Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

levelling uneven floor.

Options
  • 19-07-2009 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

I have a concrete floor which is uneven. Its not too bad but I want I to take out some rough bumps before laying laminate. There is at most .5 of a centimeter between the surface and the bumps.

I don't want to use leveling compound as it would be too high. A Scrabbler is overkill.

Would a hired routher do the job? Is there any underlay that would compensate for the difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If it was me and the bumps were easily visible to the naked eye i would probably get a mini grinder and a suitable disk and try to rub off the high points . Never tried it before though just a idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Stratocaster

wingnut wrote: »
    I have a concrete floor which is uneven. Its not too bad but I want I to take out some rough bumps before laying laminate. There is at most .5 of a centimeter between the surface and the bumps.

I don't want to use leveling compound as it would be too high. A Scrabbler is overkill.

Would a hired routher do the job? Is there any underlay that would compensate for the difference.

I have seen people grind down preformed concrete with a 4" grinder and a special disk. You see it happen a lot on preformed concrete if its just going to be painted and the builder requires a smooth finish. I have even seen regular stone cutting disks used to grind down high spots. Drop into your local hire shop and talk to them about the high spots.

I have seen some special underlays to compensate excessive uneven floors but there expensive. After you lay the underlay you will end up with the same extra height the leveling compound will give you if not higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

If you grind off the lumps with a stone cutting disk in an angle grinder, be prepared for volumes of dust that will make it impossible to see six inches in a matter of a minute or two. You can hire powered concrete floor grinders that will do the job without the clouds of dust. All tool hire shops have versions of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i think you could be causing trouble for yourself.

if you have no experience in this job you might grind off too much then left with a low spot.

you can get a thing called a cupstone which will grind it.

if the bumps are noticible maybe you could use 3mm hardboard in the low areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Martron wrote: »
    i think you could be causing trouble for yourself.

if you have no experience in this job you might grind off too much then left with a low spot.

you can get a thing called a cupstone which will grind it.

if the bumps are noticible maybe you could use 3mm hardboard in the low areas.

Not with a floor grinder you wouldn't. They level an area and are slow speed and so controllable. Talk to your local tool hire shop for advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Cool thanks guys, will pop down to the hire shop and check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭irelandhouse

wingnut
    a leveling compound will get you up to about 6mm, would you think it would be too much >?\

it would probably be you quickest and easiest option>

Advertisement