Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog got into trouble!

Options
2»

Comments

Their response is a disgrace. If I were you I would be ringing the district HQ and asking to be put through to the district office. If they ask what its about say its about a gun license.

When on the phone to the district office ask to speak to the superintendent. If they say he is busy and will ring you back tell them this "My neighbour was very aggressive last night with his gun and I rang the Gardai and they fobbed me off if I dont get to speak with the Superintendent I will be ringing the newspapers".

Seriously and this is from an ex-Garda. Maybe you should be posting over on the emergency services forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

When on the phone to the district office ask to speak to the superintendent. If they say he is busy and will ring you back tell them this "My neighbour was very aggressive last night with his gun and I rang the Gardai and they fobbed me off if I dont get to speak with the Superintendent I will be ringing the newspapers".

Absolutely, if he was my neighbour he would be gunless right now. I wouldn't leave the cop shop until something was done. OP, you have great patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Think about this "A man pulls a gun, loads the wapon and then threatens to discharge the weapon on a public road and the gardai dont react" Go straight to the top, under no circumstances should you let this go. This man is unfit to be in charge of a weapon. I know of no reason why anyone would brandish a loaded weapon. The chances of the gun going of accidently are high. For the Gardai not to respond straight away is lazy and highly irresponsible and unfortunatly not suprising.
    Im afraid thats rural ireland for you .Totally disgusting it could be you next he threatens to shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Your dog should really be in a pen .He could easily get on the road cause an accident or be killed himself .He could worry sheep .he could be shot by your lunatic neighbour get a dog pen and get him castrated and the neighbour too sounds like the neighbour has too much testosterone .it must have been a terrible experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Morganna wrote: »
    Im afraid thats rural ireland for you .

That may be so, it still does not allow the Gardai to avoid their responsibilities. I think this is the second thread here where the gardai are shown as lazy and in this case dangerously inept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Bond-007 wrote: »
    When it has to do with firearms the district superintendent is only officer that can remove a firearm from a holder of a firearms certificate. You really need to speak to him/her as a matter of urgency.

UPDATE

My dog pen arrived this morning.

No news from the Guards so i am still worried.

If i contact the Superintendent will i piss off my local cops as i thought i had a good relationship with them and i don't want to become their enemy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nope. I would contact the super as he is the only one that can deal with this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Re: Fencing. We have two rather large dogs and after 1st escape over the low fence, we wired it off the mains.

You did what? :eek:

Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

IrishHomer wrote: »
    If i contact the Superintendent will i piss off my local cops as i thought i had a good relationship with them and i don't want to become their enemy?

Its not that good a relationship if they have not contacted you adfter such a serios incident, there hoping you forget about it and leave them alone, contact the superintendant.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im finding it very hard to digest this. Someone pulls a shotgun and loads it in an aggressive manner at you and your pet, and the gardai ask you if you want them to have a word with them?

I suggest you contact the superintendent immediately and contact your solicitor too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Remember this, sh*t rolls down hill!..

Working from there.

(Speaking from experience).

You'll be required to make an appointment to see the Super, he/she will promise you the earth, moon & star's - then he/she push it down to a Sgt, who'll take further details off you - but he/she will cover themself and ask when the first complaint was made and he/she will promise you he'll get the member's on duty that night to get in touch with you - and it'll never happen.

But keep pushing the issue with them, your case might be the exception - but I wouldn't be holding my breath!.

In the mean time, let you and your animals give this lunatic a very wide bearth.

UPDATE

Three Gardaí called to me an hour ago.

A seniour looking strange Garda went introduced himself to me and he went through what happened again.

He was extremely courtious and came across as being very interested and eager to deal with it.

He told me they will be dealing with the matter in the next few hours and that i am not to have any communication with the guy.

I am delighted and i feel a lot happier now that they are taking this very serious.

They said they will chat to me later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

UPDATE

Three Gardaí called to me an hour ago.

A seniour looking strange Garda went introduced himself to me and he went through what happened again.

He was extremely courtious and came across as being very interested and eager to deal with it.

He told me they will be dealing with the matter in the next few hours and that i am not to have any communication with the guy.

I am delighted and i feel a lot happier now that they are taking this very serious.

They said they will chat to me later today.

With that (seemingly) sorted, now would be a good time to address the issues on your end

- get a proper fence so that the dogs are contained
    - get your fella neutered

peasant wrote: »
    With that (seemingly) sorted, now would be a good time to address the issues on your end

- get a proper fence so that the dogs are contained
    - get your fella neutered

My fence arrived today and its ready for use in few hours.

I have a neuter op booked for next Tuesday. The dog is just 9 months old i am not sure if his testicles have fully decended yet :confused:

Someone else told me he may be bit young and it could stop him fully growing but i don't really believe that to be true about not fully growing if its done too early? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Glad to hear action is being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My fence arrived today and its ready for use in few hours.

great !
    I have a neuter op booked for next Tuesday. The dog is just 9 months old i am not sure if his testicles have fully decended yet :confused:

Someone else told me he may be bit young and it could stop him fully growing but i don't really believe that to be true about not fully growing if its done too early? :o

There are arguments for both sides ..talk it over with your vet

However, in you particular situation with an intact bitch next door and neighbourly relations gone sour, it's probably best done sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

We got our lad done at 9 months and he was fine - although he was pretty much fully grown at that stage. Have GSD's reached adult size by 9 months? The vet will advise regardless.

Best of luck with the whole situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 buildingahome

Jumpy wrote: »
    You did what? :eek:

Do you have any idea how dangerous that is?

that's how all fencers work, it's a plug in device that's wired around the fence in the garden using a specific cord. Like all farmers do to keep their animals in. Very safe, and gives a mild shock when touched off. It's far safer than the dogs getting out nd chasing animals or getting run over, or shot.

Anyway, this is getting off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

This is one crazy ****ing story for a start and Im glad that you shared it with us. You seem very calm and composed. I certainly would be scared for my safety and my dogs!

Advertisement