Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you be happy with crouch

Options
  • 19-07-2009 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I would not he no better than pav.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I would not he no better than pav.

I have my doubts about Pavluychenko, on two occasions last season he went down rather easily with injuries early on in the game, the second one I am convinced he exaggerated the extent of his injury because he didn't fancy playing on the day (in the 1-1 draw with Pompey at WHL)

I think Pav will come good this season, his season started in April last year which had to have an effect on him, plus he's been adjusting to a new culture.

That said, Crouch is a good player, and he's formed a good partnership with Defoe in the past. Redknapp obviously rates him, and if we can get him infor less than we get for Pav then it makes sense on all counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Crouch is a big dangly lampost of a man but in saying that I reckon most oppostion defences find him very hard work to play against.

He would definitely add a different element to our play, which would need some work in adapting to.

If we do buy him then it would be kind of going back to the BMJ philosphy on strikers being Big Man-Little man up front.

His goal tally of 16 for Pompey last season was probably interrupted after we took Defoe away from Fratton Park, so who knows maybe he could improve significantly on that with us (given the right service).

The jury's out on this one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭realmadrid

He adds a diff dynamic up front. Think he will be success. Good signing by a savvy manager

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

no...i think we can sign a lot better than that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Joycee

I think with no European football and no mega-rich sugar Daddy like City have (which I seriously prefer), this is the calibre of player we can attract this season. I think we could do a whole lot worse.. Sell Bent, and we would have Defoe, Crouch, Keane and Pav to choose from for the most in form partnership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

NO , he's 6 ft 7 and closes his eyes heading the ball , theres a reason why we sold him al those years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

NO , he's 6 ft 7 and closes his eyes heading the ball , theres a reason why we sold him al those years ago
    No way, I don't think he'd be a good addition. He'd cost around £12m and he's no better than the strikers we have already. Surely we can do better.

Wonder what's happening with Bentley, Bent, Pav, Bale, Jenas, Keane, Chimbonda, Dos Santos, Taarabt, Hudlestone and the Scottish right back?

I think we need to get rid of them all but it looks like nobody is interested. :o

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

ruiseal wrote: »
    no...i think we can sign a lot better than that!

I have to agree with this, or at least hope that we can sign a lot better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

If we had the ambitions of portsmouth, then yes I would be happy with Crouch. Fortunately I think the club wants to aim a little higher, as evident by Mr Levys stadium plans. Peter Crouch as tall as he is will not take us to the heights we want to go, he is a proven average player and consistantly average at that. In Pav, Bent, Keane and Defoe we have four partner strikers, they are not leaders of the frontline and they are not worldclass. Crouch is no better and buying him does not advance the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I dont thing signing Crouch would be a forward move by the club in fairness,might as well keep Bent if thats the way we're thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

i'm caught in two minds tbh,

Lets say he sells bent and brings in crouch we'll prob end up about even or maybe down a couple of million. I have never been sold on bent and i can't see much more from pav either. I think to have any major hope of a top 6 finish we need to bring in someone special. If we flog one of the other two and bring in crouch i say no harm we'll know we will prob get 15 odd goals out of him.

I'd love for it to transpire that the reason we've been so quiet is the arry is landing a massive coup and we a world class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I hate Crouch. I have always hated him. He is gangly and uncouth, has no subtlety about him and doesnt do a good robot impression.

But goddamn it, the main reason I hate him is because he keeps scoring even though I want him not to. He has actually got some skills on the ball, he is good in the air, he can hold the ball up, and damn it to hell, he can actually pass it!

IM bored of having PSB swinging around the midfield, I wish hed fcuk off up the pitch and learn to score in a one on one situation, instead of clogging up right where an atting midfielder should be playing.

I think Id rather have crouchie than PSB. I actually think him and bent, or him and defoe, or him and pav would be good combinations.

Lets sell PSB back to Liverpool for 30mil this time!

I hate Crouch. I have always hated him. He is gangly and uncouth, has no subtlety about him and doesnt do a good robot impression.

But goddamn it, the main reason I hate him is because he keeps scoring even though I want him not to. He has actually got some skills on the ball, he is good in the air, he can hold the ball up, and damn it to hell, he can actually pass it!

IM bored of having PSB swinging around the midfield, I wish hed fcuk off up the pitch and learn to score in a one on one situation, instead of clogging up right where an atting midfielder should be playing.

I think Id rather have crouchie than PSB. I actually think him and bent, or him and defoe, or him and pav would be good combinations.

Lets sell PSB back to Liverpool for 30mil this time!
    What's PSB? Bad news, Sunderland have pulled out of the Crouch deal so it looks like he's coming to WHL? I doubt Fulham can afford him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hmmm, well if he signs and starts scoring goals I'll quickly change my tune. I just don't see him as being much of an improvement over what we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

el diablo wrote: »
    What's PSB?

Pointy Shouty Bloke?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

ruiseal wrote: »
    Pointy Shouty Bloke?

Pretty Sh!te Bricklayer?

And my Fav:

Probable Season Benchwarmer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Looks nailed on that Crouch is leaving pompey. No doubts that his favoured destination is WHL, although Fulham are very keen. Harry probably waiting to offload Bent before he makes an official move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

Harry would only move for Crouch if it was on our terms & he was a bargain. He's not good enough to pay over-the-odds for. Also i don't want to see us just gift Bent away - he scored 20+ goals every where else (even with Charlton!) - he's just never had a proper run of games with us to get his sharpness & goal-touch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Sorry fellas, but I don't see how anyone can compare Bent with Crouch!
    Crouch can hold the ball up, lay off good balls and makes the opposition defence panic (All good for Defoe)
    Bent has sod all first touch and is only suited to counter-attacking play, where his speed is useful.

On the other-hand you could say Crouch is a lanky bean-pole with zero movement making him extremly easy & predictable to defend against. The fact that Sunderland & Fulham are in the running to sign him just about says it all.

Neither Crouch or Bent are top-class, but at least Bent can stretch a defence, has great pace and as i said scored 20+ goals a season when given a decent run at previous clubs, we have not seen the best of him at all.

• Advertisement

I don't want him and will be annoyed if Harry pays 12m+ for him. I don't think he's any better than Bent.

I'm glad we didn't buy Downing. He'll be an expensive flop at Villa. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

el diablo wrote: »

I'm glad we didn't buy Downing. He'll be an expensive flop at Villa. :p

i totally agree.as much as i dont rate crotch(not a typo) i think he is by far better value for money than downing no matter what we pay for him. ithink crouch will do ok but im not a big fan of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 skibbyid

weve seen it all before.four minutes into extra time ,one nil up and defending a free kick or corner id like to see crouchy with his height in the box ,might be better than relying on gomes and his stupid mistakes,just my view:)

skibbyid wrote: »
    weve seen it all before.four minutes into extra time ,one nil up and defending a free kick or corner id like to see crouchy with his height in the box ,might be better than relying on gomes and his stupid mistakes,just my view:)
    My overall conclusion with Crouch (having read everyone's views) is that he'll be useful to the team with his height and team-play, he'll get a few goals & its also good we got him on the cheap given todays inflated market prices.

The opposing view is that he won't improve much, if at all, last seasons front-line and hence given there have been no other meaningful signings this summer, we can only look forward to 6th at the very best. (unless we have an incredible start to the season & momentum carries us through).

I suppose what your hoping for is Harry to put together a proper balanced team this year (which may include someone like Crouch), finish 6th, and push on next summer for a proper challenge 2010/11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭John W

My overall conclusion with Crouch (having read everyone's views) is that he'll be useful to the team with his height and team-play, he'll get a few goals & its also good we got him on the cheap given todays inflated market prices.

The opposing view is that he won't improve much, if at all, last seasons front-line and hence given there have been no other meaningful signings this summer, we can only look forward to 6th at the very best. (unless we have an incredible start to the season & momentum carries us through).

I suppose what your hoping for is Harry to put together a proper balanced team this year (which may include someone like Crouch), finish 6th, and push on next summer for a proper challenge 2010/11.
    I believe that is the plan!! and if we finish 6th, I for one will be very happy with that! The idea is to make progress, and that is progress:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 skibbyid

:) i would be happy with sixth,were not top a top four club,but sixth and doing the gooners home and away this season,oh happy days

Advertisement