Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convert pre-2005 speedometer from miles to KM?

• 19-07-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I'm looking at buying a 2002 or 2003 car soon and would like to know if it's possible (and feasible) to covert or change the existing speedometer, which would be in miles, to a KM speedometer.

Has anyone here done that (I can't find a relevant post, never mind thread, but apologies if I missed one)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on the car, for some cars you can get replacement dial faces in either km or mph. try www.visual-performance.co.uk or www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk to see if your car's covered.

your car will already have kmph in smaller writing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

I changed the clocks in mu car to a Kmph ones from a German R32,it was expensive enough due to the fact the were from an R32 and had a full Height computer.

Normal clocks from a standard or medium spec car from a country like Germany shouldn't cost that much,the main thing is getting them coded to your car,that is where the costs can go up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

depends on the car though. on some (older asian stuff) it could be just a case of swapping the dial face with that of another car. odometer would still be in miles.

what's a height computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Hobo Sapiens

colm_mcm wrote: »
    depends on the car, for some cars you can get replacement dial faces in either km or mph. try www.visual-performance.co.uk or www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk to see if your car's covered.

Great links, Colm, thanks. They don't offer exactly what I'm seeking, but I'll ask them if they can make the speedo to order.
    your car will already have kmph in smaller writing

Yes, I know, but that would take some getting used to because my current car is a Dutch import and shows KM only. Ideally, I'd like the same setup on my next car (but don't want to spend on a 2005+ model).

depends on the car though. on some (older asian stuff) it could be just a case of swapping the dial face with that of another car. odometer would still be in miles.

Sorry its just the display in the middle on the Mk4 golf/bora there is 3 options no computer,half height and full height,I need a full height to retro fit my Kufatec boost gauge,which reminds i must get the finger out :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Buy a jap import of any age if you want the km clocks!

mickdw wrote: »
    Buy a jap import of any age if you want the km clocks!

Nice easy and cheap fix there Mick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

tossy wrote: »
    Nice easy and cheap fix there Mick :D

I was behind a Jap import Audi today. And no, not one with just a square number plate. This had the name of the dealer in Japan on a sticker in the back window (same dealer sold an Integra I had a few years ago).
    colm_mcm wrote:
    Fancy name for a measuring tape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Whats all this about paying money to have your speedo changed to kms?
    They don't offer exactly what I'm seeking, but I'll ask them if they can make the speedo to order.

Seriously, just as you got used to kms, you will get used to mph as well.

Just remember;
    120k = 75mph
    100k = 60mph
    80k = 50
    60k = 40
    50k = 30

Bobs your uncle.

Plus, would you not be sending out alarm bells to future buyers by dismantling your dash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I changed the face on an E34 when I had it. Bought a km speedo from ebay Germany and swapped them over. It took about 20 mins to change them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

buy a cheap sat nav that tells you the speed your going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I wouldn't bother myself to be honest as I preferred the dual MPH/Km in my old 02 Passat. If anything I'd rather change my KM-only one now for the "older" type as (especially as we share a border with a country that still uses MPH) I think it's better to have both measurements listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Whats all this about paying money to have your speedo changed to kms?

Seriously, just as you got used to kms, you will get used to mph as well.

Just remember;
    120k = 75mph
    100k = 60mph
    80k = 50
    60k = 40
    50k = 30

Bobs your uncle.

Plus, would you not be sending out alarm bells to future buyers by dismantling your dash?

Wouldn't bother to be honest I was driving motorcycles for year in KPH when MPH was the order of the day. was weird when the change came especially when a few road familar roads changed from 60mph to 60kph. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Delta Kilo wrote: »

Cant see how. People seem to have a thing about the dash and not touching it. It's no different than taking any part off.

I've had the dash apart in every car I've owned. A crap load of dirt gathers in and around the clocks. There was a huge amount of ash in there in a van I owned too.

You'd never know I had any of them out either.

Advertisement