was irish and it made a big difference trying to resolve the problem over the phone:D

strange ive the same problem and was told that theres nothing wrong with my router as i only had it replaced 2-3 months ago (even tho the one they sent me out is a referb job that went out of warrinty on 1/3/2007) there was nothing wrong with my original one in the first place, it was near bran new around 3 months old!!! and this so called "new" one is a lot worse!

am sick and tired of ringing up, ping times are crap, used to be 60-80 now i get anything from 120-200 useless for what i want. am also on the 7MB package, Line Attenuation is 29/15 dB and speeds are all over the shop, during the day they get as low as 1MB, thats after it spikes up to 25MB first then takes 4 or 5 mins to drop to 1MB before the test finishes

just tried 2 speed tests there and im getting this on speedtest.net

524068865.png

and on eircoms speedtest its coming in at 36357kbps

when i try to download anything say from rapidshare it does nothing, even if i connect direct to my websites server and try to download a file from it, it fails! have been ringing them now for the last month complaning about this and they keep telling me that they will get someone to look into it bla bla bla takes down my mobile number, promise call backs that i never get and so on

really am getting fed up with it and would change ISP if there really was a decent option from eircom in drogheda, i was also told that its my computer thats the problem and theres no faults with their equipment! its not as ive a fresh install of windows 7 running thats just over a week old with no programs installed apart from windows live messenger!

is there anything i can do about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Im in Drogheda myself, i suffer some of the same issues, although mine never gets a spike of 25mb, it rarely reaches more than 3mb.

this is becoming a joke! just off the fone once more, and once again they said theres no problems with my line

if theres no problem why is it so poor?

524396855.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

dazdrog wrote: »
    this is becoming a joke! just off the fone once more, and once again they said theres no problems with my line

524396855.png
    You don't get pings like that with a DSL service unless something in between is causing it.

Are you connecting wirelessly or with a cable to your router? If wireless, do the same test with a LAN cable connected.

connecting thru the yellow ethernet cable, i dont use the wireless at all so have it turned off

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

connecting thru the yellow ethernet cable, i dont use the wireless at all so have it turned off

Whats your Snr?

Speed 7168/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 29/15 dB

is that right?

strange ive the same problem and was told that theres nothing wrong with my router as i only had it replaced 2-3 months ago (even tho the one they sent me out is a referb job that went out of warrinty on 1/3/2007) there was nothing wrong with my original one in the first place, it was near bran new around 3 months old!!! and this so called "new" one is a lot worse!

am sick and tired of ringing up, ping times are crap, used to be 60-80 now i get anything from 120-200 useless for what i want. am also on the 7MB package, Line Attenuation is 29/15 dB and speeds are all over the shop, during the day they get as low as 1MB, thats after it spikes up to 25MB first then takes 4 or 5 mins to drop to 1MB before the test finishes

just tried 2 speed tests there and im getting this on speedtest.net

524068865.png

and on eircoms speedtest its coming in at 36357kbps

when i try to download anything say from rapidshare it does nothing, even if i connect direct to my websites server and try to download a file from it, it fails! have been ringing them now for the last month complaning about this and they keep telling me that they will get someone to look into it bla bla bla takes down my mobile number, promise call backs that i never get and so on

really am getting fed up with it and would change ISP if there really was a decent option from eircom in drogheda, i was also told that its my computer thats the problem and theres no faults with their equipment! its not as ive a fresh install of windows 7 running thats just over a week old with no programs installed apart from windows live messenger!

is there anything i can do about this?

Well the chap I spoke to was adamant that I should no be getting speeds over my 7mb package. He said it was down to the router & that my line is fine. If I got an average speed of 5000kbps I wouls be happy but the norm is 80kbps - 120kbps during the evenings:mad:

524396855.png

That's DSL and not eircom's Mobile (resold Meteor)? :(

If that is a DSL line, something is very sick. Post the stats page as dub45 says.

(right click on it, select all, paste in post, or copy & paste relevent parts, or Alt Prt-Scn and paste in a paint/photo program and upload.)

how do i get this information? and yes its DSL and a 7MB package

Edit:- is this the info you's want?

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream. Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 7168 384
    SN Margin (dB) 13.00 17.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 29.50 15.50
    CRC Errors 22 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

524434431.png <<< TEST FROM EARLIER
    524438500.png <<< 2nd TEST
    524440599.png <<< ONE I JUST DONE
    Epeen wrote: »
    Actually he was ADAMANT that they werent throttling anything. Thats the thing - my download and upload speeds are the same, i just have 60% packet loss and massive ping spikes. The normal user would be unaffected but im a gamer so im constantly getting disconnected or kicked for high pings (because it spikes from 60ms to 2000ms)

I receive packet loss from checking on pingplotter standard. I get lag spikes every minute or so for a duration of about 5secs...

Anybody know why this could be?

• Advertisement

you used two differnt servers to test the speed, test with the server closest to you not one in maidenhead as your second test was done by!!

EDIT:- just tried my speed there to see what it was now as it seamed a little better, and once more im getting speeds that are impossible to get with adsl!

524443888.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

red_bairn wrote: »
    524434431.png <<< TEST FROM EARLIER
    524438500.png <<< 2nd TEST
    524440599.png <<< ONE I JUST DONE

I receive packet loss from checking on pingplotter standard. I get lag spikes every minute or so for a duration of about 5secs...

Anybody know why this could be?
    I assume you've tried a different router yes? And you should always be testing from your closest server (Dublin in this case).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Ooops! sry!

524446446.png

524446943.png
    cpu-dude wrote: »
    I assume you've tried a different router yes? And you should always be testing from your closest server (Dublin in this case).

this is a new one we got off Eircom 2247-62 when changing abck to them. Our Belkin is poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

Sorry if i'm intruding!! These are my speeds:

Download Speed: 2.70 mb/s
    Upload Speed: 0.32 mb/s
    Ping: 102 ms

I am on 7mb wireless eircom in Cork, is this any good?? Haven't rang eircom tech yet cause I only use it for browsing and feel its quick, but should i be getting quicker??

Also is it better to have higher or lower ping?? Sorry if the qs seem silly, No clue about bb speeds.

Thanks

Kinda32 wrote: »
    Sorry if i'm intruding!! These are my speeds:

Download Speed: 2.70 mb/s
    Upload Speed: 0.32 mb/s
    Ping: 102 ms

I am on 7mb wireless eircom in Cork, is this any good?? Haven't rang eircom tech yet cause I only use it for browsing and feel its quick, but should i be getting quicker??

Also is it better to have higher or lower ping?? Sorry if the qs seem silly, No clue about bb speeds.

Thanks

lower pings are better and nope your not getting the speeds of a 7MB package, your getting the speeds of a 3MB package from the look of it

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

lower pings are better and nope your not getting the speeds of a 7MB package, your getting the speeds of a 3MB package from the look of it

Think i should enquire into it further?? Is there much they can do?? As i said earlier, i only use it for browsing internet and odd streaming of films

Lower your package

Theyre reefing you and getting free money - something they seem to be doing to most of the population, only a few cop on to it though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Epeen wrote: »
    Lower your package

Theyre reefing you and getting free money - something they seem to be doing to most of the population, only a few cop on to it though.

Nonsense - people choose whatever package they are on.

dub45 wrote: »
    Nonsense - people choose whatever package they are on.

They choose whatever package they are on but as of late a lot of people arent getting that package as advertised.

• Advertisement

anyone any help for me? as soon as ya's asked me for info, that i provided and then never got any word after that

Advertisement