Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Predator 3 / Predators (epic merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Just saw Predators tonight, views:

I really liked the casting of Adrien Brody. If you had have put osme massive lumbering muscle bound monster in the lead there would have been far too many references to Arnie which could never be equalled. Brody did enough to remain convincing in the lead and had some good one liners.

Danny Trejo in playing angry Mexican mercenary shocker.

**Spoiler heavy from here on in so don't read if you haven't seen it!**
    I liked the way it tried to reference to the first one but I think it took a little bit too much from it. Take the Characters for example:

Dutch - Royce
    Anna - Isabelle (She even looked like her!)
    Blain - Nikolai
    Billy - Yakuza Guy + Black guy bundled together, Superstitious and one-on-one Predator battle.

I thought the story was good and done at a fairly decent pace, there was some decent humour and some darker moments too. Really liked the scene when they come across Danny Trejo 'calling for help' and Royce recognises it as a trap.

Also though when Royce led the rest of them into the trap in the death camp so he could lure the Predators in was pretty awesome, you knew right away he wasn't your typical good guy and all he wanted was to get off the Planet (bit of a resemblence to Riddick in Pitch Black, would do anything to save his own skin but came back to save the girl in the end) and I thought it was bad ass when he goes:

"What the hell are you?!" - massive flashback to my childhood and seeing Predator for the first time.

Duel between Pred and Yakuza dude - awesome.

Topher Grace was good but from the moment he stepped on screen and said he was a doctor I turned to my girlfriend and said he was a murderer. It was massively obvious and he stuck out like a sore thumb, he was good in the role though.

The ending SUCKED. Absolutely hated it, absolutely no closure and just a stupid attempted bad ass one-liner. You think they'd go straight for all the new falling humans so they could gather everyone up to be ready when the next batch of Preds rocks up.

I enjoyed it overall despite a few bad points, 7/10.

They took out my favourite scene fomr the trailer though where about 15 laser sights pop up on Royce, they cut it off at one :(

Couple of questions now:
    When the thing from the crate is chasing Grace; and Isabelle goes to shoot it and it falls, just before they meet Fishburne, what exactly was wrong with it if she missed? Did Fishburne kill it with a blade or something?

How did Isabelle know about Dutch's team getting slaughtered?

Why exactly did the big Preds have the smaller Pred tied up? Surely if they are at was with each other they would just kill it instead of risking it getting free? Also if they're at war with each other how do they have time to go off on hunts?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Royce didnt have a clue how to fly an alien spaceship yet was able to set it to autopilot and get off the ship in time
    THe Pred he set free set it for him.
    Isabelle could take down a 'dog' with one well place shot but Nikolai had to empty half a belt of bullets from a minigun??
    I had a feeling Nikolai kept missing it as everything around it was disintegrating.

End Credits starting with Long Tall Sally
    made me smile

That was awesome alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Didn't the Predator set the destination? Hence Royce rushing to make the ship before it took off.

Waay too much thinking involved here but....
    I thought about that too, if he was able to set it from off the ship, surely their computers would be sophisticated enough to detect that the 'person' who set the course isnt onboard so wait for them.

The counter argument would be that the Predator would always want to stay and fight for his honour but I do think that the ship was on standby waiting for further instructions either way and Royce did look like he was about to board it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Frisbee wrote: »

Couple of questions now:
    When the thing from the crate is chasing Grace; and Isabelle goes to shoot it and it falls, just before they meet Fishburne, what exactly was wrong with it if she missed? Did Fishburne kill it with a blade or something?
    yep, Fishburne killed it, how is never revealed, but assumed he shot it with his own pred gun
    How did Isabelle know about Dutch's team getting slaughtered?
    she's spec ops, specifically isreali which are quite chummy with US spec ops in the way of joint operations, intel would have been shared, which she says when she tells the story, that she read a report of a spec op team
    Why exactly did the big Preds have the smaller Pred tied up? Surely if they are at was with each other they would just kill it instead of risking it getting free? Also if they're at war with each other how do they have time to go off on hunts?
    fishburne touched on it as a bloodfued, more like clans beating down on each other rather then actual all out war, I'd assumed he was a trophy by the black preds and it would be much more dishonourable for him and his clan to be kept alive then to be killed, though a pred skull was shown on the ground so he may have been intended to be killed at the end of the hunt. Another theory might be he was tied up for some sort of disobedeance considering he was able to command their ship it might mean he was part of their group, but fishburne says that only 3 come at a time

other niggle
    is it really that short between hunts? the way fishborne talked about seasons I assumed each hunter lasted a few months at least, but the ending has a new one starting straight away, did new preds arrive that quickly or were the same ones expected to hunt the new prey aswell. Going by fishburne, they should have been new preds arriving, but it was all rather sudden

Dutch - Royce
    Anna - Isabelle (She even looked like her!)
    Blain - Nikolai
    Billy - Yakuza Guy + Black guy bundled together, Superstitious and one-on-one Predator battle.

Thats reminds me, when the Yakuza guy just stops and nods for them to run on, I thought straight away, Billy on the ****ing bridge!! :rolleyes:

The duel was excellent with a good finish imo

Topher Grace was good but from the moment he stepped on screen and said he was a doctor I turned to my girlfriend and said he was a murderer. It was massively obvious and he stuck out like a sore thumb, he was good in the role though.

I couldnt actually figure out why he was there, he did stick out for me but the penny didnt drop that he was a sexual predator. They kept hinting that everyone was picked because they were a predator and the penny wouldnt drop with me. :o

They took out my favourite scene fomr the trailer though where about 15 laser sights pop up on Royce, they cut it off at one :(

I was waiting for that too. I hate when they cut scenes for the the trailer or just do scenes knowing that they are just for the trailer and its obvious

THe Pred he set free set it for him.

I know the predator set it for him but I think the ship was on standby and he still have to push a few buttons onboard

I had a feeling Nikolai kept missing it as everything around it was disintegrating.

But that would suggest that the Predators picked weak game, dont they usually go for the best they can find?

Anyone reading this thread and not seen it will be annoyed about all the spoiler talk :pac:

on tobher grace
    I assumed initially he was there because the predator wanted to hunt a group, hence everyone fitted a different role, you had the long range hitter with an IDF sniper, close range melee with the con, you had a leader with royce two mid range gunners with south african and mexican and an assassin with the yakuza and Tobher was to be a medic for the team. I was expecting the scene with the flower to reconfirm this, but when he started going on about neurotoxins I suddenly clicked...DEXTER!

too much Team Fortress 2 for me that I put everyone in classess

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    yep, Fishburne killed it, how is never revealed, but assumed he shot it with his own pred gun
    THat's what I assumed but all the Pred guns are energy weapons, surely we would have seen/heard it go off. Also what were the things in the crates? Just an upgraded version of the dogs?

she's spec ops, specifically isreali which are quite chummy with US spec ops in the way of joint operations, intel would have been shared, which she says when she tells the story, that she read a report of a spec op team
    I know she said she read the report but you'd think that's the kind of thing US Intelligence would keep to itself. Fair enough though, not that big a deal.
    fishburne touched on it as a bloodfued, more like clans beating down on each other rather then actual all out war, I'd assumed he was a trophy by the black preds and it would be much more dishonourable for him and his clan to be kept alive then to be killed, though a pred skull was shown on the ground so he may have been intended to be killed at the end of the hunt. Another theory might be he was tied up for some sort of disobedeance considering he was able to command their ship it might mean he was part of their group, but fishburne says that only 3 come at a time

Again, makes sense
    other niggle
    is it really that short between hunts? the way fishborne talked about seasons I assumed each hunter lasted a few months at least, but the ending has a new one starting straight away, did new preds arrive that quickly or were the same ones expected to hunt the new prey aswell. Going by fishburne, they should have been new preds arriving, but it was all rather sudden
    I though this too, but then I was thinking. In Pred 1 the Predator goes through the Generals men and then nearly all of Dutch's team in a matter of days. No matter how good the prey the drop on the world the Preds (especially three of them with homefield advantage, hunting dogs and traps) should do away with a group that size in a few days. The way I took it was that each 'season' was made up of several hunts of different groups, probably from different planets.

THat's what I assumed but all the Pred guns are energy weapons, surely we would have seen/heard it go off. Also what were the things in the crates? Just an upgraded version of the dogs?

nope
    they were other species that were being hunted as prey

I thought this aswell. How long would you typically have to be isolated to start loosing your marbles like he did. Possibly that they are expected to finish that round in one day and be ready for the next wave? Noland did say that he survived 'seasons' and you wouldnt class one day of hunting as a season, ever!
    on tobher grace
    I assumed initially he was there because the predator wanted to hunt a group, hence everyone fitted a different role, you had the long range hitter with an IDF sniper, close range melee with the con, you had a leader with royce two mid range gunners with south african and mexican and an assassin with the yakuza and Tobher was to be a medic for the team. I was expecting the scene with the flower to reconfirm this, but when he started going on about neurotoxins I suddenly clicked...DEXTER!

too much Team Fortress 2 for me that I put everyone in classess

I did think along the lines of the medic of the group or a person that slows down the group and they were waiting for 'the game' to ditch him. Kind of a point where they know that the game is ready to be hunted and not just lost sheep pining for home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Pretty much thought he was the medic of the group from the inception. I didn't see that twist coming at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I liked it. recommended. 7/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pretty bad, good actors, could have made it sooooo much better. And also trailer just was not in the film. I hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

re: seasons
    I suppose I season only ends when all of the prey* or the preds are killed. Theres probably a constant stream of prey/new preds on standby to come in whenever the season ends.
    *Fishbourne's character was probably an exception, having evaded for so long that he was delaying the hunts so they continued on without catching him. I like the idea that he is a sort of legendary piece of game / bonus thing to hunt if you are really hardcore.
    Fishbourne did say he spent his first three seasons trying to find the preserve's perimiter. That implies a season can last a long time. Three days is hardly long enough to determine taht the whole planet is the preserve.

Another thing:
    Will that funky cricket man who chaced grace through the jungle become the Space Jockey of a newgeneration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

pretty bad, good actors, could have made it sooooo much better. And also trailer just was not in the film. I hate that.

That pees me off no end

Alternate (and unfilmed) ending here.

All I can say is "fapfapfapfapfapfapfap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Galvasean wrote: »

Thank God they didn't go with that. It would have made absolutely zero sense whatsoever and would have just been a cameo for the sake of a cameo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Galvasean wrote: »

Not too sure whether I like that idea or not. Would have made a cool visual but makes no sense as the comments point out since the Predator murdered all of Dutch's squad.

The comment about the human Predators actually provides an idea for what could be an interesting sequel. Kill off Isabelle, have Royce survive for a few seasons ( maybe kill another predator and steal the armour) before being captured and put through the Predator trials*. Then taking part in the war between the two predator clans all the while searching for a way home.

*Unless said trials involve hunting Xenomorphs because we all know where that leads.

human predator has been an idea that the comics played with quite a bit, honestly it sort of works and sort of doesnt and chances are you are more likely to piss people off with it then anything else...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wouldnt mind it but they would make a hames of it

the trailer part not being in the film pisses me off, I hate when they do that so much. /repeat

could they also make the dialogue a bit better...I could jsut say what everybody was going to say before they said it.

story was so easy to improve upon too. that said, still enjoyed it, saved by enjoying the actors and having predators in it I suppose...even if they ruin them a bit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just saw it and muchly enjoyed it. I think a large part of this was from only seeing the trailer once or twice and not letting myself getting sucked into any pre-release hype, but from reading this thread it does seem a few people are...let's say a tad more nostalgic than I am for the original film.

I liked Predators, because to me it seemed to be made by people who'd correctly worked out what I enjoyed about Predator and made a new film with those elements present in a new story. I reckon it might even age as well as the first one did.

the trailer part not being in the film pisses me off, I hate when they do that so much. /repeat

Same
    THe scene in the dust storm where about 20 laser targets pop up on Brody looked awesome in the trailer, was devastated they cut it out.

• Advertisement

Same
    THe scene in the dust storm where about 20 laser targets pop up on Brody looked awesome in the trailer, was devastated they cut it out.

That's exactly what pissed me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

It seems its also pissing off a lot of people.

It doesnt bother me in the slightest, it just added some " holy ****" to the trailer, if you look theres no way to incorporate that into the film really.

Really enjoyed it and considering going back for seconds. Big Predator fan and feel safe knowing it was not as good as predator 1, but I enjoyed it much more then predator 2 ( which I thought, was terrible) and its miles better then AVP series.

I thought the cast was great and well chosen. I particularly enjoyed Walton Goggins, was looking forward to seeing him when I heard he was cast as an inmate and he didn't dissapoint.
    The Doctor thing I knew something big was coming, watched an interview with the director talking about the character so I assumed he would use the toxins on the predators and be an unlikely hero, what happend was shocking, shockingly bad and was completely un neccesary

The tops and nods to the original were good. I loved having the original soundtrack back and obviously end credits gave me a big lol. However some of the tumble dried one liners and old quotes didnt fit in and felt a bit cringe worthy.

Laurence Fishburnes includance was also ridiculous,and they could have had absolutley anyone else do it. They made a big deal about him being in it, and I wish he kinda wasnt, it was a cheap way to unravel some plotlines, wasted big time (This was originally ment to be Arnies cameo, but after he pulled out, I assumed this is the quick script change that was done)

(The link above said to be Arnies real cameo was confirmed by the director as not true, although an interesting concept, Fishburnes character was originally ment to be Dutch)

I liked the characters, I liked the whole thing. Few niggly bits here and there but nothing to over shadow the experience. The ending was a bit ****, but I could forgive.

Now I've to just sit back and wait for Alien prequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I saw it earlier and left the cinema kind of disappointed. It was a decent enough film but it had that potential to be so much better!
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Laurence Fishburnes includance was also ridiculous,and they could have had absolutley anyone else do it. They made a big deal about him being in it, and I wish he kinda wasnt, it was a cheap way to unravel some plotlines, wasted big time (This was originally ment to be Arnies cameo, but after he pulled out, I assumed this is the quick script change that was done)

I thought Fishburne's character was terribly acted and he looked way to chubby for a guy living on scraps. I would have liked to have seen Danny Glover reprise his role as it would have made sense since
    he killed a Predator on their spacecraft at the end of Predator 2
    making his appearance nostalgic and somewhat believable IMO.

RE: the trailer being different from the movie:
    I'm kinda glad that the bit with about 12 targeters on Brody wasn't in the actual film. Having about 20 Predators hunt down ten humans isn't exactly what I'd call fair game.
    I also like how the trailer made it look like the convict guy was killed by a preddog, when in fact he wasn't. That was a nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Agree with the above.
    Only the black guy and possibly the mexican guy went out like punks, everyone else died like champs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 pr0

I quite liked it , better than 2 worse than 1.
    People are annoyed about how they kill 3 super preds but , the super preds underestimated them AND the humans knew what they were facing unlike arnies group.

pr0 wrote: »
    People are annoyed about how they kill 3 super preds but , the super preds underestimated them AND the humans knew what they were facing unlike arnies group.

In addition I remember reading somewhere, probably a comic book source, that Predators have to pass a lot of tests in order to be allowed go to other planets (like Earth) for a hunt. If that's true then the Preds in 1&2 were seasoned pros who probably went through a few seasons on the game preserve planet in order to earn the right to go hunting elsewhere. The Preds from AVP are meant to be rookies. Apparently you have to fight aliens/xenomorphs before you get to fight humans. The Pred in AVP2 would have been even more experienced than those seen in 1&2, sort of a spec ops Predator.
    So I'm thinking the Predator ranking system goes something like:
    - 'Bootcamp' where you fight xenos as part of a team (as seen in AVP).
    - 'Game preserve' where you fight a mixture of prey items as part of a group (as seen in Predators).
    - 'Safari' where you go to a far away and hostile planet to hunt prey on your own (as seen in Predator 1&2).
    - 'Cleaner' the most experienced and best hunters are reserved for this job. they are basically only called into action as a last resort (as seen in AVP2).

Not sure if the
    other 'new' breed of Preds operate in a similar structure though. They seem to have their own way of doing things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Saw it today, felt it was lacking something. Still a decent enough effort.
    Definitely the best of the sequels.

John McTiernan's original is untouchable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Original Star wars - all 3 of them - good
    Original Indiana Jones - all 3 of them - good
    Original Aliens films - all 3 of them - good
    Terminator 1 and 2 - good
    First Matrix - good
    First Predator film - good

Basically common consensus.. we're not a bunch of stoners reminising about Knight Rider or something.. those original films were all just genuinely _good_

However, every time I force myself to watch one of these new retarded sequels or Aliens v predators v teenagers or whatever, I just want to gouge my eyes out, why? because they are just ****e with no excuses

I think the only reason why people on here actually say 'oh its alright but they could have..' is because people on here have had a decade of dreadful films like ALL sequels to the above and tripe like transformers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Did anyone else think that the Spanish woman in "Predators" might be related to Anna, the Spanish woman in "Predator" who was taken captive my dutch and his team?

Just seems kinda coincidental that she is spanish and has knowledge of the events of the first film.

I hope they make a sequel/prequel that will explain it.

woo! 300th post

Advertisement