Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predator 3 / Predators (epic merge)

Options
  • 30-01-2009 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Rumor: Robert Rodriguez to Producer Predator Reboot?

5pn15k.jpg

Rumor has it that 20th Century Fox is developing a Predator reboot with Robert Rodriguez and Troublemaker Studios in the producers chair. This according to Bloody Disgusting’s reliable sources, who also claim that the idea is for the film follow a team of commandos who must face a mysterious race of vicious monsters. That’s right, not just one Predator, but a whole group. That change alone is sure to cause fanboys to throw a hissy.

I’d be more excited if Rodriguez was personally attached to direct, but his upcoming slate is pretty damn full already, and it seems very unlikely. Also, no writer has been hired to pen a screenplay yet, which means this project must be at the earliest stages of development.

Seriously I laughed when I should have despaired. What's next? An Alien reboot? Then Alien -v- Predator reboot?:pac::pac::pac:

Another example of unimaginative and unoriginal Hollywood writers and studios.
    Tagged:

Comments

Yep, it seems like every film these days is either being remade or "rebooted".

Read a good joke a couple of years ago that Mark Wahlberg is to star in a remake of his first film... :D

I think sometimes though, this new concept of "rebooting" works, if the series has grown stale and a good director and his team can squeeze new life out of it or look at the subject matter from a different angle - take the excellent "Batman" reboot as an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Does this mean Alien Versus Predator 3: In Space! has been cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Yep, it seems like every film these days is either being remade or "rebooted".

Read a good joke a couple of years ago that Mark Wahlberg is to star in a remake of his first film... :D

I think sometimes though, this new concept of "rebooting" works, if the series has grown stale and a good director and his team can squeeze new life out of it or look at the subject matter from a different angle - take the excellent "Batman" reboot as an example.

Certainly agreed. In this case though, Bloody Disgusting are suggesting that instead of one mysterious alien picking off one-by-one a group of hard as nails commandos, it's going to be a numbers game. I think that kind of betrays the uriginal concept and takes away the suspense. A bunch of humans -v- a bunch of predators? I know where my money would be!:D:pac:

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I know where my money would be!:D:pac:

Yep - on Arnie!!! :D:D:D

Maybe they could take a completely different take on it - one human (Arnie) vs. a load of Predators. After all "he works alone...!" :D

And yeah, I do agree, the whole idea of Predator was that it was one alien who was easily capable of taking on multiple humans...

Yep - on Arnie!!! :D:D:D

Maybe they could take a completely different take on it - one human (Arnie) vs. a load of Predators. After all "he works alone...!" :D

And yeah, I do agree, the whole idea of Predator was that it was one alien who was easily capable of taking on multiple humans...

That's a good idea, it certainly puts fresh suspense in the plot.

I wonder who could take up the role of Dutch. If you want to keep "tradition" The Rock could be a good candidate. But if they wanted to have a more sleaker Dutch, the man of the moment Christian Bale would be interesting too (but I doubt he'd sign up for another franchise). I'd love to see Jaoquin Phoenix give it a stab too, if he gives up this hip-hop malark that is!:pac:

• Advertisement

A reboot. Say it isn't so. Completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭charlie1966

Let me do a rewrite. How about Predator V Terminator. The Pretator comes to Earth to kick the $h!t out of Skynet for destroying their supply of fresh meat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How are they going to better Blaine's M134 ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

I'm one of the original movies biggest fans (prob my all time favourite movie) and this 'reboot' sounds fcukin' dumb. A team of commando's against a rake of Yautja's?! How's that going to work? Are they going to take longer to kill the the soldiers than in the original? Really, there's no contest, soldiers would be wiped out in a few mins.

And they can't possibley capture the tension that the original had, we all know what'll be stalking them so the mystique won't be there and especially if there's a load of them.

Having said that, I do trust the studio (I don't know why) to come up with something decent and the fact that RR is producing (though I'd like to see him directing) is something at least. He actually wrote a script for Predator 3 set a few hundred years ago I think, that or on a ship, Mary Celeste-like (after the Predator does his rounds).

Anyway, here's to looking forward to more Predators on the big screen! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Galvasean wrote: »
    Does this mean Alien Versus Predator 3: In Space! has been cancelled?

in space how does that work preds can run battelships in space, aliens... can't?

• Advertisement

That's a good idea, it certainly puts fresh suspense in the plot.

I wonder who could take up the role of Dutch. If you want to keep "tradition" The Rock could be a good candidate. But if they wanted to have a more sleaker Dutch, the man of the moment Christian Bale would be interesting too (but I doubt he'd sign up for another franchise). I'd love to see Jaoquin Phoenix give it a stab too, if he gives up this hip-hop malark that is!:pac:

The Rock would be an awful choice. Christian Bale/JP would be ideal, they can come across as vulnerable, Arnie never did really, so I think that'd be interesting. Thank God they're not talking about John Cena like a few months back!

Mickey Rourke for Blain! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    I'm one of the original movies biggest fans (prob my all time favourite movie) and this 'reboot' sounds fcukin' dumb. A team of commando's against a rake of Yautja's?! How's that going to work? Are they going to take longer to kill the the soldiers than in the original? Really, there's no contest, soldiers would be wiped out in a few mins.

And they can't possibley capture the tension that the original had, we all know what'll be stalking them so the mystique won't be there and especially if there's a load of them.

Having said that, I do trust the studio (I don't know why) to come up with something decent and the fact that RR is producing (though I'd like to see him directing) is something at least. He actually wrote a script for Predator 3 set a few hundred years ago I think, that or on a ship, Mary Celeste-like (after the Predator does his rounds).

Anyway, here's to looking forward to more Predators on the big screen! :D

me too , a fu**ing awesome movie , along with die hard , the best movie ive ever seen in terms of pacing , better than die hard perhaps

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't understand this kind of remake, I really don't; surely it would be cheaper & thus generate far more profit if the production company just digitally remastered the picture & then rereleased the originals into the cinemas.

Just on reputation alone Predator is big enough to get away with an international rerelease. Hell, I would happily pay into the cinemas to see it on the big screen, but a remake? Ha, collect your coat and get the hell outta here I say.

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    The Rock would be an awful choice. Christian Bale/JP would be ideal, they can come across as vulnerable, Arnie never did really, so I think that'd be interesting. Thank God they're not talking about John Cena like a few months back!

Mickey Rourke for Blain! :D

I don't know, I mean I think The Rock gets a raw deal. There was a sequence of roles where he was getting better and better to the point where people were tipping him to be the next big "action man" of Hollywood. But he has a picked a number of stinkers as of late. He's certainly a better choice than Cena!:D

Rourke for Blain would be good. I think Don Cheadle would be an interesting Mac. He could certainly deliver the famous "I'm gonna have me some fun" line anyway.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Noooooooooooooooooooo!

One of the best action/thrillers ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I hear similar rumours about Robocop:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Let me do a rewrite. How about Predator V Terminator. The Pretator comes to Earth to kick the $h!t out of Skynet for destroying their supply of fresh meat.

It happened. Browsing wiki i found alien vs predator vs terminator. Some comic tie in thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Pointless. Predator was perfect the way it was. Why not just make a Predator 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Sounds interesting, have always wanted to see a good remake or new installment in the predator series since Predator 2 wasnt that great and the AVP series is god awful.

Never understood why people get so bothered by remakes, it's not going to affect the original so whats there to complain about? If it's crap then it's crap, which will just help highlight how good the original was :)

I don't know, I mean I think The Rock gets a raw deal. There was a sequence of roles where he was getting better and better to the point where people were tipping him to be the next big "action man" of Hollywood. But he has a picked a number of stinkers as of late. He's certainly a better choice than Cena!:D

Rourke for Blain would be good. I think Don Cheadle would be an interesting Mac. He could certainly deliver the famous "I'm gonna have me some fun" line anyway.:pac:

Love Don Cheadle. He'd be good alright. Or would he be a better Dillon?

• Advertisement

I hear similar rumours about Robocop:(

That's definitely happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Hang on, as was said already we all know what pred looks like, the suspence is gone. It has to be replaced by a good script.

They have to take pred into the future a mix of pred 1 with aliens 2 or 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

in space how does that work preds can run battelships in space, aliens... can't?

The end of AVP2
    had a sort of hint/teaser that the next one would be in space, or another planet at least... think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

ryoishin wrote: »

They have to take pred into the future a mix of pred 1 with aliens 2 or 4.

Agreed, they need to take it into the future, that is what the Terminator franchise did in an attempt to save it and it would have been the best place for AVP to have been set.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

I dunno a lot about the huge mythology out there - but there are a lot of books and comics and so on related to the Predator 'franchise' - surely one good story exists instead of a simple remake?

As others have said, with the suspense of the original gone, and with Predator 2 already going over similar territory but setting up the idea that the military are now aware of the Predators the next logical step would be to ramp it up into a different type of movie and not try and recover the same territory in the same way as before. (This would hold even if you wanted to take account of the AvP plotlines and the tie in to the Alien universe)

Okay, I know this isn't a fan-fiction forum, but just as an example of how easy it is to draft a(n admittedly poor) plot outline for this type of movie in 5 minutes: Start with a standard mislead - i.e. set it up to look like a Predator 2-crossed-with-Aliens Resurrection rip-off; have a civilian rescue crew respond to a distress call from a marine spaceship. When they get on-board, the find the crew dead and multilated, but have no idea what's going on (not in on secret of Predators). They don't start getting killed until they arm themselves out of fear. Have one of them half-figure out what going on before the ship(and rescue crew) is blown out of the sky by another 'unknown' ship (this occurs in first 15 mins of movie). Change to an all-out war between the Predators and humans on some unknown planet... except is this an all-out war? Marines are under-equipped for some reason and getting slaughtered and reduced into isolated pockets because of it. In short, recapture some of the spirit of the original by making it apparent that there's something else affecting the ability of the marines to fight and defend themselves. This time, though, put in a twist; reveal the Predators are also losing men, in ways equally as elaborate and cruel as the humans. Introduce a third player into the mix who's targeting both sides... but it's not another race it's..... (pretty obvious)...

I'll take my €1 million in script fees now, Mr. Rodriguez.... and not a Spanish Galleon in sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭oldboy

Man I can't take anymore heartbreak this better be good

somebody just make a good film for the franchise pleaseeeeeeeeee or im giving up

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40865

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭deathstarkiller

Oooh please please be good

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Excellent stuff. I put all faith into Robert Rodriguez.

Advertisement