Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buy to let on first home - possible?

Options
  • 19-07-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is currently renting out their first property and have successfully got a mortgage for a second.

We are looking to move out from our 3 bed semi, the rental market in the area is good and would cover the mortgage payments on that house.

Is this even possible in the current climate?? Otherwise I am afraid that we will never be able to move on : (

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭BankMan

In order for that to work, the rent on the first property would need to be probably 1.5 / 2 times the interest on the mortgage loan, otherwise the amount you can borrow for the second property will be reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dizms

Thanks for the reply Bankman.

Can you explain that to me in real terms if thats possible - if current mortgage on property 1 is under 800 a month, balance of 190,000 on house. Have been told rental market will cover the 800.

Want to have mortgage of 350,00 for second property.

Diz

dizms wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Bankman.

Can you explain that to me in real terms if thats possible - if current mortgage on property 1 is under 800 a month, balance of 190,000 on house. Have been told rental market will cover the 800.

Want to have mortgage of 350,00 for second property.

Diz

No probs. Mortgage of 190k, interest only repayments would be €633 (assuming 4% interest rate). Rental income would need to be €950 (if 1.5x is the calculation) or €1,266 (if 2x is the calculation). If you're getting €800 rent, the difference will be taken off your monthly income when calculating what you can borrow on the next home. If 1.5 is the calculation, and you need €950 in rent, they would treat it as if you have a personal loan costing €150 per month.

I should stress that different lenders have different ways of calculating this, but I'm just using a typical method. Approach a few lenders and you'll soon find out. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dizms

Thanks Bankman - at least that means I have some idea what is involved when I go talk to brokers. Things being as they are I think we might be stuck with current property for awhile so this could be a great option.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it,

Diz

No worries, hope it works out for you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dont forget OP, that if you rent out your first home within 2 years of the purchase date, you are liable to pay stamp duty.

Advertisement