Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenihan the damned/savior?

Options
  • 19-07-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Reading many of the opinion pieces in the newspapers following the Board Snip report one clear thing emerged, most of our commentators believe right now the future of the country rests on lenihan's shoulders. With cowen doing his usual stunt of inaction, i suppose they are right. So what do you think will lenihan downplay the report and be the saviour of 'our most vulnerable' and damn the future years of the country, or will he largely implement it and point us to the road to recovery, damning himself in the eyes of the general public?

(i'd post a poll here, but i can't seem to find the magical button that would add the poll to my post, sorry)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

That's assuming that implementing the reports recommendations leads to recovery?

You can't post a poll because they're not allowed in the politics forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Mario007 wrote: »
    Reading many of the opinion pieces in the newspapers following the Board Snip report one clear thing emerged, most of our commentators believe right now the future of the country rests on lenihan's shoulders. With cowen doing his usual stunt of inaction, i suppose they are right. So what do you think will lenihan downplay the report and be the saviour of 'our most vulnerable' and damn the future years of the country, or will he largely implement it and point us to the road to recovery, damning himself in the eyes of the general public?

(i'd post a poll here, but i can't seem to find the magical button that would add the poll to my post, sorry)

i think lennehan has the guts to do what needs to be done , unfortunatley the utterly spineless cowen will shackle lennehan from making the really unpopular descisions mainly because of union pressure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

he will play a major part in the country's recovery.

A lot will depend on whether he has the balls to push this stuff through in what would appear to be concerted opposition.

In fairness I reckon he is as good as we have for the task.

Has to be obvious that harsh measures are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I agree with you BOB, I think Brian Lenihan is probably Ok. he certainly comes out of this crisis, head up. Not a genius ,but sound
    Rugbyman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

irish_bob wrote: »
    i think lennehan has the guts to do what needs to be done , unfortunatley the utterly spineless cowen will shackle lennehan from making the really unpopular descisions mainly because of union pressure

I'd agree also.
    Lenihan has a hard task and will face criticicm no matter what he does. For every action he'll take some will scream about hitting vunerable people and some will shout it doesn't go far enough.
    As with most things, the answer is somewhere in the middle.

I reckon he can do a good job but is getting overruled by Cowen.
    He'll do as good a job as the other 165 deputies anyway

• Advertisement

As long as some other spineless gimps don't try to undermine him to save their passage to the trough of plenty.

It's starting already.!!!

As long as some other spineless gimps don't try to undermine him to save their passage to the trough of plenty.

Could you expand on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

That's assuming that implementing the reports recommendations leads to recovery?

You can't post a poll because they're not allowed in the politics forum.

well i was assuming that without implementing those recommendations we will still keep borrowing at this rate which would mean the country defaulting and the IMF or the ECB coming in...

i agree with the general opinion here, i think lenihan will have the balls to push those cuts through, hopefully he will be able to overrule cowen and some other ministers to force the cuts in. and also we'll have to see how the opposition is going to respond because FG seem to be supporting of the measures so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You all make this sound as if there were a choice.
    There is a big, gaping hole in the public finances and it has to be plugged. It is the job of the finance minister do bloody well do so.
    Seenashow the hole was opening in front of his eyes for about a year now, I fail to see how he is supposed to have done a "good job" so far as he's done very little other than fighting a raging fire by throwing thimblefulls of water at it. Changing to buckets now still won't change much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tlev

Lenihan should have resigned when it he admitted hadn't read PWC report on the loans taken out by the Anglo Director. He is an incompetant minister and is way out of his depth. As is Cowan and many more in the government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

Lenihan doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

What he and the rest of the cabinet will do is pick and chose the cuts they want to implement. As a token offering they may disband the Dept of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs but form an innovative and brand new Department For Localities, Non-Urban and Irish Speaking Areas so that Baby Dev need not get the Snip.:D

Then, having shared the pain the government will proceed to shaft the old, the poor and the sick. In order to properly focus on these moochers they will adopt Labour's suggestion for the formation of a new Department For Hardship. Mary Harney will take over a junior ministry here with responsibility for national starvation. There will also be a Min of State with responsibility for stealing sweets from Children.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

peasant wrote: »
    You all make this sound as if there were a choice.
    There is a big, gaping hole in the public finances and it has to be plugged. It is the job of the finance minister do bloody well do so.
    Seenashow the hole was opening in front of his eyes for about a year now, I fail to see how he is supposed to have done a "good job" so far as he's done very little other than fighting a raging fire by throwing thimblefulls of water at it. Changing to buckets now still won't change much.

he took out 9bn, i think, out of the economy since becoming a minister, otherwise our loan would be around 32bn...
    i didnt like lenihan particulary at the start, especially after the october budget which was really all over the place to be honest, but this year i think he's one of the few ministers who know what they are doing and how bad the situation is. plus unlike cowen he doesnt seem to be too keen to appease the unions which is good in these times.
    and you're right, he shouldnt have a choice, he should implement the whole report but we know most of the cabinet will be strongly against it

Could you expand on this?

Certainly.

Ireland Inc. is in the deepest shíte, right now.

everybody knows the 56 bn out 36 bn in equation.

However some gimps in power do not seem to have looked at reality, and seem to think that by watering down/delaying/ ignoring the evil day they might hold their job in charge of a country that is sinking down the plughole.

There is ONLY ONE SOLUTION implement the McCarthy report in full or run out of money.

In the name of God why do you want me to explain that to you Brian???

Certainly.

Ireland Inc. is in the deepest shíte, right now.

everybody knows the 56 bn out 36 bn in equation.

However some gimps in power do not seem to have looked at reality, and seem to think that by watering down/delaying/ ignoring the evil day they might hold their job in charge of a country that is sinking down the plughole.

There is ONLY ONE SOLUTION implement the McCarthy report in full or run out of money.

In the name of God why do you want me to explain that to you Brian???

That's not really explaining anything. Who are these 'spineless gimps'? In what way are they trying to get at the 'trough of plenty'? What is the 'trough of plenty'? Why do you believe that the MCarthy report should be implemented in full?

In the name of God flut, why can't you just answer a question with some proper reasoned arguments instead of random insults at non specific people and pointless rhetoric?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Apparently there have been some rumours circulating that some ministers are gearing up to discredit McCarthy and his report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

there are many items inserted in the report that the govt(i believe deliberatly inserted by the board)that will cost very little for the govt to reject,help to make the public perception seem as if Dec budget will be "not as bad as i expected"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Mario007 wrote: »
    ... this year i think he's one of the few ministers who know what they are doing and how bad the situation is.

Let's re-phrase that a bit closer to the truth:
    In comparison with our tea-shock he is indeed showing signs of life ..he's breathing and has a pulse for starters
    In comparison with the tanaiste he does indeed seem to have more than two brain cells to rub together
    In comparison with the rest of the cabinet he shines by not having a silly tache, he isn't overweight and has no ridiculous accent and when he speaks he is actually coherent most of the time.

So yes, he's a shining beacon ...in comparison.

But I'm sorry ..he doesn't know what he's doing either. If he knew, he should have done it long ago and not dither and wiggle and hope for some miraculous world-wide recovery that will carry Ireland in its wake ...which clearly aint happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

NAMA is a long way from being up and running. How much will it pay for the assets? Will Brian Lenihan try to save FF or the economy in the december budget? The backbenchers are getting restless by all accounts. Will the coalition survive that budget? It is too early to say whether Lenihan is the damned our the saviour.

That's not really explaining anything. Who are these 'spineless gimps'? In what way are they trying to get at the 'trough of plenty'? What is the 'trough of plenty'? Why do you believe that the MCarthy report should be implemented in full?

In the name of God flut, why can't you just answer a question with some proper reasoned arguments instead of random insults at non specific people and pointless rhetoric?

Have you not been listening to radio?

have you not been reading the papers?

All i'm hearing is vested interests like Unions, politicians (Eamon O Cuiv) quangos, and the Public Service bleating about how everyone needs to be cut EXCEPT THEMSELVES.

Now we have Coughlan conducting an evaluation into the inquiry by a body which the enquiry said should be axed!!!!

If that's not obfuscation and delaying tactics Brian I don't know what is.

This report should be acted on immediately Brian, 56 out 36 in with the taxpayer maxed out!!!

Don't understand your attitude to this Brian, the time for rhetoric and bulldust is long gone.

Act, in the name of God!!!

Time is running out.

Have you not been listening to radio?

have you not been reading the papers?

All i'm hearing is vested interests like Unions, politicians (Eamon O Cuiv) quangos, and the Public Service bleating about how everyone needs to be cut EXCEPT THEMSELVES.

Now we have Coughlan conducting an evaluation into the inquiry by a body which the enquiry said should be axed!!!!

If that's not obfuscation and delaying tactics Brian I don't know what is.

This report should be acted on immediately Brian, 56 out 36 in with the taxpayer maxed out!!!

Don't understand your attitude to this Brian, the time for rhetoric and bulldust is long gone.

Act, in the name of God!!!

Time is running out.

Oh I see, so you're repeating what the papers say. Do you really think the tanaiste is a spineless gimp trying to get at the trough of power? As the tanaiste she's already there, do you think for some reason she's going to cause a coup over this? Likewise O Cuiv is a minister. Is he a spineless gimp making a power grab? Unlikely. So your first statement doesn't really hold up.

Secondly why must the report be used in full, you haven't answered that. Going by the near hysterical tone of your power I doubt you really know the answer to that question, other than the papers told you so. If the time for rhetoric and bulldust is gone then perhaps you should consider cutting them from your posts. The first cut is the deepest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Secondly why must the report be used in full, you haven't answered that. Going by the near hysterical tone of your power I doubt you really know the answer to that question, other than the papers told you so. If the time for rhetoric and bulldust is gone then perhaps you should consider cutting them from your posts. The first cut is the deepest.

even mcCarthy does not expect all the cuts to be implemented...and its natural for those lined up for cuts to try and avoid them, although i notice he left out anyone from outside public sector for criticism (e.g. farmers)

I think it obvious that the report would go beyond whats expected (e.g. a 5% cut in SW) so that when lesser cuts are implemented (e.g. 3% in SW) people will be less resisitant

Riskymove wrote: »
    even mcCarthy does not expect all the cuts to be implemented...and its natural for those lined up for cuts to try and avoid them, although i notice he left out anyone from outside public sector for criticism (e.g. farmers)

I think it obvious that the report would go beyond whats expected (e.g. a 5% cut in SW) so that when lesser cuts are implemented (e.g. 3% in SW) people will be less resisitant

I don't see what farmers have to do with the current issue? But apart from that yes you're right, so that's why I want to know why flut thinks the report should be implemented in full, he's quite adamant about that. He clearly believes that cutting 17,000 jobs, sending these people to the dole queues, and taking the money they would have spent from their wages out of the economy, is a good thing. Yet after being asked twice he still hasn't told me why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Lenehin is doing ok - he got handed the worst position possible & he is really suffering a lack of competent leadership.

Cowen, is more interested in buttering us up then just coming out straight with the situation! Remember the will there wont there, about the emergency budget? Cowens incompetent attempts at playing politics were painful to watch. To my mind they showed the measure of the man. More interested in softening us up, then actually coming out straight!! The man is hideous in every sense of the word.

With regards to the McCarthy report- I don't know if it will be in lenehins hands. Like it or not NAMA is the option we have plumped for, everyone is waiting for it to be set up, before making any kind of moves - I don't see the government surving much longer after it has been set up.

I don't see what farmers have to do with the current issue? But apart from that yes you're right, so that's why I want to know why flut thinks the report should be implemented in full, he's quite adamant about that. He clearly believes that cutting 17,000 jobs, sending these people to the dole queues, and taking the money they would have spent from their wages out of the economy, is a good thing. Yet after being asked twice he still hasn't told me why.

I mentioned farmers as an example of a group outside public sector which are also trying to avoid cuts, thats all, it is not only public sector thats doing that

i should point out that there is no intention to sack/make redundant 17,000 public sector workers, its a phasing out of posts over time through "natural wastage"

Riskymove wrote: »
    I mentioned farmers as an example of a group outside public sector which are also trying to avoid cuts, thats all, it is not only public sector thats doing that

i should point out that there is no intention to sack/make redundant 17,000 public sector workers, its a phasing out of posts over time through "natural wastage"
    report wrote:
    On this basis, the Group is putting forward proposals for initial reductions in public service
    numbers of over 17,300 (inclusive of reductions of around 6,000 in the Health sector under the
    Employment Control Framework introduced in 2008). Initial reductions on this scale are the
    minimum that must be achieved.
    That doesn't suggest phasing out to me.

Oh I see, so you're repeating what the papers say. Do you really think the tanaiste is a spineless gimp trying to get at the trough of power? As the tanaiste she's already there, do you think for some reason she's going to cause a coup over this? Likewise O Cuiv is a minister. Is he a spineless gimp making a power grab? Unlikely. So your first statement doesn't really hold up.

What planet are you on Brian?

These people are IN power and trying to HOLD ON TO POWER irrespective of the obvious need to take immediate corrective action.

The time for talking is LONG GONE1.. It's ACTION time now Brian.

You strike me as one of those arrogant politicos who try to blind people with statistics, and bulldust,when the average John Q Taxpayer knows corrective action needed and needed urgently.

Lenihan at least, seems fairly convinced of the need to take action, but others in power Brian, seem to think we can go on waffling till the kyne come home.

please don't take people for idiots Brian.

That doesn't suggest phasing out to me.

nevertheless that's how it works

the general moratorium has resulted in contract staff not having contract renewed and becoming unemployed but as far as fulltime public sector posts the approach is generally through non-filling of vacanices over time

redundancies for 17,000 would cost so much as to make little sense in the short term

What planet are you on Brian?
    One where I expect a real answer when I ask a question.
    These people are IN power and trying to HOLD ON TO POWER irrespective of the obvious need to take immediate corrective action.

The time for talking is LONG GONE1.. It's ACTION time now Brian.
    EXCLAMATION AND CAPITAL LETTERS!!!! you did say that rhetoric has no place here, so why continue with it instead of using some facts to create an argument for your position?
    You strike me as one of those arrogant politicos who try to blind people with statistics, and bulldust,when the average John Q Taxpayer knows corrective action needed and needed urgently.

Lenihan at least, seems fairly convinced of the need to take action, but others in power Brian, seem to think we can go on waffling till the kyne come home.

please don't take people for idiots Brian.

I'm not an arrogant politico, thanks. If you can't even tell me what corrective actions are needed or why they all must be implemented then I'm sorry if you feel slighted but I can't take you very seriously. Honestly to claim that someone's being arrogant simply by asking you why the whole report needs to be implemented is cringeworthy. This isn't After hours flut, arguments will need to be backed up with some sort of factual evidence. Lenihan may be convinced that ACTION is needed (is that age action you're yelling about?) but I don't think he's said yet that all recommendations need to be implemented, so why do you feel that way? Please refrain from the personal remarks flut.

Its like this flut, fancy nicknames for the taxpayer works for David McWilliams and others, but only when they back up their rhetoric with something more substantial, which so far you have failed to do, and instead resorted to name calling when questioned about your position.

Now I'm well aware this isn't after hours, and after having received a warning I'm not going to rise to that bait.

Point one: Country is in dire financial condition.

Point two: Taxpayer is unable to bridge the gap which will set us on the road to recovery.

Point three: Only option therefore is to cut public spending to bridge that gap.

Point four. Govt. commissioned Colm Mccarthy to produce a report which would identify savings which would try to bridge that gap

Point five: This report has now been produced and handed over to Govt.

Point 6: they should go ahead and implement it, as otherwise, in my opinion, we will end up bankrupt.

END.

• Advertisement

Now I'm well aware this isn't after hours, and after having received a warning I'm not going to rise to that bait.

Point one: Country is in dire financial condition.

Point two: Taxpayer is unable to bridge the gap which will set us on the road to recovery.

Point three: Only option therefore is to cut public spending to bridge that gap.

Point four. Govt. commissioned Colm Mccarthy to produce a report which would identify savings which would try to bridge that gap

Point five: This report has now been produced and handed over to Govt.

Point 6: they should go ahead and implement it, as otherwise, in my opinion, we will end up bankrupt.

END.

point one: even the authors did not envisage all cuts being implemented, they are options

point two: these authors are not all-seeing, all-knowing; you don't have to agree blindly with every finding; there may be valid reasons for not doing somethings; they are only looking at it from economic viewpoint

Advertisement