Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom tech guys.

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Just a quick update to my earlier post. I recieved the new modem today. I ran a few speed tests that ranged from 500kbps to 1500kbps (7.6mb package ) So new modem has made no change.

I have just spent the last 45 mins speaking to a chap with broken english:(
    Connected up with the yellow ethernet cable and still got very low speeds.
    They are sending out an engineer:( who could charge me E100 if the fault is on my behalf.
    Quick question- If he tests the speed at midday it could be possible to get a decent speed, but its during the evenings & weekends that the speed is very bad. Will his test allow for this:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

press start menu - cmd - enter "netstat /a"

how many results do you get? tcp and udp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    press start menu - cmd - enter "netstat /a"

how many results do you get? tcp and udp?

Tcp = 128

udp = 30

I ran this test the other day & I think I got roughly Tcp = 53

So it doubled:confused:

I have the same problem. Im not sure how to fix it, eircom gob****es have no idea either, so im comntemplating reformating laptop. Im getting rid of eircom anyway, waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

dub45 wrote: »
    A lot of you seem to be on the 7Mb product. Lots of lines are simply not up this speed so the first thing to look at is your line stats. They can account for many of the type of problems listed here.

And far be it from me to defend any isp but any regular visitor to this forum will know that there are loads of threads here headed 'Problems with xxxx isp'' and it emerges eventually that the problem has nothing got to do with the isp at all and that a minimal amount of diagnosis would reveal this.

Well i'm not and have the exact same problem. I'm on a 3MB connection and for the first few months I was getting exactly what I am paying for so my line is capable of those 3MB speeds. However over the last several months the service has been crap, more like a 1MB connection. Eircom are obviously causing this imo. My suspision is they are overselling their product and it's being overstretched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

dub45 wrote: »
    Nonsense - people choose whatever package they are on.

You do seem overly keen to defend Eircom. It is not that black and white. Most ppl will chose the higher numbered package, in this case 7MB, in the belief they will get the fastest speeds and speed a 7MB connection should produce. While Eircom will not gaurentee anything other than a paltry 256kbps or something how is the normal Joe buying a package to know if a 7MB package will give them 7MB speeds prior to it being installed. They are selecting the package based on which one is advertised as the fastest. The Eircom salesppl certainly never explain any of this ime. If they then only get what a 3MB package delievers they are paying more than they really should.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You do seem overly keen to defend Eircom. It is not that black and white. Most ppl will chose the higher numbered package, in this case 7MB, in the belief they will get the fastest speeds and speed a 7MB connection should produce. While Eircom will not gaurentee anything other than a paltry 256kbps or something how is the normal Joe buying a package to know if a 7MB package will give them 7MB speeds prior to it being installed. They are selecting the package based on which one is advertised as the fastest. The Eircom salesppl certainly never explain any of this ime. If they then only get what a 3MB package delievers they are paying more than they really should.

No I am not defending Eircom at all. However I am a firm believer in rational criticism. The post you quote from me was in reply to this:
    Originally Posted by Epeen.

Lower your package

Theyre reefing you and getting free money - something they seem to be doing to most of the population, only a few cop on to it though.

Like it or not it is the customer who chooses the package not Eircom. I have posted here several times over a long period that isps should be more careful when selling high speed packages. However for some reason people are not keen to educate themselves about bb. There are plenty of warnings around about bb speed but as you say people will go for the fastest speed and sales people being sales people will happily sell it.

Even if Eircom checked every line and gave unique advice on it (something which would be far too costly for them) they still could not predict what performance the customer is likely to get given the vagaries of internal wiring, dodgy filters etc. And thats not even considering wireless issues.

There are plenty of things which Eircom are responsible for and deserve criticism for but equally there are plenty of things outside their control which they are blamed for without the person doing even the most basic diagnosis of the problem.

And can you imagine how many posts there would be on here moaning if Eircom or any other isp refused to give a customer the maximum speed product?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

I had a very similar problem with eircom, had the tech guys out a few times and at least 20 phone calls with them. Its all sorted now took a phone call to BT who basically said my exchange was useless.

Just gotta wait it out, eircom are in no rush to sort out the exchanges :mad:

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    I had a very similar problem with eircom, had the tech guys out a few times and at least 20 phone calls with them. Its all sorted now took a phone call to BT who basically said my exchange was useless.

Just gotta wait it out, eircom are in no rush to sort out the exchanges :mad:

what they do? what did you ask them to do?

Advertisement