Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Priority - College Green

• 19-07-2009 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

riding across o'connell street bridge around college green on my daily commute to work and noticed some signs up saying bus priority - college green starting the end of July. Anyone got the heads up on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

More than likely bikes will be exempt just like they are on O'Connel St and oposite Pierce St Garda Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Is there another thread on this in the commuting forum, I couldn't find it.

I'm guessing these big signs have something to do with the so called bus gates. Anyone know how they will work?

edanto wrote: »
    Is there another thread on this in the commuting forum, I couldn't find it.

I'm guessing these big signs have something to do with the so called bus gates. Anyone know how they will work?

They are they are large metal bollards that sink into the ground as a bus approaches. Do not attempt to follow a bus in a cage or bike :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUNyInW3K6Q&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/TransportforDublin/TransportforDublinProjects/Pages/CollegeGreenBusCorridor.aspx
    No, we're not allowed:mad:
    The College Green Bus Corridor comes into effect on Monday July 27th. It will restrict traffic through College Green during the morning and evening peak traffic periods from Monday to Friday. The scheme will operate from 7am to 10am each morning and from 4pm to 7pm each evening. During these periods, only public transport vehicles and bicycles will have access to the College Green location.
    This is to reduce congestion. So why the hell aren't motorbikes allowed through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Quint wrote: »
    http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/TransportforDublin/TransportforDublinProjects/Pages/CollegeGreenBusCorridor.aspx
    No, we're not allowed:mad:

This is to reduce congestion. So why the hell aren't motorbikes allowed through?

Same reason we are not allowed use bus lanes. Doesn't mean we will get pulled for using them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

I hate those things. They're pretty freaky.

That youtube video.... I can see the same thing happening a lot in Dublin.

What a mess. Sometimes I wonder how their meetings go in Dublin City Council. Say when it comes to planning things like this. They look at one of the busiest stretches of road in the country... and decide to close it down without improving the alternatives at all. Mad.

At least they could have improved the cross-city public transport. It's not like they would have to figure it out all from scratch - they could have just copied Perth.
    http://www.cityofperth.wa.gov.au/web/Living/Getting-in-and-around/Public-Transport/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

If they have those bollard things and there's room between them, grand. Looking at their map, sure cars aren't allowed to drive past that section in front of Pearse St guarda station anyway. Wonder how they're going to block off hald the road around Doyles pub all along the side of trinity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Like I'm going abide by this fag.gotry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

I can imagine a few couriers going postal over this. Gonna be difficult not to be noticed on a road with only buses and bicycles on it.

I can imagine a few couriers going postal over this. Gonna be difficult not to be noticed on a road with only buses and bicycles on it.
    You have stick very close in behind a bus and you won't be noticed as much. :D

If you ride a Bros with the tax disk in the usual position you should get away with it. (Unless there is a cop on a bike after ya)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

around the corner on dawson street they allow bikes turn left - now they stopping them in the other direction. They really p's me off cos it's the left hand not known what the right is doing - incompetence of the highest order but what I've come to expect from the DTO

Fcuk this.a €60 on the spot fine like any other road user.

Time for a DEMONSTRATION.

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=87471

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

I'd be up for a demonstration, its not like a few motorbikes are going to take up space on the raod or block traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I'd be up for a demonstration, its not like a few motorbikes are going to take up space on the raod or block traffic.
    Still gonna pollute though. Both audibly and otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

Im still gona ride my bike through town aswell...and cause far less pollution in a month then a bus would in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Flatknuckles

I have no context for you Unregistered. I don't visit Boards.ie much but you seem to have a rather polarized view of the situation. All two wheeled vehicles should be supported. Big, small, powered or not. Cyclists and motorcyclists should be working together to make things better. 2 wheels don't sit in traffic causing pollution. Giving cyclists a proper lane would improve bus flow. long live the bike.

howya victor:cool:

Im still gona ride my bike through town aswell...and cause far less pollution in a month then a bus would in a day.
    Divide the amount of CO2(and other nasties) by the number of users in a day, did you?

Not saying that bikes are big polluters or anything, but every little helps you know! Also, hopefully CIE will push ahead with those green(the one i saw was painted green!) hybrid buses (i think they were hybrid.)! [Let's not get into a discussion about how electricity is created.] They would further reduce the emissions per bus user.

P.S the less motors there are runnning around Trinity College, the better. :)

Yay for push-bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Divide the amount of CO2(and other nasties) by the number of users in a day, did you?

Not saying that bikes are big polluters or anything, but every little helps you know! Also, hopefully CIE will push ahead with those green(the one i saw was painted green!) hybrid buses (i think they were hybrid.)! [Let's not get into a discussion about how electricity is created.] They would further reduce the emissions per bus user.

P.S the less motors there are runnning around Trinity College, the better. :)

Yay for push-bikes.

Just read what you posted again - you might want to edit it.
    You contadict yourself very nicely.

My bike complies with strict emmisions standards, and is a lot less of a polutants per person than a bus, and most cars.

P.C. wrote: »
    and is a lot less of a polutants per person than a bus, and most cars.

source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

No source.

Same as your bus story. :D

But what I do know is that I will now have to use more petrol, going the long way round - this means more pollution.

And I don't need a source for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Does anyone give a rats ass about carbon emissions from their bike? I don't anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Does anyone give a rats ass about carbon emissions from their bike? I don't anyway

Hijack-AirForce1.jpg

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Does anybody give a rats ass about carbon emissions from their car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Does anybody give a rats ass about carbon emissions from their car?

Does anybody give a rats ass about carbon emissions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Does anybody have a rats ass to give?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

wat?

Go somewhere else if you want to argue.

Let's organise a demo. I could do something on the Monday, nothing else that day.

A diesel is disasterous if it's not maintained properly. So many of them give off fairly alarming cloud of smoke.

This effectively cuts off one, maybe two bike routes.

A loose tax disk hold will do some good work.

Advertisement